Forums » Fallout

Galaxy News Radio (quest)

• 700 posts
    March 28, 2015 1:37 AM EDT

By show of hands (posts, whatever), how many of you complete this quest on every new game?  

Or, how often do you complete it on new games?  

And what do you think about the completion of the mission being required to be able to listen to the radio?

I reluctantly complete it every time.  I think it's bad design to require the player to suffer through a mission on every game just so the player can listen to the tunes of the D.C. Wasteland.  Enclave radio is stale after burning through it's thirty minute propaganda playlist.  I want to hear Butcher Pete!  Not struggle to listen to songs through static.  

Would you kindly share your thoughts? 

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 1:49 AM EDT

I usually do it, but I've never really not done the main story. In fact, it hasn't been until Skyrim that I've considered not doing the main quest in a game. But I only listen to the radio about half the time. Sometimes I think it's more atmospheric to RP that it's not working.

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 5:57 PM EDT

Also, Bioshock reference? So do you not like the quest because it's required to have clear radio, or because of the quest itself? Or because it doesn't fit your RP? Would you mind as much if the quest was different, or would you rather that the radio just be fully audible and normal from the start?

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 6:35 PM EDT

To be fair, you can skip a majority of the story by just finding dad right away.

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 6:36 PM EDT

Since the quest isn't particularly challenging or annoyingly long I think it's fine. Besides, nothing of worth is given easily. Plus, I enjoy Three Dog dialogue on and off the radio so even if I don't want to do it, that makes it all worth it.

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 6:50 PM EDT

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "dad storyline" in FO3. There have been a couple of times that I've skipped GNR by just finding him myself. But there are tons of other quests that a character could be built around.

• 1913 posts
    March 28, 2015 6:53 PM EDT

I do as well (FNV Story > F3 Story IMO)

• 700 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:00 PM EDT

Indeed.  It's what I do.  

I don't like the quest because it's required to have clear radio.  Ignoring that, the mission itself is fine.  I would prefer that the radio be clear from the start, or at least have an alternate means of getting it clear.  I don't know what that would be though.  

As a follow up and a response to Bryn, 

As it is now, the mission feels required.  Music in Fallout helps cultivate the atmosphere and is entertaining on its own.  I don't know if there was music in FO 1 and 2 like we have in FO3 and NV, but I think it has become an integral part of the Fallout experience and I'd wager that most people complete it every time even if they won't be finishing the story because of how important the music is.  

• 1217 posts
    March 28, 2015 7:02 PM EDT

I definitely agree.

• 1483 posts
    March 28, 2015 8:20 PM EDT

Never cared for the radio. The soundtrack felt a much better fit for me. And I liked doing that quest for meeting Sarah Lyons 

• April 29, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

I usually end up doing it for the clear radio, even when it doesn't fit with my RP. I killed 3-dog once with an evil character and it felt really weird not hearing him comment on all my other atrocities the rest of the game.