Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why would a character be so utterly devoted to being good/heroic

• July 24, 2014 8:43 AM EDT

I'm going to give Mason's hilarious 'Hold Guard' build a spin but I have a roleplaying issue- why would someone be SO committed to serving others and putting themselves second?

Not only do I intend to become thane of each hold but also try to complete most of the decent local quests too. However, I have a hard time imagining why someone would lead such a selfless life in reality (maybe it's because I'm not that sort of person in reality ha) so has anyone got any suggestions? Character ideas, races, builds and backgrounds would be much appreciated, thanks! :)

• 167 posts
    July 24, 2014 8:49 AM EDT

It's a nice break from the real world. It's the same concept with the pure evil characters, games like Skyrim and other RPG's are designed to immerse you, and give you an experience you never could have in the real world.

• 1483 posts
    July 24, 2014 8:57 AM EDT

Well, you do get rewards for the quests. Becoming a thane is just a bonus. I can see mercenaries living that life quite easily

• July 24, 2014 9:01 AM EDT
    Because the gods are watching.
    • 133 posts
    July 24, 2014 9:10 AM EDT
    I'm pure evil, drivn by personal gain and lust for a challenge. I become thane because there are many benefits someone like me could make use of.
  • July 24, 2014 9:51 AM EDT

Thanks for the suggestions, but I want my character to be a complete goodie two shoes- I don't want any evil ulterior motives, just pure heroism. I'll probably just go with something like 'make my families proud' crap, but at least it fits with my characters actions :)

• 1483 posts
    July 24, 2014 9:59 AM EDT

What is your character's race?

• 2 posts
    July 24, 2014 10:02 AM EDT
    Possibly austrian
    • 856 posts
    July 24, 2014 10:28 AM EDT

If you ever seen any interviews about people that help others then you may have your answer. They universally say some variant of "It makes me happy." Seeing other people happy and knowing you were the cause can bring joy to oneself. From my experience, I found that the most selfish greedy people never seem to have any happiness - and they think they can become happier by gaining more and more. But it never works. After the 'basic needs' of life, accumulating more wealth does not adds to ones happiness (There are actual studies on this). So I guess, in a sense, it is for selfish reasons. I think a better question might be:

Why wouldn't a character be a hero?

Edit: If this was posted in the roleplay group, you might get more input.

• AJ
    • 47 posts
    July 24, 2014 4:23 PM EDT

Lol

• 10 posts
    July 24, 2014 6:59 PM EDT

You don't need to start out as a hero. Develop your character into one. They could join the guards just as a normal job; sounds better than being a farmer like your parents, and as a Nord, you love the idea of having an opportunity to test yourself in combat. Being a guard is good justification for this, as opposed to the slightly selfish and dreamy idea of taking off on an adventure, exploring the world. Which seems to be the Tamrielic version of a gap year.

After a bit of time in the guard, perhaps you begin to like the positive attention. You like the valour and accolades of success in battle, or maybe you enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. This carries on for a while, with you working for Jarl and Hold as best you can, until finally, you kill a dragon and become Thane of Whiterun.

As Thane, you're thought of as minor nobility, not some member of the guards or everyman mercenary. It isn't long before you get bored. You long to feel steel in your hand and blood boiling in your veins as you test yourself against a foe. So you leave. Go somewhere that people don't recognise you on sight. And begin again. This time, you pre-empt the boredom, thank the Jarl for the honour, and leave the hold as soon as he grants you the title. But a new idea forms. You're already partway there. Now you aim to repeat it, become thane of all Skyrim. Because you never leave a job unfinished.

• 74 posts
    July 24, 2014 10:26 PM EDT

2nd Formulation of Kant's Categorical Imperative.

• 106 posts
    July 25, 2014 2:16 AM EDT

make their religion a key point. serving the divines. Or maybe make up a lore friendly group of knights who's sole purpose in life is to protect and serve. Theres so much you can do and so much wiggle room in RPing 

• July 25, 2014 1:00 PM EDT

Really keen on this idea, thank you I'll definitely be using it! And to everyone else who contributed too! 

• July 25, 2014 1:27 PM EDT

Well,maybe you could be a nightingale hero.something I made up for my character.see,you theif and assasin but wirship any two gods and are a devote family man/woman.plus are in the civil war.but a their and assasin.