Forums » Elder Scrolls

Would You Join Miraak?

• 47 posts
    September 17, 2014 9:32 PM EDT

During The Dragonborn DLC you fight against Miraak the first Dragonborn. I always thought it was odd that I could not help him escape and defy that giant tentacle monster. Soo... If given the chance would you help Miraak or would you still kill him? Truth be told I would help him escape. I mean... He knows tons of things about being Dragonborn that the Greybeards could never teach me so why cant I learn from him??

• 1217 posts
    September 17, 2014 9:44 PM EDT

As with all the other choices in the game, I'd have a character for each! Defying Mora would be awesome, I have to admit.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 17, 2014 10:11 PM EDT

I really never felt much of an urge to kill him in the first place. "He's brainwashing some Dark Elves, eh? Who gives a horker's mustache?" I never felt threatened by him, he doesn't seem all that dangerous outside of Solstheim. I understand the quest might say he's a bad guy who dun need killed, but give me a more compelling reason than "hur he's gun tak over dah world... eventually, maybe, if everyone fell into a coma. HE'S DRAGONBORN LIKE YOU HUR, DAEDRIC PRINCE, FATE, STUFF, SHOUTS, 3... 2... 1... FIGHT!"

I'd rather do more quests for Neloth.

• 167 posts
    September 17, 2014 10:24 PM EDT

Join me...

• 1595 posts
    September 18, 2014 3:38 AM EDT

I must admit I like Miraak. My first foray into character building was based on the concept of mantling him. After all is said and done you effectively become him anyway.

As for a reason why he's a threat to the whole of Tamriel, I like to think of the deeper meaning behind his chant:

And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be.

I admit it's quite esoteric but unmaking the world seems to be the central theme of Skyrim. The first mention of falling Towers, the (unconfirmed) Thalmor plot to remove Talos and the World-Eating Alduin returning all connect and provide a reason why Lorkhan cares enough to fix it.

• 87 posts
    September 18, 2014 11:30 AM EDT

XD

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 18, 2014 11:39 AM EDT

I would've liked a better display of his power then. It just felt so contained on Solstheim and even then like a severe annoyance than a grave threat. Hijacking people's bodies while they slept and draining the power from magical stones don't scream "threat to existence" like Alduin (though he never felt very threatening to me either until Sovngarde).

Neloth could probably have defeated Miraak when he became a nuisance, if he bothered at all. If chunks of Solstheim started fading away into Apocrypha or Seekers and Lurkers started fading into Tamriel en-masse, I think it would've made for a more compelling reason.

• 32 posts
    September 18, 2014 1:07 PM EDT

Yes, Yes, Yes. I was very saddened by the fact that I wasn't able to join sides with him. Personally, I like Miraak. Sure, he wants to enslave man and what not, but he has his positives too..Good taste in robes for example. 

• September 18, 2014 3:13 PM EDT

No, I serve the Great and Powerful Mora, I will never betray him. 

• 47 posts
    September 18, 2014 3:15 PM EDT

I Knew you would comment here LOL

• 47 posts
    September 18, 2014 3:48 PM EDT

hmm... so I was searching the Nexus for quest mods and I found a VERY awesome looking mod. Its a mod that adds a alternate ending to the Dragonborn Questline. By using "Bend Will" you can make Miraak join you and have him become your follower. The guy who made the mod edited his voice files so he that he would talk with you when he was your follower. Here is the nexus page: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43529/

Here is a youtube video featuring him as a follower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB1ZDywOtxI

• September 18, 2014 3:58 PM EDT

I don't get why there's a confrontation to begin with in that quest. Why does Miraak want to kill the dragonborn? They have the same common enemy.

• 1595 posts
    September 18, 2014 4:20 PM EDT

He needs the power of your soul to escape Apocrypha completely iirc.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 18, 2014 6:09 PM EDT

I don't remember that. I thought he knew a Dragonborn was the only thing that could stop him?

• 1217 posts
    September 18, 2014 6:19 PM EDT

Here's his line:

"And so the First Dragonborn meets the Last Dragonborn at the summit of Apocrypha. No doubt just as Hermaeus Mora intended. He is a fickle master, you know. But now I will be free of him. My time in Apocrypha is over. You are here in your full power, and thus subject to my full power. You will die. And with the power of your soul, I will return to Solstheim and be master of my own fate once again."

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 18, 2014 6:37 PM EDT

Hrmm... So he needs more souls to unlock that shout.

• 1217 posts
    September 18, 2014 6:55 PM EDT

Indeed XD

• 75 posts
    September 18, 2014 9:23 PM EDT

Unlimited power!!!

• 75 posts
    September 18, 2014 9:24 PM EDT

To learn the shout: TP Home.

• 1467 posts
    February 21, 2015 6:46 AM EST

Well joining Miraak huh, that is an interesting idea isn't it. Well I would totally join the side of an evil conqueror if given the chance but mainly that would be the first option to truly make it seem like you were responsible for the fate of Skyrim, yeah the Civil War you might say, well it isn't really the same thing. Imperials win or Stormcloaks win, either way the Thalmor have weakened Skyrim. In joining Miraak we could truly take over land, perhaps conquer all of Skyrim and then who knows, maybe we could become High King ourselves, choose Jarls, Change borders within, who knows the intricacies of what could be done with the ability to conquer Skyrim.

Perhaps this would be slightly difficult to do in the game but I can dream.

• 6 posts
    February 21, 2015 1:03 PM EST

• 1913 posts
    February 21, 2015 1:33 PM EST

It's rumored that there was supposed to be two endings to dragonborn. One where you side with herma mora and kill niraak and become him essentially..., and another where you talked him down, you both fought herma mora and escapes making him a potential follower and spouse.... how that would have worked with hunting dragons I don't know....

• February 21, 2015 4:59 PM EST
    I as with you right up until "spouse"; there's just no way I can believe THAT was ever a plan.
    • 1595 posts
    February 22, 2015 6:07 AM EST

Very disturbing.

• 1913 posts
    February 22, 2015 6:33 AM EST

I'm sure that was a joke... I hope...