Forums » Elder Scrolls

What would an honorable Nord use? 1h or 2h?

• 50 posts
    May 3, 2015 11:41 AM EDT
    A sword is faster, but does less damage. A great sword is slower, but does more damage. What so you guys think?
  • May 3, 2015 11:46 AM EDT

I'd have to say Greatsword, although I personally prefer to use one-handed weapons (mainly swords).

• 6 posts
    May 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT

Well according to some NPC discussions a Nord's weapon of choice is usually a battle axe. Although I don't think your ancestors would frown upon you if you used a sword and a shield. Many members of The Companions do

• 43 posts
    May 3, 2015 12:28 PM EDT

I personally prefer to use two-handed weapons for my Nord warrior characters. Besides the perk spread being more manageable since you do not have to split it between one-handed and/or blocking, it also looks better to have a large, deadly weapon strapped to your back! 

You obviously can't go wrong either way! I personally play the same style every time (Nord warrior with 2-handed weapons as my major style of combat)

• 43 posts
    May 3, 2015 12:30 PM EDT

Just another point to take into consideration- the majority of Nord Heroes in Sovngarde all use 2-handed weapons, including the mighty Ysgramor himself (Yes, I know he is technically Atmoran, but all nords are traced back to Atmora, so it's relevant)

• 50 posts
    May 3, 2015 12:32 PM EDT
    Good point, Bodvar.
    • 50 posts
    May 3, 2015 12:32 PM EDT
    Now, a follow up question: what 2hander looks most honorable? I used a Dragonbone great sword.
  • May 3, 2015 12:37 PM EDT

I'd say either Iron or Steel Greatsword.

• 43 posts
    May 3, 2015 12:37 PM EDT

The Dragonbone great sword is definitely the end all in terms of most honorable. Only the mightiest of heroes should wield it! In my current playthtough, I plan on bringing a Nord Hero battleaxe into Sovngarde, then rewarding my character with the Dragonbone equivalent after he defeats Alduinto use for the rest of the game.

Anything other than elven or Daedric (including those of the Daedric Princes) will suffice. I prefer Iron, Steel, Nord Hero, and of course Dragonbone.

• 1483 posts
    May 3, 2015 3:25 PM EDT

Nord Hero Greatsword

• 92 posts
    May 3, 2015 3:43 PM EDT
    Knevel the Tongue dual wielded Edju (sword) and Okin (war axe).
    • 622 posts
    May 3, 2015 5:39 PM EDT

Either. A weapon doesn't make a Nord honorable.

• 68 posts
    May 3, 2015 5:50 PM EDT

I have to go with Tae on this one. 1h or 2h is a personal choice. I would suggest anything that isn't Mer or Daedric in origin for a Nord. The top of the list for me would be Skyforge Steel, Nordic, Dragonbone, and Nord Hero. They all just have that whole heroic and honorable warrior vibe to them.

• May 3, 2015 6:16 PM EDT

Nords favor two handed weapon,but using other weapons won't bring shame upon you.

• 295 posts
    May 3, 2015 6:41 PM EDT

Agree with others that it's not the weapon that makes a Nord honorable, but...

Wuuthrad is an option. 

• 168 posts
    May 3, 2015 6:56 PM EDT

Weapon of choice doesn't really determine your honour, its all in how you use it, so no backstabbing stealth tactics and the like. Don't use daggers or magic, and you'd be really honorable. Bow and arrows are debatable though, people have differing opinions about them.

• 64 posts
    May 4, 2015 12:15 AM EDT

Dragonbone Battleaxe, mainly because:

1. Nords seem to like battleaxes the most. The highest damage ancient Nord weapon (discounting bows) is the battleaxe. Ysgramor's signature weapon was a battleaxe. Why he had a shield is beyond many people.

2. It's incredibly badass in a Nord way, with a modern twist and yet you also feel as though this weapon will have songs sung about it for ages after your time is over.

Another alternative would be the Ebony Battleaxe if you don't want to do smithing. Daedric is too evil looking and everything else looks kind of weird. Iron is good for low levels. If you want, you can also use the Headsman's Axe. It's dark and grim, like Skyrim itself and you yourself nearly died because of one.

• 295 posts
    May 4, 2015 5:56 AM EDT

Well, the question you ask yourself is can you go about hunting dear in the forest by swinging your battle axe around? I don't think hunting and therefore the use of archery would be disapproved of. Take Aela, for example, she uses a bow. Now, when I play an honorable character, regardless of whether they're a Nord or not, I don't sneak, so the archery game becomes quite a bit different. Actually it becomes quite a bit more fun. 

• 116 posts
    May 4, 2015 8:16 AM EDT
    Ysgramor was arguably Skyrims greatest warrior. To assume he only used his battle Axe doesn't make sense to me. As a legendary warrior of his calibur I would think he would be proficient in 1h/block and even dual wielding as well. that's why his shield is in the game.
    Did you see the cinematic trailers for ESO. That nord used a 2h battle Axe and dual wielded as well in the fight against that zombie Breton guy.