Forums » The Lounge

Having trouble getting in to Skyrim... What do you enjoy the mos

• July 29, 2014 9:01 AM EDT

Hey guys. 

As the title suggests, I'm having a hard time getting invested in to Skyrim. I've played the game many times, with many different characters. All of which have extensive backgrounds and relations to ES lore in general. My highest character was almost level 60 I believe, an Illusionist.
    Still, despite these many play through's I don't feel like I've been able to -enjoy- Skyrim as much as I had it's predecessor; Oblivion. So I'd like to hear some of your favorite things to do/about Skyrim and maybe rekindle my sense of adventure towards this great RPG. 

I'm on Xbox (don't stone me) so please keep your answers limited to the vanilla version of Skyrim. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1483 posts
    July 29, 2014 9:55 AM EDT

Try to create something unique which will be enjoyable to you. Roleplay can only take you so far, you must also enjoy the playstyle. Think about what skills you enjoy and why you enjoy them. Once you figure out what exactly is your favorite aspect of combat and the game in general you will be able to custom-fit skills to suit that playstyle. After that, add another layer of RP and you're all set  Also, try new challenges for yourself. DiD, no perks, no direct kills - all these drastically change the way the game is played. 

The best thing about Skyrim is the amount of exploration you can do. You will always find new things, regardless of how much you've played the game. Try new things, perhaps create an underlying story arc for in-game events and document it as a journal.

That said, I'm probably not the best person to ask advice on this matter given that I completely removed Skyrim from my PC recently and that I didn't get into Oblivion 

• 1483 posts
    July 29, 2014 10:17 AM EDT

I know, I'm pushing it 

• July 29, 2014 10:48 AM EDT

For me, Skyrim is just all about freedom. Freedom to do as you want, to form your character as you want, to do the quests you want. That freedom I've never had in other games, though I only started playing Oblivion after Skyrim :)

• July 29, 2014 11:36 AM EDT

I've noticed that Ben C, Vazgen and Jules De Brabander have all said relatively the same thing. I will take the advice and build my next character around the idea of an explorer and not so much an adventurer/hero. I never did much exploring as I figured the majority of things to see were along quest paths. 
    Exploration gameplay also opens a door to more personal character development, and perhaps even I could create quests for my self. 

Already I am looking at the game through a different scope, I'd like to have more opinions though.

• 100 posts
    July 29, 2014 11:52 AM EDT
    I like playing weak characters with motivations for travel and an inability to defend themselves competently. Couriers, cowardly thieves, scavengers and such. Observing Skyrim from the shadows before moving on with none of the usual interuptions or fights. Run from trouble. Exploring Skyrim like that is still fun for me, even when combat and questing isnt doing it for me