Forums » The Lounge

Inspiration for a Pathfinder Society Character

• 338 posts
    May 3, 2015 8:29 PM EDT

Hello, everyone. It's Saryn. Some of you might remember me from about a year or so ago.

I don't really have any explanation of why I left other than that some stuff happened in my life, and I took a step back and did some things differently for a year. 

Anyway, I've a bit of a story here for you all. 

Recently in the town where I attend school, a new gaming store opened up. They have already held one Pathfinder Society game, in which I played a pre-gen character and loved the game. And now, I am tasked with creating my own character to continue playing in the sessions.

I thought to myself as I spent many a night staring at blank character sheets, that the best group of people to ask about a fantasy RPG were some of my old friends back on the Skyrim Blog, so here I am.

Have any of you played PFS or a similar game before? How do you get into the RP? Any advice for a first-timer (most of my RP experience is the digital gaming variety) that's not had much experience with tabletop RPGs before? 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 3, 2015 8:37 PM EDT

I play D&D, but I've played RP games, or role played in games, for almost a decade.

You need something that'll keep your interest and inspire creativity. As soon as a character gets boring, I stop playing them until such a time as I find them interesting again or I make changes that corrects the boring.

• 338 posts
    May 3, 2015 8:43 PM EDT

I'm hoping that the 2 weeks between each session will keep it fresh and not boring. And, theoretically at least in PFS, I will be playing with new party members each time.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 3, 2015 8:47 PM EDT

That's burn out, I'm talking dull characters.

• 64 posts
    May 3, 2015 11:42 PM EDT

Try taking inspiration for characters from non-RPG worlds. For example, try doing a character based off of a Guardian from Destiny (I find that they are very similar to the general idea of an explorer of fantastical places) or Subject Delta from Bioshock 2 (The whole game is literally about traveling through an underwater post-apocalypse).

• May 4, 2015 12:38 AM EDT

PFS doesnt really lend itself for Rp unless your group is different then those i've played with

• 338 posts
    May 4, 2015 12:47 AM EDT

Well, yeah, that's true, I suppose. My group of 3 friends and I are trying to attend the same sessions together, though, at least until we can get a more dedicated "group" D&D or Pathfinder game together. (As soon as we find a GM/DM, really.)

• May 4, 2015 1:17 AM EDT

Same here I've been DMing some games myself