Forums » Elder Scrolls

What does the future hold for the Dragonborn? (or future dragonb

• July 22, 2014 8:39 AM EDT

Hi. Velvet here,

I know its been a while since I've made a discussion but I'm back and will be putting some in.As the title says,what does the future hold for the dragonborn?

I mean,yes I know you could just end his/her story with roleplay.But what would happen with the dragonborn? Will they be summoned again? Will they age or grow old and die?

Of course you can tell what happened with your dragonborn,but what about THE dragonborn?

I'm curious as to what the gods,divines,and daedra have planned for him...

• 1483 posts
    July 22, 2014 8:56 AM EDT

I'm not sure what you mean with "THE dragonborn". If you mean dragonborn powers, Akatosh can simply grant them to someone else, and he doesn't even have to take the powers away from the previous dragonborn. Will there be need for a dragonborn later? Probably yes, Alduin's soul was not absorbed and he is likely to return at some point. Will he/she age or grow old and die? Not if he/she is a vampire 

• July 22, 2014 9:18 AM EDT

I mean the canon dragonborn,I think we will need the dragonborns services later on.hopefully it won't be with dragons.And I always thought that with him having the soul of a dragon he'd live longer 

I meant to reply to your comment.

• 1483 posts
    July 22, 2014 9:20 AM EDT

My canon dragonborn is a female Altmer. Don't think you referred to her 

• July 22, 2014 9:28 AM EDT

I see.

• C2
    • 8 posts
    July 22, 2014 9:43 AM EDT
    Canon in ES is a bit iffy. Bethesda tends to avoid revisiting locations and characters so as not to invalidate any given player's 'headcanon' for lack of a better term. If you're a Kirkbride fan, there's also c0da which dissolves the notion of canon completely.

Tl;Dr We're not likely to see the Last Dragonborn again.
    • 856 posts
    July 22, 2014 9:44 AM EDT

I think in future ES titles the canon DB (who's race & gender will not be revealed - or they'll be conflicting reports) will go some place (a gate, another land, underground, somewhere ?) and never be heard from again.

• 209 posts
    July 22, 2014 9:51 AM EDT
    By far the most likely occurence. If I'm correct, the only time we've seen a previous protaganist is Sheogorath in Skyrim.
    • 21 posts
    July 22, 2014 10:18 AM EDT

Seems very likely, since that happened with the canon Nerevarine.

• 41 posts
    July 22, 2014 10:22 AM EDT

If the Dragonborn does as most people do and complete every quest we've got problems. Because the Dragonborn is bound to nocturnal through the nightingale pact. Sithis will try to claim you for the void. If the Dragonborn is a werewolf hircine will try to take you to the hunting grounds. Yeah, also Tsun promised you would see sovengarde again. The ES protagonists always make so many allegiances' with powerful beings. At the end of the Dragonborn's life there wil probably be struggle between Aedra, Daedra, and Sithis

• July 22, 2014 10:30 AM EDT

Well, since everything I say is automagically turned to canon, the Dragonborn's story keeps going after the DLC's. :P Every other "Dragonborn" on the blog is kidding themselves. :P

• 1441 posts
    July 22, 2014 1:37 PM EDT
    There really won't need to be a Dragonborn until the End Times, hence the DB's title as The Last Dragonborn, emphasis on Last, since Alduin is fated to appear at the end of days
    • 856 posts
    July 22, 2014 2:11 PM EDT

I consider 'Last' as in 'latest'. For example, if three people walked into a room, and Bill walked in third, you would say 'Bill was the last to enter the room.' It does not preclude the fact that someone else might walk in later. Also the 'last' dragonborn, the Player-character, may just refer to the 'last' one predicted on Alduin's wall. This is a gift from Akatosh, so the gift will be bestowed when he deems it necessary.

And Alduin will return again (perhaps again and again) and each time, I imagine, a dragonborn will rise to the occasion.

I do see how 'last' can be interpreted as you have, as well.

• 1441 posts
    July 22, 2014 2:28 PM EDT
    Yeah, and the reason he hasn't stepped into help is, not because he's insane, he coild still have his sanity, but be faking his insanity, and the only reason he hasn't sent any Seducers in is because he didn't wanna have a horde of Daedra enter Tamriel, cause that's what he helped prevent
  • C2
    • 8 posts
    July 23, 2014 12:16 AM EDT
    That's a strange interpretation to say the least. There's a clear significance to the title Last Dragonborn. The Last Dragonborn referring to Aldruin's Wall is better, especially considering the curious case of Pelinal Whitestrake. Not my c0da but interesting thoughts, Red
  • July 25, 2014 6:18 PM EDT

I see what ya mean about the whole canon thing.but there are characters we saw in tes5

Such as the daedra,the hero of kvatch(sheograth)and more(I think)

So we might see the last dragonborn,or even another dragonborn? At most a mention.

• July 25, 2014 6:20 PM EDT

I hope not,that's a dumbed-down-way to ruin his story.

I mean the badass-dragonslaying-masterofguilds-ect.

Disappears? Lame.But we know he's a Nord.

• July 25, 2014 6:20 PM EDT

Yes indeed,and the daedra,I don't think the guilds count.

• July 25, 2014 6:23 PM EDT

No,no,no my dear boy.

You see the dovahkiin is claimed by every aedra,daedra,sithis,ect.

But they won't claim him,why?

Because he was chosen for this,they don't choose random people to become the dragonborn,and if they did(by they I asume the gods,or the divines)they wouldn't just have his soul claimed,he's got a bigger part,a bigger story.

• July 25, 2014 6:26 PM EDT

But is alduin dead,I know somebody said his soul wasn't consumed,and why wouldn't you claim the soul of the almighty world-eater?(that title is a joke)so could the end-of-days be sooner than what we thought? Or is alduin preparing himself for a bigger and (I hope) a better battle?

• 856 posts
    July 25, 2014 6:29 PM EDT

Oh, he or she may even do some heroic act, but BGS will try to make the story match as much as possible with whatever choices we made in ES5, so they will keep the dragonborn's actions vague and mysterious. Even what guild(s) the DB will have conflicting stories; being master of all the guilds is 'silly' at best.

And he or she may be a nord - we don't know.

• July 25, 2014 6:29 PM EDT

*claps slowly with a joker-ish grin*

That is something to be thought of,but Bethesda won't see it that way...

BUT,the question is,will the "last dragonborn" be appointed to the situation again,or will it be another 'last dragonborn'?

• 856 posts
    July 25, 2014 6:32 PM EDT

Dragons don't truly die unless the soul is consumed - that's how they were coming back in ESV. Alduin's soul was not consumed, ergo he will return one day. But it'll probably be hundreds or thousands of years, in other words, we will probably never see his return in an Elder Scrolls game.

• July 26, 2014 6:50 AM EDT

Not to sound a bore, but likely very little. Heroes rarely linger after their Event. Cyrus, of course, is the most notable exception to this, but I find that is for different reasons. For one, your Redguard character was not customisable, you played as a pre-set Cyrus, so it matters less whether he is seen again, whereas people would be less happy in the Dragonborn was prescribed a set race, gender etc. 

• July 27, 2014 4:59 PM EDT

You didn't even sound like a bore.

Didn't understand what the hell you typed.