Forums » General Gaming

Dragon Age Romance Options

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:06 PM EDT

I actually like his romance... but not as much as Zevran... Alastair needs more handholding through everything to guide him.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:10 PM EDT

I get that...but her reason is every bit as good as his. If you live without love, how can you accept it easily or at all really? It doesn't make it meaningless, just tragic. Just because love ends, or changes, or is a struggle doesn't mean that it is meaningless and has no depth of feeling. Not every romance is going to end happily ever after. Some people have the will and desire to change, some don't. 

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:14 PM EDT

Alastair has an immaturity that is kind of at odds with his thoughtfulness, he is a very kind man that needs to grow the hell up in some ways. It's sweet and sad at the same time. I remember my first playthrough, I romanced him and the ending was a more emotional moment for me than any other game.

• 229 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:23 PM EDT

For me, I'm playing a Male Human Noble, and I'm stuck between Morrigan and Leliana. Leliana is an interesting, kind character who has the same class as me and a great background and appears in all three games in addition to being the most picked romance, and has great character development, based on what I've seen of her in the DLC, DA2, and what they've shown of her in Inquistion. But if I choose her, I miss out on the important part Morrigan plays with the child. I could die, but that's not a really good solution, or I could have Alistair do it, but I don't really like that option either. For Morrigan, she's cold, but she's a integral part of the game, she's kinda funny, and I like how she opens up overtime, and will occasionally just act a little girly. However, I'd have to tell Leliana I just want to be friends, and she sounds so sad about it.

I like to have these decisions made, and I'm terrible at choosing. I also don't like making another profile for these games because it kinda ruins the feeling for me. Every other game with romance in it that I've played has usually had a clear choice, one choice, or it didn't matter. For example In Mass Effect, you wouldn't really hurt anyone with your choice, and it didn't really matter because my Shepard died at the end.

Also Bryn, It's more likely that Leliana would have the clap, Morrigan is a virgin who has lived her whole life in the forest while Leliana was a bard for a large part of her life.

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:29 PM EDT

She says herself that it is meaningless until the final moments when she shows a bit of emotion...

To you it is a good reason. not to me.

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:34 PM EDT

And yeah, not every romance ends happily, but it is hard to end happily or sadly when the romance is 98% casual and 2% emotional... it makes me not care about the romance and I give up. I lose interest in being with her and would rather choose to be with someone who is kinder and is more open... leliana.

(I personally have a history with emotionally unstable women, so I know whatever you would probably say in rebuttal... I don't care. I just feel by the time she opens up in the game, the payoff isn't worth it, and she has taken way too long... I know that makes me sound cold, but that's what she is... cold. So I respond coldly.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:36 PM EDT

Morrigan is more interesting. You have to work at to crack that shell, and if you do you get glances at what she's like down deep, but it's pretty deep. She's very pragmatic with a real dark sense of humor. I like those qualities.

Leliana is some foreign whore/assassin who found the Maker.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:38 PM EDT

How can it not be a good reason? If you don't know love, why would you attach any meaning to it before you genuinely start to feel it? It doesn't really make sense that you would, actually. I think comparing the characters to each other is like comparing apples to oranges. Jack, for instance, understood that she had been abused and exploited. Zeveran understood what he was losing. I think that, in a way, Morrigan just felt that her mother was preparing her, showing her how to look out for herself....she didn't realize that a lack of nuturing and love is neglect, and is in fact a form of abuse. She sees that as strength, and why wouldn't she? It got her pretty far. And sorry....when I talk about Dragon Age, I can't seem to shut up.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:45 PM EDT

I am not really trying to convince you to like the romance or anything, I am just explaining why some of us prefer her romance to Leliana's, I think it is just more interesting to some people. What you find meaningless, others find full of meaning. That was my point. Sorry if I got a little long winded. 

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    June 13, 2014 3:54 PM EDT

Leliana is a good romance option, she's kind, sweet and loyal. She also does have good character development. If you want the actual feeling of a more traditional kind of a romance, I would stick with her for sure. Morrigan is more interesting to me, because of her resistance to the idea of traditional romance.

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:13 PM EDT

No, it is because (and I äm quoting this's to everyone I have ever asked why they prefer her (which is about 40+ people)) "she's hot and easy."

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:15 PM EDT

Zevran literally known nothing bout love... he grew up in a whore house where loyalty and caring only lasted as long as you had money... Mohegan understood what love is cause she had read books about it and has seen it from people she spied on... those are lines of dialogue she says!!! And zev still falls in love and accepts it!!!

• 773 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:16 PM EDT

Interesting thread

** sigh **

Gonna have to fire up Dragon Age again.....

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:36 PM EDT

Zeveran had a far better understanding of love than Morrigan, he loved and lost. Morrigan hadn't experienced that yet. Until you experience something for yourself, you don't learn much. Besides I can read about to how to repair an airplane, and I can hear people talk about how to repair an airplane.....that doesn't mean I understand how to repair an airplane. Oh and I can't help it if there are many that don't look past the superficial.

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:42 PM EDT

No... he said he didn't know how he felt about her only that he cared a lot about her... love was still foreign to him...

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:46 PM EDT

Also, while you are right you won't understand how to fix the airplane, you still get a sense of the difficulty, you understand what the repairman must be feeling and you understand the pressure he is going under for such a project... same as if I read a story from the perspective of a swordsman who gets into a lot of fights, I will not know what fighting in a sword battle would be like, but I can guess it would be pretty difficult and so you grasp the sense of danger and the skill this man has... without understanding it, you can know the effect it has on people... which she does... 

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:47 PM EDT

I suddenly want Tom to be found nearly lifeless at the bottom of a river...

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:48 PM EDT

No you don't, you could have loghain do it.

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:49 PM EDT

And you would eventually have to choose one or the other or neither...

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:50 PM EDT

Ok, that comment was childish I admit. But think of it this way... which makes more sense from the human noble's perspective... the kind hearted bard who becomes a close friend of yours and worries for you... or the mage who really doesn't care if you all were to die the next day...

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:55 PM EDT

Sex to me is pointless without actual emotion to it... no lust is not an emotion...

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:55 PM EDT

C'mon, I can do better.

I'd rather romance the Mabari than Leliana.

• June 13, 2014 4:57 PM EDT
    Morrigan because she's named after the Celtic goddess of strife and war. I've never actually played a Dragon Age game :P
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 13, 2014 5:03 PM EDT

That's pretty much what she is. A rogue mage who uses all sorts of black magic. Real strong Darwinistic outlook on life and society, really detached from normal human interaction and emotion, and a really dark sense of humor.

You have a love-hate thing with her. You hate her, yet you kinda love her. Either way, you want to tap it.

• 1913 posts
    June 13, 2014 5:05 PM EDT

No idea why on my tablet you were named Peyer... weird... then use the wicked bitch of the west however you want, I won't miss her :P