Forums » The Lounge

History Buffs, Favorite Time Period?

• 133 posts
    January 24, 2015 7:03 PM EST

I was wondering how many history buffs inhabited the blog here, and what all you guys' favorite time period to study is.

Personally, I like everything from the beginning of the Civil War to before the Vietnam Era, especially the Gilded Age and World War Two. I always loved military stuff as a little kid, but since I found all the deeper information, my childhood passion has survived. 

Can't wait to see everyone else's historical interests!

• 1467 posts
    January 24, 2015 7:17 PM EST

I'm a fan of anything B.C I guess but the Dark Ages are another hobby, basically if it comes under the category of Ancient or Medieval History I'm interested in it. But I don't mind learning about Modern History, the World Wars, the Cold War and probably the Vietnam War are the more interesting parts, for me anyway. 

• 253 posts
    January 24, 2015 7:30 PM EST

I have an interest in World War II armored warefare and I am a connoisseur of modern Chinese history (last 200 years~). I know a LOT about modern Chinese history, probably related to living there for 3 years :P

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    January 24, 2015 9:32 PM EST

I think most of history after the American Revolution is uninteresting. It is the majority of what's taught and idolized in the States, and after a while it just gets boring. I have a tendency to be Euro-centric, though, and find little interest in most African and Asian civilizations.

I'm really more interested in mythologies, religions, and philosophies and how they evolved over time then what nation-states emerged and fought who where and why. I recommend everyone study the origins of the monotheistic traditions of the Middle-East, for instance, as well as the Indo-European pantheon traditions stretching from Northern and Western Europe to India.

• January 24, 2015 9:37 PM EST
    This. The closer we get to the modern day, the less interested I tend to become. Though I'm no where near being a history buff.
    • 1595 posts
    January 24, 2015 9:44 PM EST

I'm fascinated by the American Civil War, the Crusades the Roman Empire and Dark Age Britain.

• 253 posts
    January 24, 2015 9:50 PM EST

I'm the opposite, the modern, the more interesting. I love to analyze it and look at the patterns of development in recent history and how it correlates to today's world. But then again, I am a huge history geek.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    January 24, 2015 9:54 PM EST

Actually, I'll make an exemption. I love learning the history of modern science and the Enlightenment.

• 133 posts
    January 24, 2015 10:01 PM EST

I'm interested by Modern American mainly because I love the study of the class and race relations, mainly the latter in the Gilded Age.

• 1217 posts
    January 24, 2015 10:23 PM EST

I'm not a history buff, but the most interesting period to me has been the time leading up to the American Revolution, the Great Awakening, mostly for the literature of the time.

• January 25, 2015 12:36 AM EST

Anything up to 1775. My favorite is anything of the Enlightenment age, though. Especially the Seven Years War. All wars after and including the Revolutionary War are all piontless to me.

• 116 posts
    January 25, 2015 12:46 PM EST
    The American frontier is probably my favorite era. The wild west, cowboys, famous bandits and the injustices done to the native American peoples. This would of been an incredible time period to actually live in.
    • 41 posts
    March 10, 2015 8:15 PM EDT
    There's something I love about the development of Asian culture over history especially the Edo period in Japan. They isolated themselves, and either expanded, or were forced out.
    • 1 posts
    April 24, 2015 12:29 PM EDT

Right there with ya buddy

• 40 posts
    April 28, 2015 6:15 PM EDT

I'm fascinated with history in general especially from an anthropological perspective, as in: what does this tell us about human nature? about the nature of civilization?

Ancient Rome, in particular, fascinates me being the foundation of so much of western civilization.