Forums » Elder Scrolls

Debate - The Death of Torryg: Beaten in Fair Combat or Brutally

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:05 PM EDT
    No, what Skyrim (and the Empire) needs is military allies.
    • 743 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

I'm sure he'd do some trading with Hammerfell.

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:14 PM EDT
    What makes you say that? The Nords don't seem happy to have the Alik'r around for some reason. What other Redguard have we got(that aren't expats)?
    • 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:16 PM EDT
    It doesn't have to. Mankind divided (herp, pun intended) will fall. Whether all at once, or in province sized pieces.
    • 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:28 PM EDT
    Aye, the very same.
    • 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:32 PM EDT
    The next Deus Ex game is called Mankind Divided XD

To answer your question, I'm not sure they would. At least I can't say confidently one way or another. That could go a lot of ways, but all things considered, I think they'd be slow to come to the Empire's aid.
  • August 19, 2015 10:37 PM EDT

I could see an independent Skyrim offering aid to the Empire...with a lot of posturing about how they're now equals and how they should be very grateful for the assistance.

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:37 PM EDT
    Yeah, it's probably not the best case, since Whiterun is never pro-Stormcloak.
    • 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:38 PM EDT
    What concessions would Skyrim want from the Empire?
    @AMQ yeah, I could see that happening. I guess it'd be a question of "would they do it in time?"
    • 743 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:39 PM EDT

@Borom The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:43 PM EDT
    That tends to apply to neutral parties. Right now Skyrim (that is too say, Ulfric) considers both the Empire and the Dominion enemies.
    • 743 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:44 PM EDT

I was reffering to Hamerfell....

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:44 PM EDT
    Mmmmmm, that's almost as divisive, and definitely unlikely to strengthen the position of Men on Tamriel. But that'd also depend on the standing of the Bretons and Redguard.
    • 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:46 PM EDT
    So...you mean if the Dominon invades Hammerfell again? Or just that since they've both fought the Dominion they would ally? There are a lot of logistical problems with that alliance.
    Edit: not as many as is thought.
    • 743 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:48 PM EDT

I see no problem with that alliance. They both hate the Empire and the Dominion. The only reason the Nords are suspicious of the Alikir is because they are extremely private.

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 11:16 PM EDT

Well, because that's what the Dominion does, as per their plan to drag humanity down into obscurity.

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 11:17 PM EDT

Under what circumstances would they ally, though? They both hate the Empire, but Hammerfell wasn't stepping up during the Civil War to back the Stormcloaks.

• August 19, 2015 11:18 PM EDT

The only reason the Nords are suspicious of the Alikir is because they are extremely private

Source? And what do you mean by private? If you mean isolationist and xenophobic, that applies to the Crowns, traditionally. Post-Great War Hammerfell is uncertain, to say the least.

For those who might be not aware, Hammerfell consists of various independent city states and two main factions, and the Nords started a war with one of them back in the third era. What Bethesda will do with that is, of course, another question.

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 11:27 PM EDT

Are the Alik'r under the Crowns or the...ah, I get your username now 

No, but seriously, which ones do the Alik'r serve?

• 168 posts
    August 19, 2015 11:32 PM EDT

A lot of people seem to assume Hammerfell and an independent Skyrim would be friendly, but I don't think it'd be that simple. What did Skyrim do when Hammerfell was kicked out of the Empire and left alone to fight off the Dominion? Nothing. They just turned their head (metaphorically) and let it happen, like all the human provinces did. I don't think Hammerfell's going to be buddy-buddy with any of the human provinces for a while. Not openly hostile, but probably not friendly. “But why Hammerfell and Skyrim wouldn’t join forces against the Thalmor and the Empire? The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?”. Wrong, very wrong. This alliance wouldn’t happen for 3 reasons:

1) First of all you're forgetting the Nord's great pride. It's part of what makes them WHO they are. They are not going to ask for help, which means it'd be up to Hammerfell (who already won their fight against the Thalmor) to approach Skyrim for help. And why would they if they don't need it? ON TOP OF THAT have you ever hear of a town called Dragonstar? It's a town that was half controlled by Skyrim, and half controlled by Hammerfell after the Nord INVADED AND TRIED TO TAKE OVER. The Redguards won’t just let Nords into their territory to "assist" unless they REALLY need it, which at present, they don't.

2) Do you think mutual hatred is enough to forge an alliance? Ulfric's Nords hate other races and the Redguards of Hammerfell don't care much for anyone at all. Just because they hate the same group of people doesn’t mean either of them is going to approach the other for help. And FYI, an alliance is defined by a mutual benefit, not hatred. Do YOU know how alliances between nations work? The hatred is obvious, but not enough to forge an alliance. When in Elder Scrolls lore has any alliance been formed based solely on mutual hatred? It's almost always based on benefit, and Hammerfell DOESN'T NEED anyone at present, they're doing fine on their own. Do you think Ulfric would send his Nords to die in the desert? Especially after losing so many during the civil war? Even if he could spare the men (he can't) what other benefit would he offer to Hammerfell? Tiber Septim had to support a losing side in a civil war, and win that civil war to have Hammerfell people allow themselves to be allied with the Empire. They don't just go around making pacts with people due to mutual hatred.

3) Jarl Balgruuf can tell you what Ulfric's motto is when it comes to forging an alliance: "Side with me or face my army", so no, Hammerfell/Skyrim alliance will never happen.

• August 19, 2015 11:38 PM EDT

I think it's a bit of a mistake to apply individual human emotions to an entire nation, particularly one that's not very centralized. Two nations don't have to be best friends with benefits to see the need for a mutual protection pact or some sort of economic cooperation. If the need is strong enough, it'll happen.

• August 19, 2015 11:49 PM EDT

It is... convoluted.

Using the Alik'r when referring to the Redguard is misleading as most of the Redguards do not live in the Alik'r Desert, although many who do are Crowns.

The general rule is the Redguards in the coastal city-states, save for Hegathe, are Forebears whereas those in the eastern region (Elinhir, Skaven, and Dragonstar) are Crowns, and much of the Kingdom of Sentinel consist of Crown fiefdoms despite the city of Sentinel being Forebear.

And the Alik'r is also home to tribes who are... something else.

• 1217 posts
    August 19, 2015 11:53 PM EDT

Hmmm, very interesting. Thanks for the illumination.

• 237 posts
    August 20, 2015 12:27 AM EDT

I didn't know it was a competition?  Still, I'm glad you got that off your chest.

• 237 posts
    August 20, 2015 12:27 AM EDT

You bring up valid points about the current political situation, of course.  I did mention this is more than I'd expect to inflate out of most duels.  We'll have to agree to disagree about what Alvor means.