Forums » Fallout

DiD in Fallout?

• 700 posts
    February 26, 2015 11:26 PM EST

I have never done a Dead is Dead playthrough in the two Fallout games I've played, Fallout 3 and NV.  Has anyone else?  If you did, what skills and weapon did you choose, and if you haven't what skills and weapons would you choose?  Also, have you/would you play on Hardcore?

If I were to do it, I'd play on hardcore with survival, sneak, and guns primarily, using the Rat Slayer and eventually the suppressed Sniper.  Sneak with suppressed weapons is easy mode.  

• 1913 posts
    February 27, 2015 7:19 AM EST

I always do DiD in 3 and New Vegas. It's really fun. Hardcore mode also adds to it. Actually, the build I use most is my Survivalist Build

• 1483 posts
    February 27, 2015 7:22 AM EST

Haven't tried it. Although I expect it to be easier than Skyrim - no broken killcams 

• 1913 posts
    February 27, 2015 8:20 AM EST
    Well if you use VATS there is the occasional glitch where you freeze unable to defend yourself
    • 1483 posts
    February 27, 2015 9:35 AM EST

Don't remember encountering such a glitch. I guess bad things are forgotten with time 

• 1217 posts
    February 27, 2015 9:41 AM EST

I just read an article the other day about a player who went through NV without ever healing. It definitely sounds like a really fun challenge.

• 700 posts
    February 27, 2015 10:12 AM EST

I think it happens the most with lever action weapons, especially the lever-action shotgun.  I've died many times after getting frozen in vats because of it.  

• 700 posts
    February 27, 2015 10:13 AM EST

Do you still know where to find that article?  I'd be interested in reading it.

• 1217 posts
    • 1217 posts
    February 27, 2015 10:16 AM EST

's kind of funny, because I also did the same thing he where I tried to completely purge the DC wasteland. Thaddeus "Tad" Barbaric was one of my favorite characters ever XD

• 61 posts
    February 27, 2015 2:17 PM EST

Always DiD with Fallout New Vegas, and always hardcore. It's a real shame!e when your character is in a completely inescapable position and you just know you'll be deleting their file within ten minutes. I fell in the Thorn pit once but couldn't reload because of the hostile guards and my rule about not loading if your character can't wait (and not loading unless I had really wasted my time). 

• 237 posts
    February 27, 2015 4:52 PM EST

Aww, here I was hoping you were referring to the earlier Fallout games. :C

Naw, it's pretty doable in the FO3 engine.  Things get interesting if you play with FWE mod on pretty hardcore settings. (Try tripling all damage, you'll see what I mean!) Just like with Skyrim, sneaking around and shooting first really helps.  Focus a lot on using VATS and don't get into fights you're not capable of winning on the first try.