Forums » The Lounge

What is your family root's/ancestor's and don't ever be embarras

• 58 posts
    April 9, 2015 2:24 AM EDT

In this discussion just tell what is your origin for example are your ancestors Scandinavian then say it mine are  Numidians/Berber's and plz don't post any stereotypical joke's or racist or religious joke's, don't be shy.

• 35 posts
    April 9, 2015 2:51 AM EDT
    I most definitely am not embarrassed by my ancestors. My family has been English for generations, yet I am Australian but I do say a few words as a Pom would pronounce them which usually tends to mocked by my friends.
    • 58 posts
    April 9, 2015 2:53 AM EDT

Finally some one who has the ball's to talk about his origin, I need to see more people. 

• 161 posts
    April 9, 2015 3:35 AM EDT

I'm not afraid of my Blood and am actually quite Proud of it.

Both my Father and Mother have a long line of Puerto Rican Ascent. On my Father's side My unique last name has been traced to Portugal and Spain. I have reason to believe in Ancient Times it might have been tied to Roman and/or Byzantine relatives. On the other hand, on my Mother's Side Its Just Puerto Rican until my Great-Grandmother who is from Spain, with a Puerto Rican Husband (Great-Grandfather) Who eventually has Native American/ Taino blood. 

• 131 posts
    April 9, 2015 3:44 AM EDT

Well, for me half of Europe.
    Specifically Spain, France, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Denmark, Russia and Native South American. (don't remember which tribe but it was one from Chile)

• 9 posts
    April 9, 2015 10:48 AM EDT
    I belong to the ethnic group of people called Jatts. I am a proud Indian. I don't know much about my mother's ancestry but my paternal side has a lineage of soldiers ( dating back to the 15-16th CE.) called the Bhangi misl and our roots are traced back to Mongolia. I also share lineage to the Indian Rajputs who travelled from Rajasthan to present day Punjab. I am very proud of my Indian blood and my country.
    • 125 posts
    April 9, 2015 10:55 AM EDT

My mother's side of the family has its roots in Germany, that much I know. I've also heard tell that we have ancestors in the Cherokee tribe. That's about all I know.

• 1467 posts
    April 9, 2015 11:11 AM EDT

Ben though it's not a horrible comment or anything the author has requested that no stereotypical jokes be made, I think it best that you respect that. 

plz don't post any stereotypical joke's or racist or religious joke's, don't be shy.

• 1467 posts
    April 9, 2015 11:19 AM EDT

Not a personal problem here Ben, though I do think it looks a little better now. (Though I would personally just say Native American/American Indian)

• 30 posts
    April 9, 2015 12:08 PM EDT
    Hey DB / Ben,

I saw this thread and thought I'd give my 2 cents. For Ben, think he expressed it the best way he could cause the American indians are actually hail by a different name I think. In fact; the only reason why they'd be called Indians I suppose is due to the fact that Columbus set sail to find India and ended up in america, saw our distant cousins and probably for confused I supposed.

Took em a while to realize the Brits "found" em first though... But alas, what do I know?

For I though living in Singapore, in this birth this "ancestry" of mine belong to a long line of hindu's of south India who trace back to the land of parashuram, what is proclaimed by the Indians over there as Kerala... A very idyllic and beautiful place, with this body's origins flowing back to the line of Kshatriya Of the Clan Nair.

Then again, this notion of I in itself, as s Hindu, is not of the body and may yet call it false....

As of Indian blood I found it ok for ben's reference to the dot in his comparison of the feather and the dot... For what else is this but a reference to a long line of culture and religion that has transcended time itself and in some cases Believed to be the very bedrock of civilization, culture and the most ancient seat of knowledge?

The rishi' of the Vedic ages founded the basis of Maths, science, philosophy, culture, etc contributing much as our Mesopotamian and East Asian counterparts. As diverse a culture unified and of religious acceptance & tolerance without bound (for Santhana dharma has no founder, beginning nor end), this bloodline of warrior wise men this body belongs to in this birth, bears the wisdom of the world in it's bosom and pride in it's stride.
    • 1467 posts
    April 9, 2015 12:22 PM EDT

True enough, I don't personally have a problem with the original comment (just saying the author said no stereotypical jokes) 

• 30 posts
    April 9, 2015 12:25 PM EDT
    Indeed Ben, which is why I said I found it ok... No offense taken either as a person in general not nor as one of Indian origin.

After all, regardless of race, creed, language or religion, when we bleed, the color of our blood is red... Making us all... Humans.
    • 19 posts
    April 9, 2015 12:58 PM EDT

I live in South Africa now, but I think it's safe to assume my ancestors were English post 1066 AD. My surname is Montague which comes from France and moved across to England after the Battle of Hastings.

Apparently the Montagues were granted land and titles by William the Bastard. I love both Great Britain and France, and the Scandinavian countries. The surname itself means something to the effect of 'Man from the Mountain' or just 'of the Mountain' - maybe why I love countries like Canada and why I love Skyrim eh? 

My first name means Wise, Wolf lover or Wolf-kin, and comes from Old Irish, and my middle name means Defender or Protector.

• 12 posts
    April 9, 2015 1:22 PM EDT

My name is Martijn Matthijsse and I am from the Netherlands. My greataunt tried to find out where my father's side of the family orginated. She found out our family name suddenly emerged at the beginning of the French Revolution. The Matthijsse family were servants of the French Royal Court. During the Revolution they fled to the Netherlands where the family began working as merchants and laborers in shipyards. A tradition that was continued until the death of my grandfather (he was the last tugboat owner in the family).

Not a lot is known from my mother's side, but looking at the surname I think the roots are in the Netherlands. My mother, father, I and my brother all look like a typical Dutch person (blue eyes, dark blond hair, long etc.). So far I know there is a branch of the Matthijsse family in America, but I do not know where that part of the family lives. As for my mother's family, she is the last one left :-(

Now I live in Austria (probably permanently) so the Matthijsse tree will (hopefully) live on in another country. I am really curious how the surname will change over the coming generations :-)

• 237 posts
    April 9, 2015 2:16 PM EDT

Proud Scotsman

• April 9, 2015 2:34 PM EDT

The indian legends talk about pushing people who were there first off their land.

• 78 posts
    April 9, 2015 3:00 PM EDT

Greece. Great Europa.

• 8 posts
    April 9, 2015 6:58 PM EDT

German and English, I can trace it all the way to the Mayflower on my Mother's Side, I do not know  about my father's side as much though.

• 237 posts
    April 9, 2015 11:42 PM EDT

That's a good place to start!  But not to finish.

• 87 posts
    April 9, 2015 11:51 PM EDT

My ancestors are primarily British, but I am completely American.

• 627 posts
    April 9, 2015 11:58 PM EDT

I can trace mine all the way back to Australia 

• 63 posts
    April 10, 2015 7:43 AM EDT

well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what all my blood holds. i do know i have ALOT of german blood (both my first and last names are german), a little irish blood, and some native american blood (cherokee i believe?) there might be more, but i haven't ever really just dug up my roots.

this is a very interesting topic though mido!

• 4 posts
    April 10, 2015 8:05 AM EDT
    Lived in Australia all my life but I'm Irish with a dash of Indigionous Australian from my great great something.