Forums » Elder Scrolls

Nord Archmage or Telvanni (Dunmer) Archmage?

• 24 posts
    June 27, 2014 7:40 PM EDT

Hey everyone.  I know I made a topic on here before of a slightly similar nature, but I have a question I'm hoping to get your opinions on.

Which of these sounds like it would be an interesting Magic-oriented character to play as and RP as a Dragonborn in Skyrim?  A Nord Mage - who will wear the Archmage Robes with pride and wield necromancy and use his Shouts more often along with his spells, or a Dunmer Mage from House Telvanni, also a practitioner of necromancy but may only prefer a few Dragon Shouts or otherwise rely upon his own power and spells?  The House Telvanni Mage would make use of Ash Spawn (seeing them as Dunmeri spirits bound to bodies of ash), in addition to Soul Cairn summons and reanimated corpses, and would become a Vampire.  The Nord Mage would not be a Vampire or use the Ash Spawn, but make use of Frost, Fire, and Lightning Destruction spells opposed to the Telvanni's Fire and Lightning only, and would use the Soul Cairn summons and reanimation.

My reason for choosing between Nord and Dunmer is - for Nords, Shalidor is a fascinating lore figure to me, and the Draugr and Dragon Cult made me think about Nords and Necromancy.  For the Dunmer, House Telvanni is my favorite House of Morrowind, and their stance on Necromancy is pleasing to me.  Anyways, feel free to reply here and tell me what you think would make a better character to play as.  :)

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 27, 2014 8:26 PM EDT

I've played both characters and both are enjoyable. They've got their ups and downs; Nords fit into the setting better, but the Dunmer just have this air to them that makes playing one so thrilling. My Nord characters always end up feeling boring, but that may be my fault.

Nord mages are fun just because of how different that makes them from the rest. Sometimes too different, but an enchanted suit of armor remedies this. Actually, you may have just given me a great idea. Nords take great pride in their clans and histories. What of a Nord from a line that traces itself back to Shalidor himself? Probably a hundred or more generations between them. My biggest issue with human mages, weird enough, is age. It just feels kinda weird being so short lived and mastering magic on the same level as an elf. I do go Volkihar though, but I like my anti-heroes and grey-and-gray settings.

Telvanni are just a hoot to play. Dunmer are an alien people, Telvanni are alien to the dunmer. Dress in fine clothing, have a tweaked set of morality that isn't evil, but isn't conventionally good either. Racist, classist, and a bit out of it. I established a rule that I'd never use necromancy against fellow dunmer. Other races where beneath them, but a dunmer is blasphemy. Respect the Reclamations, but don't worship divines or daedra. Give offerings as bribes.

• June 27, 2014 8:34 PM EDT
    Can't mages extend their lifespans? Not indefinitely, but longer than a normal human's.
    • 24 posts
    June 27, 2014 9:15 PM EDT

Yeah, it's a hard choice to make - at least for me.  X_X   

Regarding Human mages and their ages - I'm pretty sure, like Asks-Many-Questions suggested, those who practice the arcane arts extend their natural lifespan, and I could imagine practicing necromancy, or even restoration, could help further expand one's life (especially if making use of both forms of magic).  And as for the Shalidor bit - he would be the idol and main source of inspiration for the Nord Mage's decision to become a Mage in his homeland.  Basically, my idea is that he would be the younger son of a clan/family of Nords who are honorable warriors and barbarians that shun and mistrust magic more than most other Nords.  He'd have an older brother - headstrong, powerful in body, cunning, yet very proud and stubborn, who would idolize Ysgramor.  The Nord Mage, the younger brother - on the other hand, would idolize Shalidor, never bother training to use weaponry or armor, and would read and study most of the time.  His interest in magic, including necromancy, could make him a black sheep in his family, and when he mentions that the Stormcloaks and their ideals are wrong, it could help play a part in him having his clan-name taken.  Afterwards, he'd seek training from someone like a Court Wizard from a nearby hold/city, or maybe a former College member that's in one of the towns - help him get enough magical training to be on his way to his future of being in the College of Winterhold, then be mistaken for a Stormcloak after getting caught in the Stormcloak-Legion crossfire and begin his adventure.

As for the Telvanni - yeah, they seem like a very fun sort of mage to play as also.  Their rules (of no rules), each member having some sort of eccentric trait  to their personality, their air of superiority and looking down at other races, and even some of their own fellow Dunmer.  And although you bring up the point that most 'sane' (or as close to it as possible) Telvanni wouldn't dare use necromancy on the remains of other Dunmer - I could imagine some would probably not care who they use that school of magic on, even another Dunmer - not many, but there could always be individuals that may be like that.  

So, yeah - it's a hard  choice.  

• 24 posts
    June 27, 2014 11:56 PM EDT

Anyone else have an opinion?  :)

• 24 posts
    June 28, 2014 2:11 PM EDT

Bump