Forums » General Gaming

Gaming Computer Help

• 4 posts
    September 16, 2014 8:04 PM EDT

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Microsoft-Operating-Featuring/dp/B00MOTF028/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410907716&sr=1-5&keywords=gaming+computer+windows

Would that computer be able to run skyrim at decent settings with some mods? I'm on a $400 budget and can't build my own right now. (Medical Issues and such). If this computer wouldn't work, does anyone know of a pre-built one for around $400 that could? 

Thanks in advance!

• 133 posts
    September 16, 2014 9:12 PM EDT

You should be able to play it on that. If you can get a bit more cash Windows 7 64-bit would work a bit better than 32. You could also get this one for a bit more or keep your old one and get a plain two or three gig RAM card and add that to it. Three gigs of RAM just won't cut it for some games including Skyrim with certain mods. Best of luck Doc!

• 149 posts
    September 16, 2014 9:34 PM EDT

Could it play Skyrim? Possibly. 

Could it play Skyrim well? Ehhhh.... No. Not in a million years.

A duel core processor right off the bat is going to give you sub-par performance. Skyrim is a very CPU intensive game. A quad-core would be better (for perspective, I use an 8-core processor).

But that's not the worst of it.

The graphics card on this thing will get you nowhereIt's a dinosaur. We're talking 2 fps (frames per second) on games from 2006. That's unplayable. 

DON'T BUY THIS FOR GAMES. I cannot stress that enough.

As for better deals, I shall look for some. Keep your own eyes open, too. Remember that building a PC yourself is always the most cost effective method.

• 4 posts
    September 16, 2014 9:36 PM EDT

Thank you! I plan on keeping to my original choice and get a RAM card as you suggested. Is there any other things that you think I would need? Or is that all? 

• 149 posts
    September 16, 2014 9:40 PM EDT

No! You mustn't do that! DON'T BUY THAT PC!

It's not built for the kind of gaming you want to do. It can barely run games two generations old! You'll want to invest in something better overall.

• 133 posts
    September 16, 2014 9:44 PM EDT
    Now that I think about it... Yeah you're right Okan. @The Docter, remember that depending on where you live there are shops that could build a computer for you. I'll look for some parts and get back to you soon.
    • 4 posts
    September 16, 2014 10:31 PM EDT

Okay, thanks guys! Glad I didn't buy that one! Haha. 

• 4 posts
    September 16, 2014 10:53 PM EDT
    • 133 posts
    September 17, 2014 8:44 PM EDT
    Well... I attempted to make a cheap build for you and It ended up around $800 w/o the OS, so that toshiba looks great.