Forums » Elder Scrolls

are there many cases of the inhabitants of tamriel following bot

• 12 posts
    September 20, 2014 6:08 PM EDT

...Say following Mara and Meridia...  would this be odd?

thanks for any help

Azuk

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 20, 2014 6:15 PM EDT

Not many open cases. Daedra worship has always been taboo outside of Morrowind, and even in Morrowind there were only certain Daedra you're allowed to worship. After the Oblivion Crisis I don't imagine the relative lax attitude of the Third Empire towards daedric worship would continue.

• 75 posts
    September 20, 2014 9:43 PM EDT

They never worshipped Daedra in just Morrowind. The Orcs worship Malacath, and the Khajiit worship Azurah (Azura) as a god instead of a daedra, as well as Sheggorath (Sheogorath) among their own unique gods like Baan Dar or Jode. 

In response to the question, I agree with Eldamar. There are no open cases of Divine and Daedra worshippers, although there must be a few people who do.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 21, 2014 12:20 AM EDT

I said it wasn't taboo in Morrowind. Orcs have always been forced to the outskirts of society with a great deal of the reason being their worship of Malacath.

Khajiit are... Freakin' Khajiit. Everything illegal throughout the rest of the Empire is allowed there.

• 12 posts
    September 21, 2014 10:55 AM EDT

ahh I see - yeh I know its taboo generally but I wonder if theres any real reason? (particularly for the worship of the good daedra - and by that I mean actually good not boethia and mephala more like meridian maybe azura whens shes feeling alright haha)   

I mean is there any real reason why one cant praise say the eight divines but also like meridia I wonder?   im a big fan of meridia in general

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 21, 2014 2:42 PM EDT

Daedra (and arguably Aedra) work on a completely different mindframe from mortals. Their motivations, morality, and ideals are completely alien and altogether unknowable, for the most part, by mortals and as a result are labeled evil since they don't normally line up with any mortal sense of good.

You also have daedra responsible for massive destruction, rebellions, murders, plagues, madness, vampires, werebeasts, and all manner of foul monstrosities that wreak havoc upon the mortal realm. It's far, far easier to simply ban all Daedra.

Meridia was worshipped by the Aeylieds as well, and they're probably one of the biggest reasons men hate Daedra.

• 12 posts
    September 21, 2014 2:53 PM EDT

yeh kewl I know - cos they kept men as slaves didn't they - I see what your saying but I don't see philosophically much difference in why one wouldn't worship a bit of both if they were so inclined its more just historical reasons and biases isn't it ? I think its kewl that's theres a divide in a way too though

• 1595 posts
    September 21, 2014 4:54 PM EDT

“Good” is an ill-suited descriptor for any Daedric being, and it is unfortunate it has come into casual use. As absolute expressions of their respective spheres, the Daedric Princes do not share our moral categorizations for behavior. The Daedra simply are ~ Divayth Fyr

Dark Elves revere Lorkhan, Nords, Altmer and more acknowledge and respect certain demons even if they don't condone their worship. Yokudans didn't seem to have a classification or name for these demons at all and may or may not have them in their massive pantheon.

• 12 posts
    September 22, 2014 1:35 PM EDT

yeh its kewl I find it an interesting topic - daedra are amoral neither good nor bad its like Nietzsche (real world philosophy) and beyond good and evil - I don't see the world in black and white good/ evil either after my philosophy degree hahaa

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 22, 2014 3:37 PM EDT

Mostly. There's nothing stopping someone from worshipping a Daedric Prince besides cultural taboo and probable death.

Daedra are demonized by the temples and churches that worship the divines.