Forums » Elder Scrolls

First Characters

• 78 posts
    September 22, 2014 7:25 AM EDT

So, who were your first characters? Was your first ever character a perfect build or just as random as it can get? What race was your first character? What perks and what skills did he choose? Was he "evil" or "good"? Did he worship anything? Weapons and armor? Did you actually roleplay him or you he was just a rombot destined to complete freaking everything in the game?

My first character was an Aragorn-like Nord. He started out as a sword and board character, but then he got the Whiterun's Axe by Balgruuf and absolutely loved it. He was using it for some solid 15 levels, until he came up the Lunar Steel Sword. He didn't even know how to charge it after the magic ran out, so for about 10 levels he was using a crappy steel sword against every kind of bullshit you come up in Skyrim, just because he liked its name. Then he got the Mace of Molag Bal, but he didn't like its dark attitude so he stayed with the Lunar Sword until he got Dawnbreaker. Some time later he got his hands on two Ebony Swords and dual wielded them, adding Absorb Health and Absorb Stamina enchantments on them and naming them "Blackblades". At last, his passed his final days with his favourite Glass Greatsword, "Oblivion". For his armor, he was using the classic Steel Armor for half his life and then switched to Glass Armor by the time he got the Smithing perk. Yeah, he was pretty fucked up with his equipment choices. It took him 7 levels to realise that he could level up in the menu. He had the first perk in the Destruction tree, although he never used magic. He was a master of both Two Handed and One handed, an adept with bows and shields, an expert in Smithing, a master of sneaking, and crappy at Alchemy and Enchanting. He completed the Thieves Guild questline, the Stormcloaks (), the College of Winterhold, the Bards College, the Companions and he destroyed the Dark Brotherhood. Nowdays I like to stay with a single Guild.

At my second playthrough I was starting to know the game, so I made this assassin class. A black Khajiit sniper badass wandering around in Dark Brotherhood armor. 

My third character was the most iconic character I've ever created. He was a total badass Nord wearing banded iron and swinging an Iron Warhammer in every milkdrinkers face. He was my first Dragonborn who completed the Main Quest, he joined the Stormcloaks (#2), the Companions and settled down in Windhelm. Man, this guy is like the father to all my other nord characters. He is a legend. He is the original Garthar, the orignal one I took my name and the name of my book's main character from. 

Well, that was long. So, tell me, who were your first characters?

This will be fun.

• 44 posts
    September 22, 2014 10:22 AM EDT
    Argonian assassin, no crafting, he sucked... Lol
    • 1217 posts
    September 22, 2014 12:19 PM EDT

My first character was an Argonian you could probably describe as a rombot. He started off with one handed, archery and some destruction, and did a fair bit of smithing. He eventually took on enchanting too, and switched often between light and heavy armor. He did a lot of dual wielding; he's never used a shield. He's also gone after just about every major quest line. I wrote about what's become of him here. He's just waiting for me to finish my current lineup of properly restricted and RP'd playthroughs.

• September 22, 2014 2:18 PM EDT

My first character was Grimm, a badass dark elf who is an excellent swordsman. He uses a big greatsword weapon so that he can ''Lop people's heads off more easily.'' He's my main character who uses heavy armor.

• 33 posts
    September 22, 2014 2:34 PM EDT
    My first one was a khajiit assassin wannabe, I spent the first 6-8 levels sneaking around Whiterun stealing anything movable. I sucked at sneaking when I actually tried to kill someone, almost all bandit fort visits ended up with either me running away, or after the first failed sneak attack attempt I just rushed in and slashed everyone into pieces. At around lvl12 I got a better grip on the game, restarted and successfully pulled off the whole assassin thing :D
    • 585 posts
    September 22, 2014 2:57 PM EDT
    My first character was, as I'm sure most other peoples was to, a sneaky stealth archer (I blame Seth). I joined the DB fairly early, but because I didn't understand that heavy armour could get you detected, I failed almost all assassinations and racked up quite a bounty.
    After killing Vittoria Vicci, I couldn't fast travel because the guards were still following me. After a few hours of getting severely posses off that I couldn't get anywhere (I thought Skyrim was a lot bigger than it actually is) I decided to hand myself in. I dumped all my valuables in the DB sanctuary, and headed out for Solitude. I made it all the way to the marshes outside Morthal, where multiple Frostbite Spiders,decided to bully me. As I was going pure stealth, I dumped all my points into stamina, so I was pretty much helpless. But as I was new and nieve, I charged, armed with only an iron dagger. When I died instantly, I decided I had to start again.
    • 38 posts
    September 22, 2014 4:34 PM EDT

i was a sneaky bosmer archer, who didnt know until about level 30 that wearing heavy armor and sneak suck, but it was to late into the game and i decided to roll with it, he was a 'good' character, i joined the bards guild, mages guild, and fighters guild, i also used destruction, usually fire and a axe but i sometimes switched to sword when it did more damage than the axe, i later got into alchemy, and i found out about mods, downloaded a few. oh and did i say he hoarded EVERYTHING? i usually kept something like every weapon i could find etc cause i was like, i should keep these incase i want to dual weild someday, i want to keep these robes cause i might become a mage someday and i had like everything you could think of, but now i switched to a new computer, i dont want to reload the save cause i had a bunch of mods that if i load the save without it, could lose most of my stuff :(

• 1483 posts
    September 22, 2014 5:46 PM EDT

Race: Bosmer

Sex: Male

Standing Stone: Thief (never bothered to change )

Skills: Archery, Light Armor, Alchemy, Sneak, Lockpicking, Alteration, Restoration, Smithing, Illusion 

Did all the guild questlines, all Daedric quests, about 90% of regular side quests and a bunch of miscellaneous quests that no one bothers to count 

Lived in Honeyside, retired when Illusion made the game not fun, smithed Dragonscale Armor and improved it to Legendary, noticed that Bosmer are short (yes, I only noticed that in the end of my playthrough) 

• 75 posts
    September 22, 2014 6:44 PM EDT

Mine was a Khajiit, bad choice considering I used heavy armour, one-handed, destruction and smithing as opposed to the thieving skills. Obviously I still upped my lockpicking etc. but I never did any sneaking/archery. Never actually used enchanting or alchemy either because it seemed like too much work, and fireball + sword combos did the work for me. I used the Warrior stone until I found the Lord, and ended up crafting Daedric Armour at ~lvl 30 using the old iron dagger glitch.

• September 22, 2014 7:11 PM EDT

My first character was a kahjit that used haevy armor,archery and two-handed.along with sneak,enchanting and speech.

• 93 posts
    September 22, 2014 7:42 PM EDT

I believe he was an Imperial named Montparnasse. A thief, if I remember. I saw the Khajiit though and quickly switched over to a sneaky black Khajiit named Shadow Claws. So lame. So very very lame.

• 133 posts
    September 22, 2014 10:04 PM EDT
    A Jack-of-all-trades Nord who did absolutely everything. Ah the good old pre-RP days.
    • 490 posts
    September 22, 2014 10:55 PM EDT

Coming into any ES game I have a tradition of trying a war hammer Orc in some fashion, but it usually lasts for a short time.

I think my first true character that got into the higher levels was a Redguard spellsword. Pretty much went through all the questlines. 

• 149 posts
    September 22, 2014 11:58 PM EDT

My first was a black scaled Argonian named Milos. He was a stealthy character (with archery, duel wielding, and the like) but he wasn't an assassin or anything. I didn't give him much backstory beyond that he was a hunter.

Still a very fun playthrough, though (considering he was the first, after all). I beat the main quest with him for the first time and his tale came to a satisfying end. 

• 131 posts
    September 23, 2014 1:32 AM EDT

Skyler, noble female Nord warrior/paladin of the Stormcloak rebellion. The first character I made had no backstory originally, then I started making it silly/ridiculous in more than one way. Finally I've settled on a very nice (imo) simple-ish backstory for a deep and dark character. I started her out using heavy armor and a two-handed sword for the "darker bits" as I wrote later on. Finally I settled for a sword-n-board paladin archetype whos redemption story was long and still not entirely redeeming.

I may have to get around to typing it up sometime and getting it posted now that I think of it.

• 13 posts
    September 23, 2014 8:22 AM EDT

My first character was a typical Nord warrior. I could never decide whether I should go with heavy armor or light armor, two-handed axe, dual wielding axes or axe and shield so it became some sort of combination of them all in different situations. I played through the Main story, the Companions and Stormcloaks whith him.

When the dragonborn dlc came out I started to play him again and changed his perks.

• 133 posts
    September 23, 2014 4:46 PM EDT
    Nord warrior/archer called aringrath of the mountains. I was through him I learned many things till I made my perfect character: Edward of valenwood. Bosmer close quarters archer, light armour. Proud stormcloak. But just before him I had an altmer blade badass. But he was with the legion. My bosmeri stormcloak archer is the ultimate badass of all badassery. Ain't nobody he can't take down, but the unique roleplay and play style keep every fight intresting.
    • 127 posts
    September 23, 2014 5:01 PM EDT

Idhea Desele, an old, one-eyed, balding Breton who was created as an aspiring vigilant, but became twisted after meeting Clavicus Vile and becoming rejuvenated.  Wielding a bound bow, decked out in Nordic Carved Armor with the Masque and later turning in to a vampire, he became a Nordic hero for the Stormcloaks droving out the Empire, defeated an ancient dragon and ended the Dark Brotherhood, meanwhile also finding a fondness for the taste of flesh and burning corpses with his breath.

He is easily to most fun, most role-play heavy and longest-running save I've ever had.

• 78 posts
    September 24, 2014 6:40 AM EDT

Hmm... seems like there are more Stormcloaks than I thought around here... Hail!

• September 25, 2014 4:05 PM EDT

TECHNICALLY my first character was a heavily-armoured two-handed Nord assassin merchant who wasn't the dragonborn and was typically afraid to go into caves. It should be pretty obvious why I don't even count him amongst my "Hall of Champions" as a real character.

My first REAL character was a blind Dunmer who saw the world through magic. He began as a thief, though he eventually made a transition to a nightblade after contracting Vampirism and regaining his sight. He joined the Volkihar clan, but he wouldn't allow Harkon to block out the sun, fearing the end of the world may follow it. After a great deal of time spent as a vampire lord, he proposed to Serana, and when his affections were rejected, he absconded from the court, and returned to the Thieves Guild. Ultimately, he'd follow through with his original intention of restoring it to its former glory, but he felt something was missing in his life. He used his great fortune and his skill as an enchanter and a blacksmith(And a marksman and a rogue) to turn himself into an extremely competent assassin and joined the dark brotherhood, where he saw much success and became even more ludicrously wealthy. cured himself of Vampirism, and joined the Companions, seeking adventure after his midlife crisis. He rose to the rank of Harvenger rather quickly, but he suddenly lusted for more. To make a long story short, he then went on to kill Alduin, completely master every shout, kill more dragons than there are shouts in the game, and restore the Blades to their former glory before retiring in a private manor in the wilderness with his wife and adopted children. Some nights however, strange howls can be heard in the swamps surrounding his home, and travellers frequently go missing.

I may have embellished the details and the order of events a little, but you get the gist.

TL;DR: I made a Dunmer and basically conquered the entire game on a single character. I like to think of him as the embodiment of the moldbreaker character that we always saw advertised. The only thing I never did with him, oddly enough, was Dragonborn, and most of the Daedric quests.

My first character from the Blog was a Revakriid, though I couldn't tell you where that build is now. That's probably the character I remember most. I essentially made him "Talos' Jesus". A prophet through whom the god lived on!  I like to think that after the events of Skyrim, he went on to singlehandedly overthrow the Empire, creating a new dynasty and crowning himself the new emperor. The Emperors have historically been Dragonborns afterall, and the Revakriid is basically the super dragonborn. 

And one final anecdote; ALL my characters to this day, sans the Nord who Never Was, have been Stormcloaks. Hail High King Ulfric! ....Though I think I might swallow my pride and stick with the milkdrinkers for one playthrough, just to see if they get any more bearable.

• 30 posts
    September 26, 2014 2:44 AM EDT
    My very first character was an altmer that didn't make it past level 10. My first actual heavily played character was a nord warrior who used heavy armor and a greatsword. Later he started using sword and shield and archery. I originally intended him to join the Stormcloaks, but after witnessing Ulfric's attitude during the peace conference, I abstained from joining them. He was the first character I completed the main questline with.