Forums » Elder Scrolls

Morality Of the Skyrim Thieves Guild

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:31 PM EST

You know, what I've been considering about the Thieves Guild is that even if you don't help them, another guild would arise that you wouldn't be able to kill unless you're in the guild. Unless we delve into fanfiction  and mods with options such as killing the Thieves Guild, then you would either join, or let them fail. Now, if they fail, then most of them either go solo, die, or join another guild of Thieves. One of the TG quests is to take out a rival guild, the Summerset Shadows. Now, if you don't join the TG, then they might  theoretically expand, and possibly take the TG's place. In addition to this, if you don't join them, then Mercer gets away with the Skeleton key and gains an insane amount of power with it. However, if you do catch him, thieves get their luck back and become more successful. I'm having a tough time deciding whether or not to do it. If you kill the DB you don't miss much if you've done it another profile, but you miss a lot from the TG.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:33 PM EST

Are you trying to justify a "good" character?

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:39 PM EST

Ya, I was trying to justify them joining in my head.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:39 PM EST

I wouldn't place any bets on the Shadows. There's nothing really suggesting they're going to expand. For a morally good character (delving into the meta game) Mercer escaping is much better than the guild being restored. That whole situation is poorly handled in my opinion. Nocturnal is either blind or some kind of weird sadist who is rewarding Mercer for stealing from her, and punishing the unaware guild /tangent

If your objective is for the character to do the most "morally right" thing, then don't join the guild. It will, as you said, probably die out. Maybe it gets replaced, maybe it doesn't, but you have to meta game real hard for that to be your character's fault.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:43 PM EST

Justifying a character is easy. It's justifying the guild that's hard. For a single character; make them impoverished, an outcast, starving like Gentleman Wolf suggested. Joining the guild becomes about survival. Staying with the guild becomes about repaying a debt. There's really no good way to look at restoring them, though.

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:47 PM EST

The problem with that is that I'm level 26 with a fully furnished house, a fully built house, a small collection of valuable gems, and 25639 gold. I'm REALLY good at making and saving money in this game, so that's only going to grow.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:58 PM EST

Well bro, in that case, there's lots of other content in the game. If you want your character to keep on the moral up-and-up, just give the guild a pass. Other than that, corrupt 'em }:D

• 44 posts
    January 14, 2015 12:37 AM EST

really pushing it..lol

• 229 posts
    January 14, 2015 1:53 PM EST

You know, considering that my character hasn't even met the Greybeards yet, I might just go with the idea of him trying to dodge his fate. The Thieves guild works in the shadows, so him joining would make sense with his goal of trying to hide without falling to the level of the Dark Brotherhood. Considering how the quest line ends, I might have my character go through the Companions, Mages Guild, and Thieves Guild until he realizes that he has to embrace the fact that he's Dragonborn.

• 1217 posts
    January 14, 2015 2:03 PM EST
    Could be a very interesting approach.