Forums » Elder Scrolls

Morrowind: To buy, or not to buy

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

Really? Where? I must not be looking very hard...

• 66 posts
    April 11, 2015 6:28 PM EDT

I played Morrowind on xbox1, it has much more content than the following games, but I didn't like the combat or magic mechanics. Fun note: alchemy doesn't have any caps, so you can stack fortify intelligence potions till about 3000 then make a levitation potion. You'll fly so fast only the loading screens will slow you down.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 11, 2015 7:04 PM EDT

Ok, so, my PC has this thingy: Intel Pentium CPU 2127U @ 1.90GHz while systemrequirementslab.com says Morrowind needs at least 500 MHz Intel Pentium III, Celeron, or AMD Athlon. Mine has more than enough RAM (3.88GB free) disk space (408GB....I think), and the graphics card is a Intel (R) HD Graphics, whereas Morrowind requires a 32 MB Direct3D Compatible video card with 32-bit color support and DirectX 8.1, so I'm guessing I'm ok there as well.

So really, I'm fairly certain my PC meets all the requirements except maybe the CPU, as mine is a Pentium and Morrowind needs a Pentium III. If anybody understands any of this, maybe you can help me out :D. Any help would be appreciated.

• 95 posts
    April 12, 2015 9:03 PM EDT

I have reached 120 in both Speed, Acrobatics and Athletics in Oblivion with my High-Elf Shield Mage. It was overkill for running speed XD

• 11 posts
    April 17, 2015 3:24 PM EDT

What would y'all consider the must-have mods for running Morrowind on a modern PC and making it look and play a little more like a modern game?  I don't really care about the mechanics-- that !@#$ was old and busted when the game came out, let alone now-- but I'd really like to experience the story and explore the world.

I'd wait for Skywind, but let's get real, that's never going to actually be finished.  What about Morroblivion, though?  Did that ever get decent?

My PC is a freaking beast so no worries there.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 17, 2015 7:25 PM EDT

So I got Morrowind (PC), and wanted to thank everybody for their input! So far I'm enjoying it and somehow figured out how to install mods :D

• 367 posts
    April 17, 2015 9:08 PM EDT

Please tell me that you got the GOTY edition...

When you get to Caldera, have a look inside the guard towers and you'll see something that'll remind you of Skyrim. Also when you've had a good dabble in Alchemy, I'll tell you where to get a better set of Alchemy equipment.

What race are you? What class did Socucius suggest once you answered the questions?

By Hircine do I miss spears. I hope ES 6 brings them back.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 17, 2015 11:25 PM EDT

ALCHEMY!

HA HA HA HA!

I just forced myself to try Alchemy in Skyrim, and haven't even considered it in Oblivion lol.

But yeah, I did get the GOTY edition. I chose Redguard, and went straight to Custom Class because I was more worried about whether or not my computer can run the game. I pretty much made a Crusader: Long Blade, Restoration, Medium Armor, Block, Armor. My first try at bigger games (especially TES games) is pretty rough, and I just go for basic skills. Spears I'm quite excited about, but plan on mostly saving them for a different playthrough.

What I'm really enjoying is the Console, being able to do pretty much whatever you want is awesome :D.

I was wondering though, is there any way to increase the render/sight distance? I've got it up to far on the Options menu, but its still really close.

• 1467 posts
    April 17, 2015 11:53 PM EDT

Alchemy is the skill of the gods

• April 18, 2015 12:40 AM EDT

Hot tip: Spears are crap. Like, really crap. They're the weakest weapon and primarily used to level Endurance.

Morrowind is infamous for its view distance of 30 paces. It may take an afternoon to do, but Morrowind Graphics and Sounds Overhaul is entirely worth it. If you play on a modern computer (I'm talking something made in the last 5 years), then its "performance" options aren't really necessary. You can easily double or triple the view distance and enhance the textures dramatically.

• 87 posts
    April 18, 2015 12:46 AM EDT

I have seen it retail for around $20 at GameExchange and GameStop.

• 87 posts
    April 18, 2015 12:49 AM EDT

Your processor is completely fine (1.9 GHz = 1900 MHz, and Intel changed to a four-digit numbering system after their first few lines of processors); in fact, your whole system more than surpasses the requirements.

• 87 posts
    April 18, 2015 12:54 AM EDT

First of all, I would avoid going into the game with the "old and busted" attitude; this is a situational assumption, and will only ruin your experience.

Go ahead and play Skywind or Morrowblivion, but not instead of Morrowind. Morrowind's charm is in its mechanics, which aren't successfully simulated (nor were they supposed to be) in either "remake". Play the original game.

I recommend avoiding mods for your first playthrough. This is standard policy for most games, but Morrowind in particular. Even the bug-fixing mods change the feel of the game; it is not polished, and it shouldn't be. Play mods after a few hundred hours, when you can get a feel for what you want changed or improved in the game.

• 87 posts
    April 18, 2015 1:00 AM EDT

I love spears! They allow you to maintain a reasonable distance from your opponents while doing reasonable damage and not running through ammunition. I use them in nearly every build I create, whereas I rarely (if ever) level Endurance (and yes, I play at 100 difficulty).

I think you are understating MGSO's graphical requirements. Though it does run very smoothly at high settings on my $5,000 gaming computer, it uses a significant amount of resources; most people overestimate their systems (usually the people running on proclaimed "gaming rigs") and end up having to change settings after getting 5-10 frames per second in town. It is a demanding overhaul.

• 249 posts
    April 18, 2015 2:24 AM EDT
    Yeah spears definitely don't suck. Complete opposite IMO. Especially a bound spear. I prefer them for their great range and uniqueness in games like these. Just make sure to thrust with spears and slash with halberds ;)
    • 30 posts
    April 18, 2015 2:04 PM EDT

SorcererDave makes some great points about the greatness of Morrowind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0jiOpD-AQ

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 20, 2015 7:25 AM EDT

You know, I really didn't foresee the complete lack of magicka regeneration. And the almost complete lack of restore magicka potions. Besides that, though, its really fun so far. 

• 11 posts
    April 20, 2015 11:24 AM EDT

None of that answers my question.  What I'm getting from that is, "don't play Morrowind, you're gonna have a bad time."  Got it.