Forums » The Lounge

NaNoWriMo: Anyone doing it?

• 1217 posts
    October 16, 2014 9:43 PM EDT

Link in the Picture

Is anyone going to be participating in this year's [inter]national novel writing month? Is there anyone that has done it in the past? Care to share experiences? I thought I'd ask since we've got a lot of really talented writers here.

• October 16, 2014 9:49 PM EDT
    I really need to get good at writing. Should probably start by doing it more often...
    • 1217 posts
    October 16, 2014 9:54 PM EDT

It's a great way to pump out some writing, in any amount. Last year was my first time doing it, and I had a lower workload, but I'm hoping to get through it again.

• 1217 posts
    October 16, 2014 10:12 PM EDT

They've got pretty extensive forums that can help with ideas, planning, or even the writing itself. They also have local volunteers that set up writing sessions where you can get feedback and help. The best way to improve any craft is to practice it ;).

• 253 posts
    October 16, 2014 10:39 PM EDT

My sister did it when she was in 8th(ish) grade. She dedicated about 3 pages to some of the characters repeating "toy boat" several hundred times as tongue twisters.

• 1217 posts
    October 16, 2014 10:42 PM EDT

Heh, whatever works XD

• 249 posts
    October 16, 2014 11:11 PM EDT
    An entire novel?! Good lord! My ADD would never allow it.
    • 1217 posts
    October 16, 2014 11:17 PM EDT

Not necessarily an entire novel. Just 50,000 words. Plowing through it and turning off the inner editor is definitely tough, though. The nice part is, no matter how far you get, you end up with more words than you started.

• 249 posts
    October 16, 2014 11:20 PM EDT
    Sounds fun. I'll have to look into it all. I enjoy writing when I don't take it too seriously.
    • 249 posts
    October 16, 2014 11:26 PM EDT
    How does it all work? You just copy/pasta your entry into some box online? Are there critics? Are there cookies? That could be a game changer...
    • 1217 posts
    October 16, 2014 11:37 PM EDT

Like I said, they organize local write-ins every now and then, so cookies are totally a possibility, depending who's in charge XD Seriously, though. They've got a tracker so you can see how you're progressing (It's about 1667 words a day to hit the 50,000). Each day (or whenever you want) you copy/paste into a word counter box. It may differ a bit from the word count listed on Microsoft word, for example, so that's something to account for. There are places in the forums to post and get feed back, or coordinate a writing group. And if you reach the 50,000, they do give you a slew of discounts/small gifts. Usually that includes a free printed copy of your work :) That's literally the only reason I did it last year, and for me it was totally worth it. But I also got a nice writing program at half price.

• 249 posts
    October 17, 2014 4:27 AM EDT
    So you can enter any amount of words per day but have to have 50,000 by the end of the month. But there is a handy counter to track your progress.

How's your's going so far?
    • 1483 posts
    October 17, 2014 6:49 AM EDT

Are there fixed subjects or genres?

• 641 posts
    October 17, 2014 7:09 AM EDT

I really really want to right stuff, I always have a million ideas and stories but I can never compose it enough to sit down and actually turn it in to words. I wonder if this would help.

• 1217 posts
    October 17, 2014 11:10 AM EDT
    Nope. There's every genre, including fan fiction and screen writing. It does have to be prose, though, I think. There are also some stipulations with fan fiction and prizes, particularly the printed copy.
    • 1217 posts
    October 17, 2014 11:14 AM EDT
    Heh, so far it's not. Last year I already knew what I wanted to write. This year I don't. Last year I was a part time student, this year I'm full time. Last year I wasn't hooked on Skyrim, this year I am. We'll see what happens. Technically (the rules of the event tend to be loose and honor system bound) no one is supposed to write anything before November 1st, when it starts.
    • 1217 posts
    October 17, 2014 11:15 AM EDT
    It definitely helped me, Shaun. The community is huge, and just as helpful as folks here.
    • 1217 posts
    October 18, 2014 2:22 AM EDT

If anyone here does end up doing it, here is my profile: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/daftpirate  and you can count on my support!