Forums » Fallout

Favorite DLC

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 6:50 PM EDT

What was your favorite dlc in Fallout 3 and New Vegas? Give reasons, share, explain. Was it the tone, the environment, the enemies, the story, etc.

Mine is Dead Money.

The feeling of constantly being watched... Of being hunted... The lack of trust between you and your fellow "companions"... The excellent story of all the characters involved... And the Ghosts... What's not to love about it?

(I have another discussion idea coming up that will be BIG, some might say like a MOUNTAIN. But that, is a story for another day. Anyways, take a look at those Geiger counters kiddies, and be safe.)

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:17 PM EDT

Individually?

Broken Steel in FO3, for it's continuing of the story and feeling finally really taking it to the Enclave. Also, Tesla Cannons. The fall of Liberty Prime is epic, and feeling so involved with the Brotherhood of Steel. It was the kind of feeling I'd end up getting used to in repeated playthroughs of New Vegas in warring over the Dam. The Pitt is a close second, because Purfurator.

In New Vegas...it's a tougher call. Each DLC has things I love and things that drive me up the wall. I'll say that Dead Money has the least such frustrations, and does each of the things you mentioned very well. Plus it lets me buy everything I wanted ever. But I think I have to give it to Lonesome Road. It introduces some of my favorite weapons, armor and characters. I always rolled with ED-E as my nonhuman companion, so that DLC was a big payoff. The setting and backstory are really interesting, if somewhat convoluted. Though it paints a picture of the courier's backstory that not all characters will feel suits them, it usually works fine with my characters, and gives them some "canon" depth without forcing this deep emotional relationship/commitment like the FO3's use of Dad.

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:33 PM EDT

I agree, Broken Steel added a lot of good content, including continuing the game.

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:34 PM EDT

Your opinion on Point Lookout?

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:37 PM EDT

I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. My understanding of it when I bought FO3 was that it was very horror/zombie esque and I really don't like horror/zombie games, so I resisted getting it for a very long time. My friend who got me into Fallout eventually convinced me to try it, and it wasn't as creepy as I was expecting, and the story was plenty interesting. But like the thieve's guild, I played it mostly to get the achievements and haven't gone back to it since. There was nothing in terms of items, perks or weapons that are tempting enough to return for.

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:46 PM EDT

I don't know... I'm a sucker for a double barreled shotgun and axe like the dismemberer. Also it had an interesting tie in to an area back in DC I feel many missed, that deserves a lot of attention cause of how amazing it is.

• 490 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:55 PM EDT
    I hate to boil down my favorites to individual weapons but:

I am in love with Point Lookout for adding the Double-Barreled Shotgun within the FO3 realm. Shotguns are my favorite weapons in any shooter so naturally the big bad double-barrel is an automatic win for me.

I am also in love with Honest Hearts for A Light Shining In Darkness within the New Vegas realm. I very much enjoy 1911 model handguns and own a few so this just sent me over the edge when I realized how destructive this weapon is

Those two weapons were some of my favorites for those two games. In terms of story?:

Fallout 3 DLC story wise has to go to The Pitt for me MAINLY for location reasons as I lived in Pittsburgh for a while and the setting was very visceral. Broken Steel is an obvious and close second with Point Lookout also getting in my higher ranks of DLC.

New Vegas is a bit tougher but I have to say that Old World Blues is my favorite among them all. Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and Lonesome Road were good, don't get me wrong, but there was some real character in the setting mixed in with some great humor to make it my favorite.
    • 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:57 PM EDT

That's something I miss out on simply by having no familiarity with that area. Like I've driven through just about all the territory in New Vegas, but I can't for the life of me learn the DC wasteland.

The only shotgun I really use in FO3 is the combat shotgun, and I've never done a melee character in that game; just not a fan of most of those weapons, with the notable exception of the Shishkebab.

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:00 PM EDT

The 1911 (also my favorite model of handgun) and the Thompson are almost enough in and of themselves to give Honest Hearts the top spot. I often pair the Thompson (without mag upgrades) with Riot Armor and NCR trooper armor.

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:02 PM EDT

I'm talking about the Dunwich building... For those who have went there probably felt a shiver up their spine.

• 490 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:06 PM EDT
    How dare you bring up the Dunwich Building...

Nightmares for weeks...
    • 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:08 PM EDT

The Dunwich Building... Otherwise known as "The reason people are afraid of feral ghouls or ruined buildings"

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:17 PM EDT

I don't remember if I completed that quest. I know which building you mean, though. Was there an achievement attached?

• 1483 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:25 PM EDT

Fallout 3 - Point Lookout 

A whole new area with interesting side quests, fun weapons (I loved Microwave Emitter), Punga Fruit! :)

Fallout New Vegas - Dead Money

Being forced to survive in Sierra Madre was an amazing experience. Characters were great, weapons were fun, survival aspect was top notch

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:30 PM EDT

Should be

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 9:05 PM EDT
    Not sure why, but I don't remember much beyond the typical creepy atmosphere, and the guy who seems to have turned ghoul.
    • 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 9:35 PM EDT

The necronomicon? I know that's not what it's called, but it's what it is and I remember only how to pronounce it not spell it.

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 9:36 PM EDT

Krivbeknih

• 11 posts
    March 28, 2015 11:08 PM EDT
    Dead Money hands down.
    The whole feel of "a city of the dead, burried inside a red cloud" was enough to make me love it, but it also had *great* characters and a sad tone to it, wich is why it's my favorite.
    The background music is also great, really haunting.

I still have "Begin Again" on my cellphone and I listen to it sometimes.
    • 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 11:14 PM EDT

I have it on my phone, too, together with the menu theme :D

• 9 posts
    March 29, 2015 8:27 AM EDT
    I would have to go with point lookout as my top favorite because of the mutant red necks, double barreled shotguns and the lonely vibes of the swamps.

If only they had horse armor from oblivion... ;)
    • 65 posts
    March 30, 2015 8:46 AM EDT

My favorite DLC, tough choice. I'd have to go with either Dawnguard, because of sexy Serana, or Dragonborn because the epic shouts. My favorite shout is either Bend Will or Cyclone.

• 1483 posts
    March 30, 2015 9:01 AM EDT

Good choices. Except those are Skyrim DLCs 

• 9 posts
    April 8, 2015 9:15 AM EDT

Old World Blues any day man.

• 8 posts
    July 20, 2015 9:18 PM EDT

FO3 has Broken Steel. It has a cool story, interesting missions and the best DLC reward in the entire game.

FONV has Honest Hearts. The reward sucks, but the story and the environment is great. I loved exploring this place, and meeting Joshua was an honor and a privilege.