Forums » Elder Scrolls

Favorite Traps in Skyrim

• 490 posts
    December 6, 2014 4:41 PM EST
    Playing on Legendary difficuly has made me be .... more careful than usual. Traps are sometimes the bane of an unobservant player's existence but I also find them hilarious when used to my own advantage.

What are your favorite traps in the game of Skyrim? (Including all DLCs)

Which traps do you hate the most?

Which traps do you love using to your advantage against enemies?

I think I may have to go with the old favorite of the swinging spike wall. Luring enemies around a corner or down a corridor to get demolished is always hilarious!
    • 253 posts
    December 6, 2014 4:51 PM EST

I love the swinging axes (like the one in Bleak Falls Barrow). I have a very memorable experience with a mod that made enemy spawns like x10, and it ended up killing like 25 draugr that where bum rushing me.

• 739 posts
    December 6, 2014 4:56 PM EST

Spikey door is certainly a favourite....but...

...'gravity' gets my vote!

Nothing beats luring an enemy to the side of a steep drop and blasting them off, then merrily chasing after the tumbling meat listening to all the bones snap on the way down...blissfull kill...

• 490 posts
    December 6, 2014 4:57 PM EST
    Hahaha this picture is very satisfying. Good choice.
    • 1217 posts
    December 6, 2014 8:40 PM EST

Spike traps on my favorite. They get me the most often, but they're the most entertaining in design. There's one, I believe in Shriekwind Bastion, where one of those stone pillars raises the victim into a hole/pit in the ceiling and the spikes shoot out from the walls across the whole surface of the pillar. Pretty grim.

Swinging spike walls are the ones I'm most often able to use to my advantage, and they tend to do the most damage after a dropping lantern.

My least favorite are trap doors. They're easy to forget about, although they're also usually pretty easy to spot.

• 249 posts
    December 7, 2014 3:11 AM EST
    I think the trap that kills me the most and that I try to employ the most is the "spinning fan blades of obliteration" in Dwemer ruins. They easily deal the most damage and will hit multiple times, laying low anything with a quick 1-2. This trap surprises me everytime in the Unfathomable Depths quest and Raldbthar. They're great for gangs of enemies though.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 7, 2014 8:02 AM EST

Swinging spiked doors for sure. They also catch me by surprise, especially the Dwemer, when they're hidden really well like around a corner or from the ceiling.

• 1483 posts
    December 7, 2014 8:55 AM EST

Falling boulders. Physics allow you to kill any enemy with those. 

Swinging axes were very helpful during my no-kills run. Lured the draugr there 

Spear traps in a locked area: Poor Wyndelius

Skull ram because of TUSKS! 

• 773 posts
    December 7, 2014 9:41 AM EST

This might form the basis of a future poll 

• 8 posts
    December 8, 2014 12:44 PM EST

The orb thing in Kagrenzel! The setting and mood was perfect, really made me lose my guard before the fall soon after. 

• 457 posts
    December 8, 2014 6:47 PM EST

Ramrods and Spikey-doors... crimiNITLY! xD

Still, loads of fun watching draugr crumple like a sack of potatoes, or get flung to next Loredas ;D

• 1217 posts
    December 8, 2014 7:06 PM EST

Wow, I haven't heard criminitly since the last time I watched the Robin Hood XD. Definitely agreed on those traps, though.

• 249 posts
    December 8, 2014 7:58 PM EST
    You changed Aristocats to Robin Hood...I don't even..
    • 1217 posts
    December 8, 2014 8:05 PM EST

I thought it was the dog from Aristocats, but I checked, and it was the sheriff from Robin Hood.

edit- and it's been an equally long time since I've seen either of them.

• 249 posts
    December 9, 2014 10:43 AM EST
    Hahaha no big deal I just noticed it was different from the feed and thought it a funny edit. Also I've seen Aristocats but didn't remember the name so I figured I'd see what the heck you were talkin about.
    • 4 posts
    December 10, 2014 3:51 PM EST
    In Avanchenzel (sic) there's a particular door that triggers a spinning blade trap. That one always manages to surprise the hell out of me.

I do love sneaking up behind enemies and snapping them in the butt with their own bear traps.
    • 457 posts
    December 10, 2014 6:15 PM EST

Forgot about those spinning blades... absolutely brutal!

• 108 posts
    December 12, 2014 7:08 AM EST

Floor traps and swinging axes make my thief builds feel alive. ^_^

• December 12, 2014 5:39 PM EST

I thought this said favorite tramps... oh well *leaves thread*

• 168 posts
    December 14, 2014 7:22 AM EST

Those pedestals that have a valuable item on them and when you take the item, they trigger a trap.

• December 14, 2014 1:12 PM EST

Spinning blades of doom :] Anti-Falmer traps ftw.

The problem is, they're so effective that not even your follower can get through them.