Forums » Elder Scrolls

Do you rarely or never fast travel?

• 4 posts
    July 3, 2014 2:36 AM EDT

Fast travel is a must for me. Some people say fast traveling breaks their immersion, but fast travelling doesn't nearly break my immersion as much as dying does. If I were to attempt to play a character with a no fast travel rule, I would quickly get impatient, especially if my objective was on the other side of Skyrim or in the middle of Bumfuck Egypt. Some people might also say that you're missing out on discovering locations by fast traveling, but if I want to explore, I just fast travel somewhere and then run towards undiscovered locations. 

• 856 posts
    July 3, 2014 3:23 AM EDT

I very rarely fast travel. I might fast travel if I am travelling along a path upon which I have just travelled. I also might fast travel (usually to the location I am at - so I actually go no where) if my character becomes stuck in the terrain - or I might just toggle clipping instead.

With the carriage system able to take a character across the country, and more especially with the Hearth Fire DLC carriages, I see very little point in fast travelling.

And yes, dying breaks immersion more for me as well. That's why I play dead is dead.

• 13 posts
    July 3, 2014 5:43 AM EDT

I almost never do, with the carriages there really is no need for fast-travel. If you have a pc, travelling can get quite fun, with survival mods.

• 92 posts
    July 3, 2014 7:53 AM EDT

I mainly use the carriage system and then jog to my destination. Every once in a while I'll fast-travel if I want to complete a quest quickly (mostly, the Dawnguard radiant quests) or anticipate not being able to play for very long.

• Ben
    • 21 posts
    July 3, 2014 5:47 PM EDT

I tried the "dead is dead" approach.  But buggy behavior is the #1 cause of death.  I'll be toying around with a mod and next thing I know I'm dead.  "Hmmm, I wonder what 'expert' is like on deadly dragons??"  1 hour later I'm dying over-and-over on a dragon.

• Ben
    • 21 posts
    July 3, 2014 5:50 PM EDT

I always walk it the first 10 times or so.  After that, it's fast travel.  I will even fast travel somewhere if I've never been on that character with the console if necessary.  There are only so many times you can hoof it up the peak to Highhrothgar, or meander up over the mountains to the north to get to the Volkihar castle.  It wouldn't be so bad, if a pack of wolves, a den of bears, a dragon, some bandits, maybe a necromancer, wouldn't attack me every 20 feet.  And if I bring a horse, invariably I end up on a cliff looking down going "hmm, well crud..." and have to dismount and hoof it the rest of the way.  There are too many things trying to kill me to walk everywhere.  I'd never finish any "real" quests otherwise.

• 21 posts
    July 3, 2014 6:02 PM EDT

I remember when I first started playing Oblivion, I didn't even realize you could fast travel. So later when I discovered that, I did actually use it a lot. Well, every time. However, when I started roleplaying my character in that game, I stopped using fast travel and I haven't used it much since neither in Oblivion nor Skyrim. There are rare instances where I do use fast travel, like whenever I've traveled quite a bit and the game/console decides to crash and I have no save between those events. Or if there's some weird bugginess with the game that require me to fast travel in order to get around it. But otherwise I don't use fast travel, for me it's very immersion breaking.

• 856 posts
    July 3, 2014 6:25 PM EDT

If I die due to a bug, then I don't count that death. For example, I was in a fairly serious fight with a mage, I was badly wounded but my opponent was almost dead. Then this guy runs up to me and the game forces me into conversation..."Hold this for me, blah, blah, blah", all the while the enemy mage is hitting me with spells. I try to get out of the conversation but by the time I did, a final spell killed me. I reloaded my last save.

• 21 posts
    July 3, 2014 6:33 PM EDT

Well, luckily I did found out about fast travel when I read the manual after playing my first session of the game, so it wasn't too bad. But that there... I think I can imagine the feeling of founding out something about a game that I didn't know was there in the beginning.

• 2 posts
    July 3, 2014 9:52 PM EDT
    I tried not to fast travel one time...let's just say I ran out of patience.
    • 5 posts
    July 4, 2014 7:29 AM EDT

I used to all the time, but now with my current character I'm trying to stick with RP so I rarely fast travel. The only times I ever do is if my game is acting up and crashing when I near a settlement,  so I FT directly to the settlement.

• 585 posts
    July 4, 2014 10:44 AM EDT
    I haven't fast travelled for months, because I find it so immersion breaking, and in my opinion it's a lot more enjoyable to walk or ride everywhere. Now, because I'm so used to walking or riding everywhere, I don't even take carriages or boats.
    • 51 posts
    July 6, 2014 10:55 AM EDT

I've been having a lot of trouble sticking with a character lately, so this time I decided not to fast travel for the first time ever, I think.  I'm using the Better Fast Travel mod, which does add more carriages, but also gives the ability to disable fast travel completely, which I've done.  Even though I've gotten a lot less "done" in terms of quests, I'm hitting a lot of dungeons I'd normally forgo since they're "out of the way."  It's pretty awesome, to be honest, and I'm leveling a lot faster relative to my progress in the major storylines.  Someday I'll probably add Frostfall and iNeed to the list, but that will require a LOT more patience.

• 2 posts
    July 6, 2014 2:34 PM EDT

I Fast Travel if I need to/Its way to darn far from where I currently am (IE Windhelm to a Solitude Camp) But I try not to.

• 36 posts
    July 6, 2014 8:33 PM EDT

When I first played Oblivion I had no idea I could fast travel until my friend bought the game and talked about "teleporting" to cites and other places.  After I found out I used fast travel a lot in Oblivion and in Skyrim.  With my latest character though I have been trying to cut down my use of it heavily.  Now I only use it sometimes when I have just been somewhere and I need to go back there or if I know I don't have a lot of time to play.

• 74 posts
    July 7, 2014 2:59 AM EDT

Not only do I not fast travel, I walk instead of jog.

I have also been known to chop 10,000 gold worth of wood in one go before, too.

Something is wrong with me.

• 108 posts
    July 7, 2014 4:06 AM EDT

You seem raised on good old stuff like Ultima. ^_^

• 74 posts
    July 7, 2014 4:14 AM EDT

Never played Ultima. Baldur's Gate was my cup of tea.

Aside from being immersion breaking, fast travel also increases the rate of dragon and vampire attacks (both of which I prefer to be somewhat less common) and makes it hard to be an alchemist character. For what it's worth, I do try to get a horse ASAP.

• 4 posts
    July 7, 2014 7:30 AM EDT

Depends on how far. Not going to jog from Riften to Markarth for example. If I carriage it to the closest main city, then jog from there that about does me. Got to make the most of the time I actually get to play in a day what with work and all.