Forums » General Gaming

Breakable armor and weapons: Love em or hate em?

• 1441 posts
    June 22, 2014 7:53 PM EDT
    So, in a number of video games, weapons and Armor can break, such as those in a number of Bethesda games, aswell as titles like Minecraft or Silent Hill Downpour. How the breakable weapons function after depends. For instance, are they still in your inventory, and can be repaired? Do they just sit they, useless? Or do they vanish upon destruction? Basically, I'm asking is, do you like breakable weapons and armor having the ability to break in games, or do you utterly loathe it? In survival type games, like Minecraft's Survival mode, or ones like DayZ and The Stomping Lands, I like having breakable and armor weapons. It makes a lot of sense, I mean, if you use a weapon a lot, it could dull, and get weather beaten, same with armor, so, it's obviously gonna break given enough times. How bout you guys, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    • 89 posts
    June 22, 2014 9:02 PM EDT

Agreed. It would help if it got in-depth too, with the material of both the weapon and the target having an impact. An Ebony Sword hitting a man clad in leather would bear almost no mark of such a thing, while hammering away with a steel sword at a man in plate armor is going to screw that sword up. That said, weapon repair should be simpler, but add a bit of time consumption to balance it out so you don't just do a one second repair after any fight. 

• 108 posts
    June 23, 2014 8:40 AM EDT

Definitely an interesting idea. A grindstone would finally make sense. Daedric weapons like Dawnbreaker would never break and although they could be outclassed by regular smithed weapons would retain a special status.

• 856 posts
    June 23, 2014 12:51 PM EDT

Exactly Ben.

Of course weapons last longer when well maintained. Weapons found in a wasteland should start off in poor condition (unless they were stored well). Once a weapon is repaired then they should last a good while. Perhaps a character's 'Repair Skill' could be used to help calculate weapon degradation - indicating how well (or poorly) the weapon is cared for. A high skill would have practically no problems with the weapon, while a low skill would cause problems (jamming, misfire, et. al.).

• 75 posts
    September 8, 2014 8:26 PM EDT

I hate the breaking factor, unless the game specifically states it's an important mechanic, like if it's a survival game or if the factor fits the setting of the game e.g. Fallout=Atomic Wasteland, half broken weapons would definitely be a thing. I don't mind if it had the breaking element in the game though, I just want it to be done realistically and not have a weapon break after shooting one bullet.