Forums » The Lounge

So, I've got a few game ideas, and I need feedback

• 1441 posts
    July 25, 2014 6:28 PM EDT
    So, I am an amateur game designer. I've done two small games for my programming classes. I've had a few ideas for games, and I want you guys' feedback.

The first is an open world action-RPG set in medieval England, specifically, pre Third Crusade, and post Crusade, the first few main missions, you'll play as the main character's father, a knight and half brother to King Richard the Lionheart, then the rest of the game will follow the son. It will be an AU Earth, but no firearms, well, non Medieval ones anyway, and no aliens. I will try to make combat as realistic as possible to the time period. You will have to realiticly eat, sleep, drink. Etc.

The second is post apocalyptic. Basically, after a solar flare knocked out all electronics, combined with worldwide rapid climate change, you play as the son/daughter of two survivors, and find yourself in the ruins of the town of your birth, seventeen years after the disaster, known as The Collapse occurred. There are a few raiders in the city, but the main thing you have to worry about are the animals that are roaming the city, some have gross mutations from lag experiments. Your main weapon is a bow and arrow, or maybe a crossbow, and a short sword your character found a year ago while scavenging a collector's house. You too will have to sleep and eat realistically,

The next is an open world FPS style game with some RPG elements, so like Fallout. It's set in the year 2044, and Earth is well aware of the existence of vampires and all that jazz. A group of supernatural and regular people formed, making two groups, the Order of the Sacred Night, and The Night's Watch, this one being ordered by the government. Your character is a new recruit, and you can choose to be, among a few things, human, vampire, halfbreed, werewolf, etc. Your character's main job is to hunt down rouge supernaturals.

So, what do you guys think?
    • 8 posts
    July 25, 2014 6:36 PM EDT

I really like all your ideas to be honest with you! My favourite is the medieval England one. And the last one i like a lot too, but that's just cause i like those types of games :)

It's really cool that you've been making games at all though!! I'm an aspiring game designer/programmer myself! What are you using to make these games by the way?

• 185 posts
    July 25, 2014 7:05 PM EDT
    A game I would like to see is one entirely focused on magic, set on modern world, in which you would need to search for those long lost secrets of magic while being hunted by a secret branch of the church and demons/angels themselves (but at late-levels only) you would need to eat and etc, but you also need to keep your researches and magic skills hidden from the public.
    There would be multiple ways to play, as a thug who grab people wandering the streets and don't give a damn about police, as a politician who controls the govern, and even as a member of the church, for example
    The character can use his skills as he seens fit, be it to destroy the church and whatever is good or to protect the humanity from things that can't be defeated without delving into magic.
    The skills of magic would be based around reanimation and banishment, Possession and exorcism, blood and life energy, light and darkness, body and mind (duality, so the player can use magic to good, evil, or neither... He can use dark magics to save people, white magic to destroy life etc)
    it's very bare bones, but it's a start :P
    • 1441 posts
    July 25, 2014 7:07 PM EDT
    That's actually quite neat. And, will this be a pseudo Christian church, or will this be like Hellsing and the Vatican and Protestant England are sending agents to hunt you down?
    • 185 posts
    July 25, 2014 7:23 PM EDT
    I thought about using the Vatican, but a new religion would probably be better.
    • 1441 posts
    July 25, 2014 7:28 PM EDT
    Hmm, so, make a phony religion seems like the best best, cause, we really don't wanna offend anyone. Hmm, maybe a Church of The Maker? Kind of like the Chantry from Dragon Age, basically they worship a being that's pretty much the All-Maker.
    • 185 posts
    July 25, 2014 7:34 PM EDT
    I thought about multiple gods, and each one with powers from our magic schools (Ex: The God of death can reanimate and banish, the god of men has control over mind and body) and the church will hunt us because they think that only gods can control magic, that men is not worthy of such a power
    • 185 posts
    July 25, 2014 7:56 PM EDT
    P.S - I'm also thinking about following a Game Design Carrer :D
    • 1441 posts
    July 25, 2014 8:19 PM EDT
    Oh that is pretty sweet. What should we name this religion, and it would be kinda kickass if our character actually faced these gods. I mean, come on, your characater, a mortal, taking down godlike entities. Or, we could have it where the gods are actually demons in disguise.
    • 185 posts
    July 25, 2014 9:46 PM EDT
    I'm thinking about something: Maybe the PC can completely wipe one god, and then either leave things like that or taking over his place (Ex- If someone destroyed the god of death, no one would die and those who already died and are on the other side are
    (A) Wiped from existence
    (B) Brought back to life
    If you toke his place, things would come back to normal and you would gain absolute power on the school of death
    • 1441 posts
    July 25, 2014 9:49 PM EDT
    Dude, that would become badass
    • 708 posts
    July 25, 2014 10:02 PM EDT

Your first idea sounds a lot like Kingdom Come http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

• 209 posts
    July 25, 2014 10:35 PM EDT

I was thinking that too Ponty !

• 1441 posts
    July 25, 2014 11:01 PM EDT
    Well, I was inspired by it, and Mount and Blade.
  • July 26, 2014 1:15 AM EDT

Id go with the second one.i m writing a book on a power outage in tokyo.second one indeed.id love to help or be apart of it because those are my favorite kinda plots ever.

• 1441 posts
    July 26, 2014 9:21 AM EDT
    Well, there will be little to no QTE's, your chracter will have realistic needs, or else they will eventually keel over. Hmm, I'm still thinking. What would you consider cliche? Oh, and headshots will be instant kills, unless they are wearing a helmet, same for your character.
    • 1441 posts
    July 26, 2014 9:39 AM EDT
    Ah, don't worry, they'll improve, so, if you use a blade on an enemy or a training dummy, you'll gain skill, of you improve your armor and weapons, etc,

Also, I've been thinking of whether or not to include a health bar. On one hand, it's useful for telling you just how much your health is remaining, cause a red screen only goes so far, while on the other, it could be immersion breaking. Hmm, I'll add an option to enable health bars and stamina bars.
    • 1441 posts
    July 26, 2014 10:05 AM EDT
    Fair enough, I've been thinking of doing that, but maybe on everything below normal, it you'll have a health bar, normal and above, nope, hmm, I like your suggestions Over.