Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is Tamriel Stagnated in a Etermal Midlle Age

• 133 posts
    February 14, 2012 9:04 AM EST

Is someone else surprised at the total absence of technological progress in Tamriel? I mean, we have been keeping track with this world for more than a quarter of milleniun, since the first TES game Arena, and what changes have we seen, besides the growing political desintegration of the once great Empire. No progress in no area, even in magic. There were a lot of things you could do with spells in past games that you can't do anymore in Skyrim. Were these spells forgoten? or magic abillities somewhat shrinked after the dissolution of the Guild? Why, considering all the alchemichal knowledge availlable, someone does not discover gunpowder? The dwemer had vapor engines, but they seem to be entirely forgotten, why? I think vapor engines seems perfectly inside the reach of Tamriel technical capacity and its utility is beyond doubt, so why no one research it? I think we could have a next game with early gumpowder technology and early vapor machines. I'm a big fan of medieval fantasy, but some progress in a so long period of time would only add to the verisimilitude of TES universe

• 8 posts
    February 14, 2012 9:18 AM EST

As long as TES doesn't turn into steampunk. I'd actually rather see them regress, than go into gunpowder. It's a scary path that could lead to gunswords and emo haircuts. 

• rob
    • 7 posts
    February 14, 2012 9:29 AM EST

to be honest, i would prefer tamriel to regress, instead of, for example, discovering gunpowder, simply because i think that it would take the spirit away from the game :/