Forums » The Lounge

Comments vs. Likes

• 1467 posts
    December 30, 2014 9:03 AM EST
    So I've been thinking lately and it's probably difficult for some people to notice but not his site we're very focused on getting our stuff liked. Likes our, well they're a status mark obviously and the more you get the more your stuff is considered to be enjoyed.
    But we have a comments section too. The comments can obviously be anything, improvements, words of encouragement, criticising words and other stuff like that.

I'd like to know what you guys think, is a like or a comment worth more to you, do you enjoy seeing "*Blank* liked your discussion" or do you enjoy seeing "*Blank* commented on your discussion".
    • 277 posts
    December 30, 2014 9:28 AM EST

I prefer comments over likes. Through comments, people give their opinions and feedback before/after playing a Character Build. They offer constructive criticism regarding what should be improved, added or removed. Comments can help  make a discussion much better. Of course, I'm not talking about comments like "OMG! +1 for the armor combo alone! Now I am going to read the build!". Yes, they're real! I've seen plenty of these, even in my builds. Likes on the other hand are more about popularity. Then again a big number of likes is bound to give that discussion more attention. 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 30, 2014 9:42 AM EST

Comments. S'why I mostly comment and rarely give out likes.

• 1483 posts
    December 30, 2014 9:42 AM EST

I like both 

• 122 posts
    December 30, 2014 9:59 AM EST

I'd prefer people actually acknowledging my contributions to the blog. Likes and comments are both appreciated equally, especially if the latter were constructive!

• December 30, 2014 10:02 AM EST

I much prefer comments. With comments you could say that you like the disscusion, so it could basically be likes. Besides, it wouldn't be a social network if all that happened was "liking".

• 1217 posts
    December 30, 2014 10:38 AM EST

I love getting comments; something to respond to, a way to interact with someone. Since there's no particular structure to commenting, though (where builds are concerned), probably more than half the comments aren't "helpful" per se. They're generally good, but like Noodles said, it's more often "Hey, great job on this!". If every comment were, say, something positive and a piece of criticism, they would be much more valuable. That being the case, l've published my builds with the hope that people will enjoy them, and likes are simple, straightforward ways to express that, along with the ranking system. I hope that one day some of my builds will be considered Legendary. With both helpful comments and generous likes, they are more likely to get there.

• 249 posts
    December 30, 2014 11:33 AM EST
    Comments are much better and can often lead to more likes. I remember when I first came to TSB there were so many builds I'd missed. The first ones I went to were the ones with a decent amount of likes but loads of comments. That usually meant something unique was in the build or there was a lengthy and pointless rant lol.

Also comments bump builds and who doesn't love a good bump.
    • 268 posts
    December 30, 2014 3:49 PM EST
    I think both are important, if only because the CB ranking system is based on likes. :P

But in all seriousness, I reckon I prefer comments. It seems I'm one of those people who doesn't mind praise comments, which I value more than likes, but actual feedback/criticism are the best. It's really great to know that someone has given their time to read my thing and help me make it better. Comments are also great because people can tell you their experiences with your build, which is why we all do it, isn't it?

And bumps. Bumps bumps bumps. E'rybody loves bumps.
    • 277 posts
    December 30, 2014 4:12 PM EST

I wish we could like comments or other likes!

• 1467 posts
    December 30, 2014 6:14 PM EST
    Aye that would be interesting to see, liking comments would be interesting, but you'd have to wonder if that detracts from the discussion itself, people artel busy trying to get their comment liked that the build is ignored a little?
    • 1467 posts
    December 30, 2014 6:19 PM EST
    Hmm, I think its interesting that's everyone seems to enjoy comments more but we seem toget likes much more on things. Maybe if has to do with everyone who's here is a fairly active member, I'm guessing a lot of the likes are from those who drop in occasionaly.
    • 457 posts
    December 30, 2014 6:25 PM EST
    I try to comment whenever I can, and the times when there's too much going on and I just hit the 'like' button I always feel a bit guilty.

Which I suppose means that likes are nice, but comments mean more (to me at least).

It's actually been my experience that, for the most part, comments = likes (or if they don't, they provide constructive criticism that, if followed will earn you their like). Since we don't get a lot of trolls on the site, if someone is taking the time to comment they usually WANT to like your discussion. Or they may be like me... idiots who comment about how awesome the discussion is, but then forget to hit the like button (it's embarrassing how often I do that).
    • 1467 posts
    December 30, 2014 6:33 PM EST
    Don't bring up not liking builds you meant to, I'm guilty of that on so many builds, so many...
    • 627 posts
    December 30, 2014 6:33 PM EST

For me their both about equal, really as long as I what I've posted is getting noticed then it doesn't matter to me weather people like or comment on it.

• 145 posts
    December 30, 2014 9:02 PM EST

Comments are exciting to receive, but likes are quicker and easier to send. Generally, people do "like" more things because comments usually indicate that someone had something to say about the content. Sometimes I like to whip in, like a few screenshots and things, and log right back off to make screenshots and things of my own. I definitely prefer to get comments so I can get feedback, but likes are also appreciated because that means that someone actually took the time to look at the content I posted and basically tell me that they enjoyed looking at it. 

• 253 posts
    December 31, 2014 2:22 AM EST

I thought it would be fairly witty to simply like this discussion and leave no comment, but I figured it would not be very obvious, so here is the comment :P

• 1467 posts
    December 31, 2014 9:09 AM EST
    Holy Shit that would have been great to do, I'll necer forgive you for this comment now.

All jokes aside, I'm assuming you prefer likes over comments, I'd like your opinion on why because so far every son has been pro comments or in the middle, of course I could have missed the point but whatever.
    • 253 posts
    December 31, 2014 12:58 PM EST

I like getting comments on my own stuff, but I mostly just give likes myself. Mostly because I only comment if I feel I truly that my comment will add something of value, not that I don't value my own opinion, I keep it reserved because just I can comment doesn't mean I need to. I mean serious comments by that, not my comical ones. 

• 149 posts
    December 31, 2014 3:50 PM EST

This is sort of how I see it. 

The number of likes and comments can draw the eyes of people browsing the sight. They advertise, basically, by indicating popularity. In that sense, the at-a-glance numbers are for browsers.

Likes have little more value than that, though they are a sign that people do care about the content. Comments, though, are more for the content creators and those interacting with the content itself.

Speaking in terms of blog posts, I value comments because they help me know what my reader base is thinking. Even a simple "That was great!" or "That was garbage!" is more meaningful to me than a like because it tells me whether or not I'm doing well. Success, in my mind, is gauged more by how much people enjoy what I make and how much time they put into reading my work.

• 32 posts
    December 31, 2014 6:07 PM EST

Personally I prefer comments, as it lets me know what people think of the work I've done, whether it be negative or positive - its nice to have feedback. Without it, how can people improve?

• 185 posts
    December 31, 2014 10:24 PM EST
    Comments > Likes
    I like reading what people have to say about things I'm involved, and I love when they love it! A like is good, but reading their opinions through text makes me happier than just a like ;)