Forums » Elder Scrolls

Which is More Death. Fire or Frost?

• 33 posts
    April 26, 2015 4:41 PM EDT

So I think that most people, especially in Skyrim, would consider frost magic more death magic than fire, because necromancers are known to use it. However on the other hand fire could also represent death magic, first lets take a look at both.

Fire

The reason fire would be associated with death spawns from hell. Hell is generally depicted ablaze, the "fires of hell". Many demons also have flaming eyes or breathe fire as well. Evil spirits become fiery when enraged, thus the death aspect.

Frost

The main reason frost is considered death magic is the necromancers of course. However when you think about it, bodies are cold after they die. Ahzidal's ring of necromancy makes the undead explode to frost not fire, also the draugr use frost magic.

The Theme

Personally, I think it depends on the theme of the build/character which would be death magic. A grim reaper focused on skulking in the shadows while his undead fight for him, would probably be backing them up with frost. But a flaming warrior of death clad in daedric armor would prefer to roast their foes to prepare them for hell.

What do you guys think is more Death-esque?

• 87 posts
    April 26, 2015 4:47 PM EDT

I would have to give this round to Frost. Though fire certainly gets connected to death in some works, notably those involving Hell, it seems far too "lively" to be associated with death for me. Frost, on the other hand, seems much more "dead". It is unmoving and cold, whereas fire is really very active. I don't think your "Flaming Warrior of Death" embodies death as much as he does evil, which fire does a nice job of portraying. The difference comes down to the fact that Frost is a very depressing substance.

• 65 posts
    April 26, 2015 4:52 PM EDT

Frost is my opinion only because I like the cold more than anything that's why I sort of hate it hear in Alabama because it's warm all the time.

• 131 posts
    April 26, 2015 4:56 PM EDT
    Necromancy wise ice preserves the body while death eradicates it.
    • 485 posts
    April 26, 2015 4:56 PM EDT

Burnt to death or frozen solid, a mans gonna die either way. 

• 131 posts
    April 26, 2015 4:59 PM EDT
    Actually, frost would most likely freeze the liquid inside the body and then make far more likely to shatter.
    • 201 posts
    April 26, 2015 5:13 PM EDT
    No you wouldn't freeze the body, you would get it cold and keep it that way until you raise it up through necromancy. If what you were saying is true, than vampires would be very brittle and very fragile, Because Vampires are icy cold to the touch, so therefore, FROST preserves the body, not ice...
    • 87 posts
    April 26, 2015 5:14 PM EDT

It would kill you before preserving the body. If you don't flash freeze the body, you would have crystals form. That would be fun.

• 131 posts
    April 26, 2015 5:15 PM EDT
    Well if you use ice magic it is well below 0 degrees celsius or 30 degrees fahrenheit, so the body would be frozen.
    • 700 posts
    April 26, 2015 5:16 PM EDT

Definitely frost.  It gets cold under six feet of dirt.  

Fire is too emotional.  It can be used to represent how someone was in life, like in Kodlak's funeral where he was sent off with fire.  Demons use it to represent their fury and fierceness.  

Death is cold stillness. 

• 131 posts
    April 26, 2015 5:16 PM EDT
    For preserving it would be fine under the right conditions but in the field it would more than useless.
    • 201 posts
    April 26, 2015 5:19 PM EDT
    That's why you don't Attack the body right after freezing it lol Death means still and lifeless, which is what Ice does to you, whereas Fire Just burns until there is only bone left(although not in Skyrim)
    • 131 posts
    April 26, 2015 5:21 PM EDT
    Point
    • 1 posts
    April 26, 2015 8:41 PM EDT

Honest,y Shock is better. The magic strikes faster and fewer enemies have defense against that element and in Skyrim it drains magicka, which makes it potent against mage-types.. If I had to choose between Fire or frost, I'd go Fire for several reasons. It also flies faster than Frost, can be used for survival (fire/light/heat/cooking/etc), and often comes with additional damage over time whereas Frost tends to just slow an enemy.

• 1 posts
    April 26, 2015 9:36 PM EDT

That's a tough one.

In one aspect, death is cold, much like a corpse is cold; while fire is the warmth of life.

In another aspect, cold numbs and puts to sleep, while fire causes searing pain and agony.

So I guess it really depends on what aspect of death you're going for.  If you're shooting for a corpse / sleep aspect, I would say Frost.  If you're going for the pain/agony/burning in a lake of hellfire, go fire.

• 58 posts
    April 27, 2015 8:16 AM EDT

It is impossible as saying who is stronger sub-zero or scorpion.

• 201 posts
    April 27, 2015 8:39 AM EDT

So it would be the actual Drain health ability? Sir you have necromancer and Blood mage confused, Blood mages use life force to heal themselves and to KILL others(Drain health) while necromwncers use illusions and fear based abilities- Now I am going to say this, Dorian, one of the companions for DAI, was a Necro but the skills that the auto level up gave him Fire based abilities! I guess Fire is a Fear based thing, as for feeling goes, definitely go for frost. It all depends on the skill set of the Necromancer who is being controlled by you. So you choose, should you use the Illusion perk Aspect of terror for fire? Or will you be like every other necromancer? 

• 131 posts
    April 27, 2015 8:40 AM EDT
    Dont forget the Serpent stone or paralyze.
    • 201 posts
    April 27, 2015 8:56 AM EDT
    I do have a point though, Fire=Scary=You die because you are scared
    • 201 posts
    April 27, 2015 9:08 AM EDT
    Ok it's your choice whether you pick fire or ice, I'm not going to argue, I like ice and fire, both represent death in their own little ways. Technically anything can resemble death, If you know how it works forwards and backwards, Resto for example.