Forums » General Gaming

Is leveling up intended at all?

• 20 posts
    November 8, 2014 4:20 AM EST

Something tell me that leveling up is never intended by the original game developers/ director.

For example,

• When leveling up most powers and shouts become greatly inferior to spells / weapons / armor. With the exception of MFD / Slow time.   Incinerate/Firebreath Grandhealing/potions/moras boon  Dremoralord/summon powers  Racialshouts/illusionspells Anyweapon/Kajitfists.
    • It is and SHOULD be impossible to reduce spellcasting costs to zero.
    • Max magic enchantments affect all spell schools equally, but multiple fortify school X is better, but affects only that school.
    • Sunlight actually hinders a vampire at lvl 1 , but not at all on high lvl because of the multiple ways to bypass it.
    • Transforming into a vampire lord or werewolf will actually make you more powerfull at lvl 1, where at higher levels it will make you weaker, specially in terms of armor rating.
    • Most items you find at lvl 1 are superior to what the player can craft themselfes, which makes sense since there are people in skyrim who dedicated thier lives to enchanting, instead of being an "all-rounder".
    • Hitting the armor cap of 567 is nearly impossible without heavy sacrifices. As it should be.
    • Some Dungeons are supposed to be challenging, and others moderate,  instead of some dungeons moderate and others super easy.
    • Illusion spells being able to affect undead/automatons.

There are probably more examples that hint to this.

Im curious to know what other people think.

• 20 posts
    November 8, 2014 6:46 AM EST

When not leveling up, getting 567 AR is very hard, as the developers of the game probably intended.

• 1483 posts
    November 8, 2014 3:28 PM EST

More like they didn't balance those skills and spells well

• 700 posts
    November 8, 2014 3:47 PM EST

Wait, so, are you defending or criticizing the leveling/perk system?  

• 20 posts
    November 9, 2014 7:37 AM EST

I am playtesting a lvl 1 character atm, im curious to see how it affects gameplay.

I will probably post a build after a while of testing, will probably be a dragon that has been cursed to live in a frail human body. "The Downcasted" or "The Cursed Dova"

I already figured out that the max enchanting bonus for alchemy/enchanting is 12%, asuming you are using shallow regent black book, ahzidal armor and falmer helmet + circlet.

which seems to be a fair % because it does not allow for the broken free magic casting, but can still be usefull for various skills.

And because skills can still increase without leveling up, it follows the tradional morrowind mechanic of learning by doing.

• 20 posts
    November 9, 2014 8:07 AM EST

dawnguard does not require any lvl, all you have to do is walk to the dawnguard fort.

But some other quests do have hard lvl requirements, but it makes sense that a Dova cast down from the heavens to live as a frail human, would not get much help from aedra daedra in the first place so from a lore point of view that wont be a problem.

• 20 posts
    November 9, 2014 1:10 PM EST

Dragon priest lairs are minimum loot lvl24 i think, some are respawning too. i got a + 25% bow enchantment once on some dwarven gauntlets.

But most dungeons have low minimum levels, so ul be fighting mostly lvl 9 max enemies, instead the dragonborn will become more powerfull as his skills raise, like armor/sneak/magicskills, combined with magic reducing gear like dragon priest masks+ robes you can still cast master level spells.

Fists will help alot because of the kajit bonus + gloves from stonefist + vampire ring.

• 179 posts
    November 9, 2014 10:09 PM EST

Level 1 characters have been done before

• 20 posts
    November 17, 2014 12:31 PM EST

Im half way in the game and its actually kinda easy, none of the enemies level up with you, so im only getting more powerfull.

They key is in the equipment you wear, you can do pretty much anything, but you will need to swap to that specific gear, which does help immersion. Vokun, necromancer amulet, secret of arcana is good combo, so is Vampirism + schrouded clothes.

The hardest part is probly getting good armor rating, since it requires all 3 enchanting+alchemy+smithing skills to be high lvl, and even then u need good base pieces and combine it with ebonyflesh+dragonaspect+lordstone