Forums » Elder Scrolls

Morality Of the Skyrim Thieves Guild

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:57 PM EST

Originally, during my first playthrough of Skyrim, I did all the guild questlines. When I started getting more into the roleplay aspect and the story of games like Skyrim, I realized that the DB didn't line up with the morality of my character at all in my head, so I started a new profile. Now I've decided not to do the Dark Brotherhood, but I started thinking the same thoughts about the Thieves Guild now that I've started it. So I was wondering, how bad do you think the Thieves guild is morally, and whether or not you think they have any redeeming qualities. I mean, I'm already really annoyed by Brynjolf in-game. I hate how he instantly assumes you're a thief even if you're not.

By the way, I'm back :P

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 2:04 PM EST
    Morally? Stealing is wrong, simple as that. Skyrim softens it by involving you in "the family", but they're still morally wrong. Your first mission is to beat the tar out of people that probably haven't done anything wrong. That should be about the only clue necessary.
    • 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 2:19 PM EST

Same, the thing is, I'm fine with stealing from jerks in-game, or from a rival side in the rebellion, but to sell those things I have to join the Thieves guild. However, I just realized that I'd forgotten about investing in a merchant and then selling them stolen stuff. Well, time to load a save :P

Still, listening to opinions though

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 2:44 PM EST

Me too. It's the kind of thing that makes 'essential' characters even more frustrating.

• 47 posts
    January 13, 2015 2:52 PM EST

Morality is a difficult subject. People in Skyrim have to navigate and survive through events put in motion by gods, daedric princes, dragons with a chip on their shoulders and the dragonborn, not to mention factions like imperials, dominion, stormcloak... Is it moral to join Thieves Guild or any other faction to protect your family to the expense of stealing, fighting and bullying some people? Or simple to get some god like protection, even that princes are not really into protecting anyone? Surviving and morality knock their heads all the time, especially on an empty stomach or with no roof over the head. So, in my opinion, thieves rate morality based on the group they belong and people are separated in good guy and the rest. Kinda like mafia. I never had much problems in my life, but sometimes I ask a question to myself - can I steal to feed my family if no other solution is available? I still don't know the answer.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:01 PM EST

Stealing to survive is different than stealing as a lifestyle, which is what the Thieves Guild does. None of them are starving, they just prefer a life of crime, just as with the Dark Brotherhood. It would have been interesting if Skyrim had used the survival approach, but instead it's just about restoring them to their former glory.

• 207 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:01 PM EST

Well, they mainly steal from rich persons so...

The thing I don't like is the beginning when you have to beat up people or terrorize them. I usually take the Statue from the b***h, beat up the guy(don't feel comfortable beating up women in skyrim) and keerava then pays the debts. I don't like the first missions cause they let you feel like some kind of enforcer while all other TG quests are more about subtility.

I like their morality cause they try do not kill people outright and have respect for each other but i dislike the mafia like beginning.

• 55 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:03 PM EST

to me, morality in a game like this is entirely subjective and dependent on the character.

What a thief considers "right" in skyrim may not be the same as we consider "right" in this world. Thats the beauty of rp.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:04 PM EST

Stealing from rich people isn't okay just because they're rich, and doesn't change the morality of it. This besides the fact that they still steal from plenty of people who can't afford it. "Trying" not to kill people is also a far cry from any kind of solid moral ground.

• 207 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:07 PM EST

Oh and I also don't like that they are Mavens Puppys

On every Character I play thats part of the DB but not of the TG, I'd like to chop her head of when she says blahblah connections to the dark brotherhood blahblah

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:08 PM EST

I don't think Seyd is talking about the player character, though. He seems to be asking about the Guild itself, which can be viewed objectively based on their circumstances, dialogue and actions.

• 207 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:09 PM EST

Yeah its not right, but if you are part of the thieves guild and steal from reach people their is no need to feel bad (because they won't starve to death and you are part of the thieves guild so naturally you steal things)

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:13 PM EST

Stupid, essential Maven.

• 44 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:27 PM EST
    Theyre thieves. Plain and simple. It doesnt matter who you are stealing from or why. Stealing is wrong both morally and legally. We as gamers will romanticize it but when it comes down to it, the guild is full of criminals and not all that different from a common group of street thugs that just so happen to ha e divine backing.
    • 47 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:29 PM EST

While the Thieves Guild is moraly bankrupt, they reject violence and killing, usually. It's something in a world where even hired thugs choose to kill instead of simply beat and rob you blind - that could be interesting from a roleplaying point.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:30 PM EST

And "divine" is pushing it.

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:33 PM EST

Ya, but you still technically spread drug trade through Tonilia, and expand a small guild of thieves into one that spans Skyrim.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:33 PM EST

That's more gameplay mechanic than anything. Unaffiliated thieves will try to rob you without killing you, and even bandits (fundamentally different from thieves) will often talk about how "they always have to fight back", suggesting that killing isn't their first choice. Then again, other bandits will complain that pickpocketing "doesn't sound like fun". If you want to look at a "heirarchy of bad", sure, the Thieves Guild isn't as immoral as some other groups.

• 207 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:53 PM EST

Yeah most of the time I do my best to screw it up

• 207 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:57 PM EST

I think the "they always have to fight back is more like"i'd rather kill them without having a fight"

I think the Unaffiliated Thieves are kind of funny. They seemingly never heard anything of sneaking. They just confront you and say "gimme ya money" and most of times die a horrible death.

• 1217 posts
    January 13, 2015 4:14 PM EST

Could be XD

• 149 posts
    January 13, 2015 7:25 PM EST

How bad do I think they are morally? I think they're very bad. 

Honestly speaking, all thieves are bad. Stealing is bad in general, however romanticized it may be.

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:17 PM EST

Yeah, I think I'm just trying to justify joining a guild that I know is immoral, even if they're not as bad as the Dark Brotherhood.

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:20 PM EST

Agreed, she probably is the most immoral character in the game in my opinion. She lets her son off with a relatively light sentence for murder, she backs a guild of thieves, she knows Astrid and hires the DB, and it's hinted that she murders employees that don't do their job well enough.

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2015 8:21 PM EST

Agreed