Forums » Elder Scrolls

Throwing weapons

• 9 posts
    October 15, 2014 4:53 PM EDT
    Should throwing weapons be classified under archery skill tree?
    • 130 posts
    October 15, 2014 5:15 PM EDT

You can throw weapons?!

• 9 posts
    October 15, 2014 5:25 PM EDT
    Well I don't wanna say to much but I'm working on something and I want a fellow elder scrolls fan opinion on the matter.
    • 130 posts
    October 15, 2014 5:34 PM EDT

I think throwing weapons would probably be one-handed, just thinking realistically, since you're throwing them with one hand, and they can probably be used as a melee weapon too.

• 9 posts
    October 15, 2014 5:48 PM EDT
    Problem with it being classified as a one-handed is that you can't both block and throw it hence throwing weapons. So would a separate skill tree that's only for throwing weapons be better than lumping them with archery? Or does that sound like too much work?
    • 9 posts
    October 15, 2014 5:52 PM EDT
    Or you can block and throw it but it has no use as a melee weapon? You know it's either one or the other?
    • 130 posts
    October 15, 2014 5:53 PM EDT

Well, blocking doesn't really sound like a thing I'd do with something like a throwing knife...

• 9 posts
    October 15, 2014 5:59 PM EDT
    Also while wielding a throwing weapon there is no shield or sub-weapon you can use with it just like when using a bow.
    • 130 posts
    October 15, 2014 6:01 PM EDT

So? I don't see the problem with just making it one-handed and then being unable to block with it or wield anything in the other hand. It sort of makes sense because you need focus to throw something accurately. Since you can't hold anything in the other hand though, maybe you should make it two-handed instead.

• 9 posts
    October 15, 2014 6:22 PM EDT
    Maybe it should have an ability to block if it takes both hands to use. Melee attacks would be normal attacks but power attacks would allow you to throw it. That is something both archery and the other melee skill trees (one and two handed) don't offer so an independent skill tree for throwing weapons would be the perfect choice.
  • October 15, 2014 7:57 PM EDT

Well I think it depends, are you thinking something like throwing a spear that you use as a melee weapon as well or more like you have a dedicated few weapons you can throw like knives or javelins?

In the first case I think it should be one handed. The idea to make power attacks the throw is good, though I guess you would need specific throwable weapons to use unless you want to completely remove power attacks. I also don't see why you couldn't just map the throw to a different button. (I'm assuming this is about a mod for PC)

For dedicated throwing weapons I think it would be best to have it's own throwing weapon tree.

• 9 posts
    October 15, 2014 8:40 PM EDT
    Well for one it's definitely not for a mod and it has to accessible for both PC and console. That's all I can say on the subject. What I can say is that "Throwing Weapons" will consist of so far shurikens, knives, axes, and javelin. I will also state that throwing weapons will possibly have a separate tree of perks. The problem with having any throwing weapon as one-handed is the potential paradox when someone wants to use a throwing weapon and another one-handed weapon. Either they can't block while using both which would be game-breaking right now or just make throwing weapons a two-handed set which eliminates that problem all together. And yes throwable weapons won't have access to power attack because they are throwable.
    • 130 posts
    October 16, 2014 3:00 AM EDT

You seem to already know exactly what you want, so why did you ask?

• 9 posts
    October 16, 2014 3:30 AM EDT
    The original question was if throwing weapons should be part of archery. After a couple of post it became obvious it should have its own skill tree thanks to @julian edwards. The fact it should be a two-handed set weapon instead of one-handed solved several issues. It also opened up the aspects of blocking, melee attacks, and ranged attacks for throwing weapons when before 1 of 3 options weren't possible. So I think asking was quite benefical and I didn't know exactly what I want because if I did I wouldn't have posted it.