Forums » Elder Scrolls

If you could decide racial bonuses

• 88 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:24 PM EST

Sup coyotes!

So I'm back, hello all and etc. But enough with the niceties, let's get down to it.

If you could change the racial bonuses of any/all races what would you add/remove? If we get some nice answers I'll try and mod it, coyote style. For you non pc users, this will just be a cool discussion, coyote to coyote.

This is different than the previous racial perk trees, as these would be starting bonuses, not something you have to consciously choose. 

Let's also assume npcs will receive these bonuses, so when you give bosmers invisibility and +1000% archery damage, every bosmer will have this ... which could suck pretty hard.

The racial bonuses don't need to be fair across the board, but I'd prefer lore friendly bonuses. Anything goes though.

Things to consider would be passive bonuses, this would be stuff like frost resistance or claw damage. Greater powers (daily or need to rest before use) and lesser powers (small or no cool down).

Starting spells, let's assume no starting spells. So what spell would each race start with, if any.

Skill proficiency. What skills are the races proficient in? Like redguards are currently proficient at one handed and high elves in illusion (+10 skills). So which 5 skills would have minor proficiency (+5) and which one would be the major one? (+10)? Changes might not even be necessary.

Side discussion, would changing these to xp bonuses instead of a higher skill be better? So every skill starts at 15, and high elves would have +10% experience bonus to illusion instead.

Health, stamina and magicka. Any bonuses or maybe even a malus? Right now high elves have a bonus to magicka, 50 I think. Maybe a redguard would only have 80.

Regeneration. Changes to regeneration, a nord could have 80% health and stamina regeneration, and 50% magicka regeneration. A high elf could have 150% magicka, but only 20% health etc. Maybe tie the passive into regeneration, a khajiit could receive higher stamina regeneration if at full magicka. Maybe orcs don't regenerate health in combat, but receive a starting bonus to health.

Last, and not as fun as the rest ... carry weight. Bonus/malus? Wood elves would probably be able to carry less than an orc etc.

Here is the list of vanilla stats for reference. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Races_(Skyrim)

Again, these don't have to be fair (dark elves and argonians aren't necessarily equal). Add as many skills etc as you want to each race, but I'd generally like them to be lore friendly (khajiits have claws, so they might be better at unarmed combat than bretons). Anything goes though, so knock yourself out! 

Have fun coyotes, let's get a good discussion out out this!

P.s. I know formatting sucks, I'll fix it when I can.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:30 PM EST

Am I the only one who thinks the Altmer racial bonuses are woefully overpowered compared to everyone else?

• 18 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:30 PM EST

Bosmer racial power should definitely be 50% faster bow drawing for 60 seconds once a day.

• 88 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:39 PM EST

If you're playing a mage it sure is.

• 641 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:39 PM EST

There is a mod I use that revamps the racials to this and I think it's perfect:

Altmer
    Health regen: 2/5
    Magicka and Stamina regen: 5/5

• Arcane Superiority - In combat, high levels of Health are transferred to Magicka and Stamina.
    • High Barrier - Armor rating increased at high Magicka or Stamina.
    • Wellspring - When near death, taps into your Magicka and Stamina reserves to heal you.
    • Arcane Nova - 1/day: Absorbs your enemies' Magicka and Stamina and removes their magical buffs.
    • (Unlockable) Contingency - At will: Weave one or more spells into an auto-cast trigger set to activate on specific conditions.

Argonian
    Health regen: 3/5
    Magicka and Stamina regen: 3/5

• Chameleon - Invisibilty when standing still with weapons out.
    • Histborn - Regeneration increased when your Health, Magicka or Stamina is almost depleted.
    • Marsh Dweller - Poison resistance, waterbreathing, and the ability to swim faster and regenerate in water.
    • Bile Spit - 1/day: Spit a stream of acid that blinds and weakens enemies.
    • (Unlockable) Delirium - 1/day: Secrete toxins that inflict random mind altering statuses on melee attackers.

Bosmer
    Magicka and Stamina regen: 2/5

• Cannibalize - Honour Yffre by consuming the corpses of your enemies, gaining increased regeneration.
    • Harrier - A bird marks animals to kill for bonus loot or your enemies in battle, weakening them.
    • Wild Senses - Stand still while sneaking to detect moving targets.
    • Observe - At will: Gain advanced knowledge about your target's stats.
    • (Unlockable) Beast Tongue - 1/day: Turns a nearby predator into an ally until released.
    • (NPC only) Forestwalk - Gain invisibility when in combat at full health outside major cities.

Breton
    Magicka and Stamina regen: 4/5

• Manmer Blood - Stamina regeneration tripled below half Magicka and vice versa.
    • Spell Mantle - Magic resistance, and grants spell absorb at low Magicka.
    • The Gift - Increases damage after finding standing stones and spellpower after reading books.
    • Harmonize - At will: Detect containers or silence enemies and stun spellcasters.
    • (Unlockable) Shield Dome - 1/day: Reduces damage taken through the wall of the bubble in either direction.

Dunmer

• Ancestral Guardians - Summons the spirits of the honoured dead when entering combat.
    • Ashborn - Fire resistance, and buy price bonus/penalty depending on race.
    • Whispers - The ancestors mark targets to slay, rewarding you with more spirits summoned.
    • Spirit Walk - 1/day: Move unseen and unheard out of combat. Summon more ancestral spirits in combat.
    • (Unlockable) Balefire - 1/day: Unleash the fires of Red Mountain to annihilate your enemies.

Imperial
    Health regen: 4/5

• Cosmopolitan - Cheaper bribes, and can pay other characters to improve their disposition.
    • Discipline - Armor and magic resistance increased when standing still.
    • Legionary - If you have a follower, regeneration is increased and you can swap position with your follower.
    • Intel - At will: Spy through the eyes of the nearest person.
    • (Unlockable) Colovian Star - 1/day: Fully replenishes your highest two stats.

Khajiit

• Feline Agility - Movement speed increased out of combat, and by a lesser amount in combat.
    • Prowl - Regeneration increased and movement silenced while sneaking.
    • Rawlith Khaj - Claw damage scales with level and claw power attacks have devastating effects.
    • Ravage - 1/day: Increases claw damage for a short time. Killmoves heal you and further boost damage.
    • (Unlockable) Mischief - 1/day: Nearby targets instantly leave combat.

Nord
    Magicka and Stamina regen: 2/5

• Child of the Sky - Frost resistance, and Magicka and Stamina regeneration increased at low Health.
    • Kinship - Can trade with any non-hostile Nord.
    • Kyne's Breath - Movement speed increased for a short time after entering combat.
    • Challenge - 1/day: Forces the target to attack you. Killing the target restores Health, Magicka and Stamina.
    • (Unlockable) Avatar - 1/day: Greatly increases your skill levels for a short time while in combat.

Orsimer
    Magicka and Stamina regen: 1/5

• Code of Strength - Magicka and Stamina regeneration increased at high Health.
    • Greenskin - Shock resistance, and sell price bonus/penalty depending on race.
    • Shockwave - Jump to throw and damage enemies. Once per battle.
    • Berserk - 1/day: Greatly increases damage and spellpower. Triggers randomly in combat when off cooldown.
    • (Unlockable) Blood of Malacath - 1/day: Sets target Health percentage to twice your Health percentage.

Redguard
    Magicka and Stamina regen: 5/5

• Battle Tactics - Marks enemies, weakening them and causing your attacks to absorb Magicka and Stamina.
    • Blood of the Ra Gada - Magicka and Stamina increased but do not regenerate in battle.
    • Desert Wind - Movement speed increased while sprinting.
    • Whirling Defense - 1/day: A dust devil surrounds you, stunning attackers.
    • (Unlockable) Fata Morgana - 1/day: Gain invisibility and immediately regain it when broken.

Other features
    Each race has its own unique quest associated with it. Just use your other racials until you see the quest pop up. Complete its requirements to unlock your second racial power!

NPCs use these racials too, including racial powers, with a few exceptions (for technical reasons). NPC Bosmer also get their own unique Forestwalk ability to compensate for the lack of a Bosmer combat power.

Everything is highly configurable in the MCM Resplendent menu. If you don't have SkyUI, see the Readme for a list of variables which you can modify with the console.

• 88 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:40 PM EST

Yeah that sounds really good!

• 88 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:43 PM EST

Yeah I know of it, and use it myself. I wasn't linking that because I'd like to hear everyone's thought, without being influenced. But it is a good mod, and enjoy it a lot.

• 1483 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:46 PM EST

Hey man, welcome back!  Here are two ideas:

Bosmer

Passive: same draw speed (equal to 1) for all bows (not sure if this can be modded in the game though. There may be some workarounds though), Resist Disease 50%

Power: 100% more Archery damage for 60 seconds

Skills: Archery (+10), Alchemy, Sneak, Pickpocket, Light Armor, Speech

Altmer

Passive: Resist Disease 75%, Fortify Magicka 50, Weakness to Magic 25%

Power: same

Skills: Destruction (+10), Illusion, Alteration, Restoration, Conjuration, Alchemy

• November 18, 2014 4:53 PM EST

They had to compensate for their frail little-boy bodies. 

• 17 posts
    November 18, 2014 4:57 PM EST
    Just cos all you can do is swing a butter knife and yell at people in your drunken rage.
    You don't even shout on purpose, you're so drunk the smell of your breath sends them flying/injures them.
    :D
  • November 18, 2014 4:59 PM EST

What? 

• November 18, 2014 5:00 PM EST

Nord should have a Fus Roh Da once per day. 

• 17 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:01 PM EST
    Altmer rule all. You don't even know what's under those Thalmor robes. You're jealous of the Altmer. Don't try to hide it.
  • November 18, 2014 5:05 PM EST

Frail little frames are under those robes. Altmer can't rule when they can't lift. 

• 17 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:05 PM EST
    I Think it would be nice if we had the old dark elf ancestor guardian power (as well as ancestor's wrath). Maybe they share a cooldown? So it's one or the other, once a day.
    I also think Redguards should get a +50 boost to stamina, and they should get a boost to conjuration rather than destruction (Because of the shehai)
    • 17 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:06 PM EST
    I beg to differ.
    • 641 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:07 PM EST

The Children on Gods don't need to lift, they are smart enough to let the lesser races do the lifting for them.

• 17 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:09 PM EST
    Beat that Shor.
    My senses are tingling. Do I sense another Altmer lover?
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:11 PM EST

Men are descended from the gods as well...

• November 18, 2014 5:13 PM EST

Who told you they were children of the gods? They did, I'm sure. 

• 17 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:15 PM EST
    Bethesda did...
    And so did uesp...
    And Tom...
    • 641 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:16 PM EST

Depends who you ask. Men were created by gods, not descended from them.

• November 18, 2014 5:19 PM EST

Bethesda can't even tie their own shoes without getting mixed up. What I meant was, all the sources that say they are "children of the gods"  are from the elves...

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:27 PM EST

Men and Mer were Elhnofey, who are et'Ada.

Who questions it beside Shor?

• 641 posts
    November 18, 2014 5:31 PM EST

Humans themselves?