Forums » Elder Scrolls

Mercer Frey--Interesting Antagonist, or Stereotypical Evil Villa

• 18 posts
    April 7, 2015 1:52 AM EDT

Am I the only one who wished that Mercer wasn't the traitor to the Guild? I was pretty disappointed when I found out--it was just too predictable. If you want to introduce the villain long before revealing their villainy, you don't make them dislikable from the beginning. I think it would have been much more interesting if it turned out Mercer was good at heart, despite being overtly rude, and he begrudgingly accepted you once you earned his respect. Instead he was a bad character through and through, completely one-dimensional. I wish the traitor had turned out to be Karliah, or another, less conspicuous guild member. What do you lovely fellow malcontents think?

• 41 posts
    April 7, 2015 12:24 PM EDT
    I would have loved it if it was vex. That would be why she "botched" the golden glow mission. She had th skill to complete it, but the incentive to fail.
    • 1 posts
    April 7, 2015 12:28 PM EDT

I'm just happy it wasn't Delvin. I'd hate having to put that guy down...

• 485 posts
    April 7, 2015 2:17 PM EDT
    I would have loved it if the quest line had enough depth to make someone less predictable the traitor. It's always struck me as odd that the self proclaimed best infiltrator in the guild failed such an easy mission.

Odder still is that someone with such pride in their skill, would have nothing to say in response to the young upstart, who joined the guild mere hours ago, pulls off the Hiest without fail.
    • 5 posts
    April 7, 2015 3:07 PM EDT
    As soon as I played the Thieves Guild, I knew Mercer was either going to betray me, or he was going to be betrayed by someone else. Why? Look at every other quest line except the Bards College, Dragonborn and the Main Questline.

DB Leader - Astrid. Killed by you.
    Companions Leader - Kodlak. Killed by Silver Hand.
    College of Winterhold Leader - Savos Aren. Killed by Ancano.
    Volkihar Clan (DG) Leader - Lord Harkon. Killed by you & Serana.
    Civil War Leaders - GEN Tullius & Ulfric Stormcloak. GEN Tullis killed by you OR Ulfric, Ulfric killed by you OR GEN Tullius.

What do they all have in common? That fact that they are all faction leaders. At the end of their quest lines (Except Civil War and the Dawnguard), you become the leader of those factions. So, naturally, after doing those quest lines, and then joining the TG, I naturally expected Mercer to die at the end, and he did. That fact is what I hate about all the quest lines. The leader dies, and you become new leader. It happens in all of those quest lines, and I hate it :(.
    • 133 posts
    April 7, 2015 4:16 PM EDT
    Agreed.
    • 1441 posts
    April 7, 2015 9:56 PM EDT
    Never trust a Frey.....the North Remembers
    • 13 posts
    April 7, 2015 10:28 PM EDT

I think the set up was too obvious also. I played the Thief quests first and I knew right away it was going to go like it did. I hoped as I played that it would be something else, that I was being led astray and a surprise was coming, but nope. Frey was an ass right away and so he died that way. If he'd turned out to be one of the good guys I would have loved it. Or at the least if we the player had been given the option to side with him. I mean I could get behind him not agreeing with the whole Nightingale thing. I never liked the forced religious side of the Thief questline. If Frey had turned on Nocturnal and allowed me to join him I would have. Something about the whole sticking it to those in charge, even god like beings like Nocturnal, just fits where a thief is concerned if you ask me.

• April 7, 2015 10:47 PM EDT

Always be skeptical of the one in charge. 

• 1483 posts
    April 8, 2015 4:42 PM EDT

Agreed. Brynjolf should've been the traitor

• 5 posts
    April 8, 2015 5:24 PM EDT
    Now this is something that would of made the TG much more interesting near the end. The person who brought you into it, ends up betraying you. Bit cliche, but still better than the original ending.
    • 229 posts
    April 8, 2015 9:03 PM EDT

I wish it was someone else, like Vulpes said, it would've been interesting if it was Vex, or Sapphire maybe?