Forums » Elder Scrolls

A Guild Well Done: The Dark Brotherhood

• 1467 posts
    April 13, 2015 10:08 PM EDT

One of the guilds that get more praise generally. Is this a well-written, well constructed Guild. Here we talk about Quests, Items, Members and a bunch of other topics. Feel free to talk about the Assassins (compare them to other games even) as much as you want and also leave some ideas for the next Guild Well Done.

• 201 posts
    April 13, 2015 10:37 PM EDT
    The Night Mother was a very great addition, as well as The Black hand. The Blade of Woe was one of the best daggers in Oblivion and Skyrim. I also like the "Prayer", Sweet mother sweet mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear. Gotta love it, But that's not all, The DB Armor was the best part for me...
    • 237 posts
    April 13, 2015 10:51 PM EDT

The only thing I don't like about the Dark Brotherhood is how minimal the quest to destroy them is.  The first time I went for that option instead of joining or just ignoring them, I was massively underwhelmed.

• 237 posts
    April 13, 2015 10:52 PM EDT

I've never liked the DB chestpiece much, but I agree about the rest of the armor set!

• 253 posts
    April 13, 2015 11:41 PM EDT

It kinda annoys me how the questline has to get all "mystical" with the Night Mother and being the chosen Listener and all that. I get how it fits the lore, but honestly, I join a guild of assassins to do some stabby-stabby, not get caught up in some huge otherworldly fate stuff. But then again that is a thing with all of Skyrim's questlines, as in going off on mystical tangents instead of sticking true to their theme.

• 72 posts
    April 14, 2015 12:08 AM EDT

The DB has always been about the Night Mother tho

• 72 posts
    April 14, 2015 12:08 AM EDT

The Dank Brotherhoes*

Smoke Skooma Hail Sithis

• 253 posts
    April 14, 2015 12:11 AM EDT

Yeah I acknowledged that, it just doesn't sit with me. 

• April 14, 2015 1:58 AM EDT

I hate the Dark Brotherhood; I find them totally unsympathetic, and I consider them pretty much the only faction in Skyrim that's pure evil. They can be pretty funny, I'll give them that...death-worshiping cultists are a pretty hard sell, so it makes sense they'd go for the black humor to try and soften it a little bit.

However, there's a big difference between "funny" and "not being absolute sociopaths who need to be put down for the good of everything that's right and just in this world." Even the Thieves Guild is more amoral than evil; they just want to make some quick cash. The Dark Brotherhood, on the other hand, revels in causing pain and suffering. Death is too good for those monsters.

• 1217 posts
    April 14, 2015 2:07 AM EDT

^^^ Pretty much what this guy said. I think the Guild's plot line is more or less well done, as far as being a good story, but I find nothing relatable about its members. Also not big into their style. The only time I really liked wearing that armor was in the Sheik build.

• 1595 posts
    April 14, 2015 2:08 AM EDT

The best thing about The Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim is the return of Lucy Lachance.

File:OB-npc-Lucien Lachance 4.jpg

No. The best thing about the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim is being able to wipe them all out.

• 1217 posts
    April 14, 2015 2:14 AM EDT

That's actually a really fair point, Zach. Why can't a guild just be a guild without a Daedric something-or-other lording over it?

• April 14, 2015 2:16 AM EDT

Hasn't that always been the Dark Brotherhood's "thing," though? I haven't played previous TES games, but they've always been Sithis-worshipers, right?

• 1217 posts
    April 14, 2015 2:22 AM EDT

I'm more referring to guilds in general. It makes perfect sense for the College, because magic, and I suppose the Companions are more indirect, but every guild seems to have some mystical affiliation, and the Dragonborn is always the cosmic center of it. The Thieves Guild could've totally done without the Nocturnal thing. And thought it can hardly be disputed that the Dragonborn earns the right to be the Listener, it could just be a given title, rather than being pre-destined by the Night Mother. Skyrim's just awash with destiny!

• April 14, 2015 2:23 AM EDT

I guess they figure that, if you've got the gods and god-like beings just lying around, they might as well use them in some plots. It doesn't bother me all that much.

• 1217 posts
    April 14, 2015 2:26 AM EDT
    • 249 posts
    April 14, 2015 3:35 AM EDT
    That's how Morrowind's guilds were, Mage's, Thieves, and Fighters Guild were completely separate from any Aedra or Daedra. It was kinda nice not having the et'Ada meddling.
    • 1217 posts
    April 14, 2015 3:38 AM EDT

I didn't realize my reply was eaten. It appeared normally when I posted it. I just said I hadn't thought about it until Zach mentioned it. I like the "one-off" quests for Daedric artifacts more, I think. I love me some artifacts.

• 249 posts
    April 14, 2015 4:11 AM EDT
    Yeah I was wondering what the hell you were getting at lol. But I totally agree. It felt like such a cool novelty when I stumbled across a Daedric quest in past games. Even the artifact quests seem like they're pushed on you in Skyrim. Boethiah's insane attacker, the random afflicted, lush Sam at every damn tavern, Meridia's Beacon pops up in random loot, Azura's follower seems to be on a pilgrimage throughout Skyrim instead of toward Azura's Shrine. And gods forbid you go to Falkreath or Dawnstar.
    • 1217 posts
    April 14, 2015 4:20 AM EDT

Or Markarth.

• 237 posts
    April 14, 2015 4:23 AM EDT

Or talk to people on the streets of Solitude.  But hey, we like Uncle Sheo!

• April 14, 2015 10:46 AM EDT
    ^^ Kill the psychopaths!
    • 1467 posts
    April 14, 2015 10:48 AM EDT

Guys no killing the psychopaths...Instead

• 125 posts
    April 14, 2015 1:13 PM EDT

I generally reserve the DB questline for my really evil characters, but to be honest only one of them has ever been a frequent member. Much as I love the characters and their quirky dark humor, the questline leaves me feeling uneasy all throughout. I actually had an easier time with the Thieves Guild, because the members were more easy-going and the story didn't leave me feeling like a sick freak the whole time.

• 159 posts
    April 14, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

And it allows you to get two awesome armor sets. Guildmaster theives guild  armor and nightingale!