Forums » Elder Scrolls

Master Crafting Perks

• 207 posts
    January 22, 2015 3:29 PM EST

Does anyone else think that the aquiring of the master perks in the crafting skills(extra effect, dragon smithing, that one perk from alchemy thats pretty lame) is a bit unspectecular? I mean you just get the perk after a lot of crafting. I usually do my last level up in enchanting with the book twin secrets, so it feels like id learn it from there. I think the master perks should have special quests like the master spells. Well and alchemy's master effect should have some additional/different effect, like being able to create potions/poisons without an alchemy table. What do you think? If you think the mastery perks should have special quests, how should they look like?

On a side note, does anything else thing the dragon priest mask should be affected by dragon smithing, rather than daedric smithing?

• 661 posts
    January 22, 2015 3:32 PM EST

Goes to show that the Masks are in deed Daedric, and we've all been lied to. 

• 179 posts
    January 22, 2015 3:37 PM EST

I think it'd be kinda weird if we had to do something special for the last perk in each of the crafting skills. I mean, you don't have to do it for any of the others. Also, I think the smithing perk for dragon priest masks should be determined by their material. For example, Rahgot should be affected by Orcish Smithing, since it's made out of Orichalcum.

• 207 posts
    January 22, 2015 3:42 PM EST

Yeah but the last crafting perks (in smithing and enchanting at least) are things that not many people know how to do. Like we know from one person that created a double enchanted weapon and no one in skyrim has ever forged a dragon armor (at least i suppose)

Would make more sense than just all being daedric. The one mask where daedric would seem logical would be miraak, but  bethesda made it unimprovable to make it even more unlikely someone uses it.

• 207 posts
    January 22, 2015 3:57 PM EST

The coward on the edge of death?

• 179 posts
    January 22, 2015 4:19 PM EST

The existence of double-enchanted weapons (Bolar's Oathblade for example) suggests to me that the knowledge of it is more common nowadays, considering that a book detailing how to do it (Twin Secrets) is being published and spread around Skyrim. As for Dragon Smithing, according to legend, High King Herald forged the Jagged Crown from the bones and teeth of ancient dragons. Also, dragonplate and dragonscale armore can show up as random loot if your level is high enough. Someone must've forged them.

• 1467 posts
    January 22, 2015 7:07 PM EST

An intelligent Two-Handed Warrior maybe

• 1467 posts
    January 22, 2015 7:09 PM EST

I think most of the Master Perks should require something special, the Master Spells make sense but it would be cool if say we had to train with someone specifically to master a skill, like you cannot get pas 90 without training under them and learning the theory. 

• 207 posts
    January 23, 2015 6:25 AM EST

Have to agree with the double enchanted weapns

The Jagged Crown is pretty ancient. And The Random Dragonloot is pretty pretty rare

• 229 posts
    January 27, 2015 12:59 PM EST

I liked Dragon smithing, but after awhile, I realized that I respected the Dragons in Skyrim too much to make things out of their bodies. I mean, you have the soul of a dragon anyway, if it wasn't for the different body types it'd be like killing one of your relatives and making armor out of their skin and bones.

As for Daedric smithing, I started thinking that it was wrong to wear the armor of murdering demons :P

• 207 posts
    January 27, 2015 1:12 PM EST

Its like making armor of the skins and bones of a relative who thinks you are a piece of sh*t that has to be enslaved and who tries to kill you. Without any reason.

• 44 posts
    January 27, 2015 2:17 PM EST
    Is that not normal? I thought everyone had an Uncle Bob sweater.
    • 1483 posts
    January 27, 2015 6:25 PM EST

I don't like Purity perk. There are few benefits to picking it. The only recipe from UESP useful potions list that I find worth taking the perk for is

Fortify Two-Handed + Regenerate Stamina from Fly Amanita, Troll Fat and Bee

Other perk-specific recipes have at least one useless effect for a situation where you can use them. Not really worth it. And for the recipe mentioned above, I'd rather drink more common and useful potion

Fortify Two-Handed + Regenerate Stamina + Resist Fire with Fly Amanita, Bee and Dragon's Tongue

I rarely used that perk, felt a waste to me.

• 229 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:05 PM EST

Would you make stuff out of your relative? I still kill them, I just don't make stuff out of their bodies.

• 1217 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:09 PM EST
    I don't consider my Dragonborn related to Dragons, so no, not a problem.
    • 229 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:12 PM EST

While they're not technically "related" I still think that they have somewhat of a similarity due to the shared souls.

• 207 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:15 PM EST

Wouldn't be wearing bonemold the same. It are the bones of people whose soul is similar to the ones wearing it.

• 229 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:18 PM EST

I don't wear Bonemold

• 207 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:19 PM EST

I think its better to not answer this question...

But honestly, it would have more common with skinning just some other human than a real familiy member, dragons are related in the same way to the dragonborn as people from his race.

• 88 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:21 PM EST

Hear hear, I didn't even get that perk in my alchemy based build.

• 207 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:21 PM EST

Sorry wasn't clear enough.

I asked you if you think that people wearing bonemold would be same as db wearing dragonplate/dragonscales

• 229 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:23 PM EST

Well, Bonemold technically is making armor out of people

• 207 posts
    January 28, 2015 2:26 PM EST

I think its the reason why i see alchemy as the least grindy craft. If i think about enchanting, I think extra effect, if i think about smithing it mostly daedric/dragonbone and alchemy is just alchemy. Reaches maximum power at level 80, after which the crafts begin to become really grindy.

• 229 posts
    January 28, 2015 3:21 PM EST

I level up Alchemy, but the only useful things I can think of doing with it are invisibility and paralysis. Otherwise it's just a way to make money, and if you can recall my old forum post, I always have to much of that in Skyrim. Lately it's only gotten worse though, because each playthrough I learn new ways to earn money, and now I take almost all the loot in a cave and sell it.

• 189 posts
    January 28, 2015 4:16 PM EST

Dude, Alchemy is far and away the best crafting skill (despite the crappy capstone perk as Vazgen discussed).

Fortify <magic school> potions affect magnitude and/or duration, which is absolutely incredible for endgame mage min-maxers. This affects both spell damage and enchantment damage. On the Crystallurgist, my Destruction potion (+150% in the endgame) was doing the following:

• Average of 83 elemental damage per weapon hit ... despite not investing a single level-up or perk point in the Enchanting skill!
    • 45 DPS Flame Cloak (base is 8 dps)
    • 510 damage from dual-casted Incinerate
    • 81 DPS from dual-cast Flames (base is 8 dps)

Without Destruction potions, those would have been ~40% as strong.

There's also the fact that the Fortify Archery alchemy effect actually buffs output for ALL physical damage sources. On the Montalion and Sword-Singer, I made a potion of Fortify One-handed + Fortify Archery to effectively get +400% damage.

Poisons can be super effective too; combining Damage Health + Lingering Damage Health in the endgame to lead to net health loss of over 400 points.

These are just a few of the uses of Alchemy in the endgame; there are a lot more. Also, if you have Hearthfire, you can cultivate ingredients en masse via the Garden, Greenhouse, and Fish Hatchery. I use those on all my alchemist builds, and I find I can get dozens of my core potions every 3 days in-game. I just hotkey one or two of the most important ones, and use them basically every time I get in a fight, and I still never get close to running out of stock.