Forums » Elder Scrolls

Nelaf's Guide to Getting Your Face into Elder Scrolls Oblivion f

• 365 posts
    April 18, 2015 5:07 PM EDT

Okay, not sure how many people know about this, or have done it, but I thought I'd make a simple guide so others can do it too!

I'll be including screenshots and download links for all the appropriate tools needed like FaceGen 3.5 and the FaceGen to Oblivion Converter.

1.) Using a good quality camera take some snaps of yourself, but with very clear instructions:-

- Remove all hair/glasses, other facial accessories from your face, otherwise it REALLY messes up the texture. (Beards are okay)

- Make sure the picture isn't too highly contrasted, too light/dark.

- Make sure you are facing the camera directly looking into the lens.

- No facial expressions, either.

Basically, an I.D photo is perfect for this.

...And just as an example...

Don't take the p*ss I know I'm not the best looking.

2.) Side photos will also drastically improve the quality of the final product, try taking pictures from the left and the right (you'll understand in a minute).

Also, I highly recommend 'cleaning' the picture up in Photoshop too, messing about with the brightness/saturation/contrast can change help your results, so don't worry if you don't have the best camera available, I took mine on my phone and it's only something sh*t like 3.2 megapixels 

3.) Now using a USB cable, upload your pictures onto your computer (Maybe put them into a folder on the Desktop named 'FaceGen photos' for example.)

4.) Download FaceGen 3.5 Link HERE:- http://www.facegen.com/downloads.htm

(Download the 'Modeller 3.5' Free Version)

5.) Open up the FaceGen program and you'll see this -

6.) Switch to the 'Photo Fit' tab at the far right in the program, and click 'Next'.

7.) Browse to where you stored your pictures you uploaded earlier, and open them, they should appear in the program next to the weird default guy - click next again.

8.) Line up the green crosses with where it's telling you to. Try to be as accurate as you can, after you're done it'll zoom in a bit so you can further correct the placement of the markers. Do this for all pictures, if you've included side photos as well.

9.) Click next and wait until it processes the images (Takes no longer than 3 minutes, but can take longer if you have less cores in your computer or the image quality is extremely good (not a bad thing though).

10.) Once it's completed you should be met with a (hopefully) not too horrifying 3D image of yourself. Click File, then save it on your Desktop, you'll need it in a minute.

discussions/13001-14000/13989-FACEGEN35.jpg

11.) Open Oblivion and start a New Game. When you get to the character creation screen don't do a single thing EXCEPT choose the race that closest resembles your bone structure (I find Imperial works the best for anyone)

This shouldn't need to be said but anyone thinking "I wonder what I'd look like if I chose Khajiit?" DON'T DO IT. It'll look like complete dragon dung and you'll have to cry yourself to sleep tonight.

12.) Name your character whatever you want and save the game in a new slot. Now exit the game.

13.) Download FaceGen to Oblivion Converter link HERE:-

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a46cd0bhqapd2dl/facegen_to_oblivion.zip

It's okay, it's a safe download. I checked

14.) Save and extract the files, and then open the executable file it should look like this:

15.) Browse and then select your FaceGen file (NOT the pictures you took, the file from the modeller program it'll end in .fg)

16.) Select the race that your savegame has (Yes, of course it has to be the same one, don't ask daft questions). Then select your savegame file (It'll have your character's name in the title).

17.) DON'T select 'Allow race etc. to change the shape of the face or anything like that - it'll bugger up the hardwork the modeller did to create your beautiful head.

18.) All done? Open Oblivion and admire your own face! Now you can be the hero of your own story!

Other fun things you can do - see how stupid you look in clothes, OR go into Google Images, save someone else's face and repeat the steps above to play as MORGAN FREEMAN!

POST YOUR RESULTS BELOW!

- Nelaf

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 18, 2015 5:26 PM EDT

You should probably mark that this is for PC players at the top.

And boo for anything that'd require one to shave. Hairless man-children running around Cyrodiil. Disgusting.

• 365 posts
    April 18, 2015 5:35 PM EDT

No you don't have to shave, I worded it poorly, beards are okay just nothing else.

• 365 posts
    April 18, 2015 6:17 PM EDT

Tbh I really would like to see other people's results, I wonder how well it would look with better quality camera's too.

C'mon I bet some of you are much better looking than me hahaha

• 145 posts
    April 18, 2015 7:39 PM EDT

Sadly I only have Oblivion for console... u_u

• 1595 posts
    April 18, 2015 8:49 PM EDT

Damn, I want to play as Morgan Freeman

Pretty cool Nelaf!

• 365 posts
    April 18, 2015 9:00 PM EDT

I know right!

• 87 posts
    April 19, 2015 10:14 PM EDT

You look fine in real life, but Oblivion you is really very creepy.