Forums » Elder Scrolls

skyrim vs oblivion.what side are you on?

• March 11, 2015 10:08 AM EDT

Skyrim was a great game yes,but oblivion was,in my opinion,a wee bit better in immersion and in feelings.you reallly felt what you were doing was right(or wrong if you were bad).skyrim like do this do that and oblivion is the same thing...but they make it in a way that seems like your helping not being a slave.so my opinion is oblivion.whats your choice(no,morrowind or any other elder scroll game is a choice).

• 1217 posts
    March 11, 2015 11:21 AM EDT

For me, and I'll admit this is probably really unfair, but Oblivion was just too ugly to enjoy. The only thing about that game that wasn't an aesthetic turn-off was the glass armor (which, as it happens, is how I was introduced to TES before I knew it was TES). So just thanks to that, I prefer Skyrim.

• 1595 posts
    March 11, 2015 11:33 AM EDT

Oblivion was my entry to the series so holds a special place in my starry heart. I think the guild quests were so much better, the Thieves Guild probably being my favourite of the lot. The main quest isn't as epic as Skyrim's, but the dlcs more than made up for that in my opinion.

As for immersion, there were just so many options to keep you in game. Spell Making, potion-making, dlc houses - loved that Castle! Also the armour: chain mail, mithril, awesome!

• 268 posts
    March 11, 2015 1:03 PM EDT
    In the short time I played it, I have to say Oblivion. I played a bit of a min/max character, going for the best attribute bonuses for creating the most powerful build. It was great fun, albeit very slow levelling, which made me put off the quests with levelled rewards (Dark Brotherhood) so I never managed to play enough. Bought the Anniversary addition too, so came with the KotN and SI. Loved the Thieves Guild though, that was perfect, as well as the cities. Skyrim just felt dumbed down in terms of immersion, though did have other advantages, like combat, graphics and ease of access. I've played far more Skyrim too.
    • 1441 posts
    March 11, 2015 2:04 PM EDT

Well, neither for me is better. Yeah, Oblivion was my intro to the series, and it holds a place in my heart, but both games have pros and cons. 

• 11 posts
    March 11, 2015 5:13 PM EDT

I have been a fan of The Elder Scrolls for a long time, but I cannot shy away from the game that I loved the most.... Oblivion! I loved the story and the soundtrack. Sure there are things that could have been a little better, but that didn't matter to me. In short, Nostalgia for the win!

• 41 posts
    March 11, 2015 5:30 PM EDT
    Oblivion was actually my first video game. So I have fond memories. Also, I can still draw a lot of value out of it, awful character models aside. Sorry skyrim. Bros before hoes.
  • March 11, 2015 6:50 PM EDT

Same,when I play it its like walking into a nostalgia party.

• March 11, 2015 6:51 PM EDT

Same,also my first video game.

• 1217 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:00 PM EDT

Damn you people make me feel old...

edit:Also, Vulpes, I love that you put Skyrim on the "hoes" end of the spectrum XD

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:02 PM EDT

I actually played Oblivion after Skyrim, so it didn't seem amazing to me. I also haven't put as much time into it as Skyrim, but I do enjoy playing it, at least until the graphics start affecting my brain. The DLC are also quite good.

• 457 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:25 PM EDT

My first video game was Pong. There, does that make you feel better? xD

• 457 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:27 PM EDT

Oblivion was my intro to TES, and I loved it. But the leveling system annoyed me... a lot. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I think I have to go 'hoes' on this one ;D

• 1217 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:30 PM EDT

That made me smile, Shin. You're a gem.

• 700 posts
    March 13, 2015 9:40 AM EDT
    Skyrim. I've played Oblivion twice, once before Skyrim and once after. Didn't finish either playthrough. The mechanics were frustrating and the adventuring was boring.