Forums » Elder Scrolls

vampires or dawngaurd?which is your pick

• March 11, 2015 1:31 PM EDT

The dawngaurd dlc is amazing,new weapons,enemies,powers,spells,armor and much more but there always one thing that drags me down...vampires or dawngaurd?the vampires are so cool,you got vampire lord,spells,death hounds and badass sword(s),artifacts and cool mage stuff but dawngaurd has crossbows, armor ,spells, trolls,weapons etc...and is the main focus of the dlc.

But in the end...I choose the vampires.

• 41 posts
    March 11, 2015 5:32 PM EDT
    I usually go with dawnguard. I really enjoy the artifacts spells companions and the characters. The vampires are all like look we're creepy cannibals FEAR US!!! My favorite vampire was the smith, to me she had the most personality. Duraak was my favorite on Dawnguard side.
    • 1595 posts
    March 11, 2015 5:37 PM EDT

Dawnguard. I've always been about knights, even as a kid playing with toy castles and miniature figures. As a teen I was all about the Knights of Solamnia from Dragonlance and Paladins in Ravenloft, so my choice is easy to make, especially as it involved a massive castle and cool armour.

I like how the vamps of the dlc are unashamedly evil, a nice return to form and bucking the trend of good-hearted vampires in modern media. Yet beside from a few playthroughs I have mostly left them unexplored in favour of more heroic types.

• 168 posts
    March 11, 2015 6:59 PM EDT

Unless I want the Ring of Erudite, I always go Dawnguard because I particularly loved the crossbows and sun spells. I played as a vampire only a few times and was interesting to see their perspective, especially Serana, who wanted her clan to live forever in the shadows instead of waging war against Tamriel if the prophecy come true. But my favorite vampire is Feran Sadri. I immediately became his fan during the quest to obtain the rings of blood magic when he said "Some say Molag-Balls himself gave these rings..."!!! Poor guy, I bet Molag-Bal enslaved his soul when I killed him as a Dawnguard for mispronouncing his name . But Isran is another fun character. Sometimes he tells you to avoid sleeping because sleep is for the weak. Later on he is sleeping on his bed

• 1217 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:14 PM EDT

I pick whichever suits the character more. I love both sides, and there's some amazing gear, so it's a DLC I try to do on almost every character. If I were forced to pick one I like more, it would probably be the Dawnguard. Overall, I think they've got more content, between items and spells, while much of what the Vampires have is devoted to vampirism itself, rather than benefitting any type of character.

• 161 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:21 PM EDT

I go with The Vampires. Vampire clan In TES are so cool. Being a vampire Is just awesome by itself but The Vampire Lord Form is just the Cherry on top.

• 13 posts
    March 12, 2015 10:39 AM EDT

It's difficult to pick a side and both questlines are good and funny...

I admit that the dawnguard is fascinating, I love the armored trolls and the dogs that you can take with you, I love crossbows and I really like their gear in general, but this side have two major flaws, in my opinion, if you join them and don't complete the quest right away, the vampire attacks are bit of annoying, mostly because they are so frequently and kill every people in town that you may need, like shop keppers, blacksmiths, possible wifes and so on, combine them with the dragon attacks and your villages will become deserts... The second flaw is that most of them look like to me somehow fanatics: "duh, maybe it's a vampire, I don't know but, kill him!" much like the vigilants of stendarr and I hate fanatics, but with that being said I really like the Dawnguard side.
    On the other hand, vampirism is great and make you powerfull, choosing a Dunmer and the Lady Stone also negate almost all the weaknesses so you are really strong, I love the drain spell and the Vampire Lord's vampiric grip is quite a bit of fun indeed, then if you add that they are characterized very well you got a really good side to join, especially if you are playing an evil character. Only flaw: you can't marry Serana.

• March 12, 2015 3:02 PM EDT

Indeed.villains always seem more thought out

• 1217 posts
    March 12, 2015 3:24 PM EDT
    Probably because of the writers trap of making heroes only react to action by the villains. Or in the case of the Dawnguard, act very little at all.
    • 95 posts
    March 13, 2015 1:46 AM EDT

Vampirism:

- Allows me to utilize all the rings of Blood Magic and Amulets of Night Magic, enhancing the combat prowess of Vampire Lord to make it more powerful and tactical than even Werewolf.

- Allows me to create a godly human form with my Alternative Vampirism.

- Allows me to delve into a greater form of Blood Magic.

- Allows me to effectively double the leveling speed of Lycanthropy if I keep Werewolf Form instead of becoming an Alternative Vampire. It also allows me to give Werewolf the Sunlight Weakness and create an even greater challenge.

Those are my reasons why I would choose Volkihar.

• 44 posts
    March 13, 2015 3:11 AM EDT

I tend to lean towards the dawnguard in the vast majority of my playthroughs. The dawnguard's questline just seems more complete than the vampire's... less disjointed so to say. The Volkihar quest line is a big jumble of WTF. While it does give a lovely assortment of spells, most of my characters that have been made couldnt benefit from being a vampire either... soooo... crossbows, anti-undead magic, cool armor and ancient anti-vampire gear it is!

• March 13, 2015 3:23 AM EDT

Depends on the character and roleplay for me. For example: A Necromancer would join the Volkihar, but a Knight would join the Dawnguard. I do find myself siding with the Dawnguard a lot, so I guess I'll have to go with Dawnguard.

• 5 posts
    March 13, 2015 9:18 AM EDT
    Dawnguard, has everything. Vamps are for magey characters which I don't play much coz I suck at it.
  • March 13, 2015 3:03 PM EDT

Me too I just couldn't resist lol

• 367 posts
    March 16, 2015 5:31 PM EDT

Dawngaurd, every time. As I said before, biting necks and sucking blood is so unsanitary. Crack open the ribs and tear out the heart.

Isran has never complained about my eating habits, although there was that argument we had when there was a flea infestation in the Fort Dawnguard. But since I've used that tonic from Arcadia in Whiterun, everythings been fine.

And all those bodies laying on the table? What's with that?.

I like my food fresh and wriggling, with a dash of screams.

• 1217 posts
    March 16, 2015 5:35 PM EDT

biting necks and sucking blood is so unsanitary.

Yeah, but disease immunity :D

• 131 posts
    March 16, 2015 5:37 PM EDT
    Can't be worse than werewolves.
    • 367 posts
    March 16, 2015 5:40 PM EDT

I don't care... I'm an Argonian. Besides Arcadia has plenty of potions for curing any disease.

And before anyone says Lycanthropy is a disease, let me tell you... It's not a disease but a way of life. :D

Sotek, Loyal Hound Of Hircine

• 95 posts
    April 8, 2015 11:57 AM EDT

It would be interesting to see the "Loyal Hound of Hircine" have a fight against "The Volkihar Titan." I have to wait for a few things, but I will definitely have to see a fight like this arise XD