Forums » The Lounge

The FIFA World Cup 2014 - Discussion

• 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 5:35 AM EDT
    So the World Cup starts tonight (9pm BST 12/5/14) and I'd like this thread to continue the discussions throughout the tournament so feel free to discuss any game!

A few questions I have for you guys:

Which country are you supporting? (England for me, I am English)

How far do you think your team go? (If we can get out of our group, the quarter finals should be the minimum considering the teams we can meet in the second round are worse than us)

Who do you think will win the World Cup? (I'm going for a Brazil vs Spain final and Brazil to win)

Get posting!

:D
    • 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 6:08 AM EDT
    So according to my world cup score predictions, Holland will win, Argentina second, Portugal third. England will be knocked out in the quarters by Holland.
    • 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 6:11 AM EDT
    And if i win i get £250 so if England don't ewn the world cup, COME ON HOLLAND!
    • 1483 posts
    June 12, 2014 6:19 AM EDT

Since our national team didn't make it into the final stages, England, though I don't have high hopes for them.

Quarter finals at most, I have doubts they can even get out of the group.

Germany will be in top three, I'd say Uruguay can get to the top as well. I hope Brazil doesn't win, hate their playstyle! My choice is Holland

• 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 7:08 AM EDT
    Ha! There's a group of 9 of us who have predicted the scores for every group game, the winner gets £5 from each person.

For the game tonight I have Brazil 3-0 Croatia, fingers crossed.

On a side note, Fred to be top scorer is 22/1 with most bookmakers, get on it!
    • 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 7:51 AM EDT
    Neymar is 4/1 with william hill to score at any time tonight. I have 2-2 haha.
    • 271 posts
    June 12, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
    When not Zlatan & co. Is a part of the party I'm not really sure on which country I shall support.

Luis Van Gaal, the new manager for Manchester United, will lead the dutch team to a high finish though.
    • 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 8:56 AM EDT
    That's a fantastic price, might have to shot 20 on that.

My craziest prediction by far is Ghana 3-3 USA! Don't ask...
    • 108 posts
    June 12, 2014 9:00 AM EDT

Austrians could never dream of competing in the world cup. At least in modern days. :-(

As for England winning: 

• 1483 posts
    June 12, 2014 9:25 AM EDT

LOL 

• 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:03 AM EDT
    Its a shame the world cup is at the centre of all this political controversy in Brazil right now, the issues are very real and it is very understandable why people would demonstrate. Brazil holds special prestige in international football, the likes of which nobody else does.
    • 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:08 AM EDT
    Had another look, its an intrpductory offer, theres probs maximums and other parameters in place. That would be a good game then haha ! My highest scoring game is south korea 3-2 algeria!
    • 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:15 AM EDT
    The question was never 'could England win the Workd Cup?'

I know we can't and won't win it, but at least we'll be there though eh?
    • 360 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:35 AM EDT

Why were my comments deleted? I gave my honest opinion about how I feel about the World Cup. It doesn't belong here right now and I should be able to talk about it, especially since it affects me directly... 

• 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:38 AM EDT
    Yeah your right, new customers only.. :/

Il have to grab my prediction sheet and update you on my predictions every day, it would be interesting to see your predictions to mine.
    • 360 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:40 AM EDT

Yeah, you're right, maybe I'll take it to the moot or something

• 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:42 AM EDT
    Thanks Ben.

I'm sorry but foreign politics isn't my thing. I do understand your frustrations though.

Now football, that is my thing! :D
    • 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:43 AM EDT
    Yeah we can do that ! Sounds good !
    • 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:45 AM EDT
    Wow that last comment came across as rather rude, I apologise.

I do believe that Emmanuel Pogatetz to be the greatest Austrian footballer ever!
    • 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:47 AM EDT
    Back to football discussions, who are the dark horses ? There's always one who does a little better than expected off the radar. Last time around it was probs Ghana, if not for a massive injustice they'd have been in the semis. I say Belgium this time around, quality all over the pitch, no massive stars other than Hazard, but a solid team.
    • 360 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:47 AM EDT

Yeah, sorry for sowing some chaos in your discussion

• 108 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:53 AM EDT

No, you are exactly right. As smaller neighbours we share the same hate love relationship to Germany as Portugal does to Spain. So I am siding with every team other than Germany. :-P

David Alaba from Bayern Munich is Austrian. ^_^

PS: No need to apologise, I am only offended by our national coaches.

• 209 posts
    June 12, 2014 10:55 AM EDT
    Alaba is good, needs another 4 years at the top yet though before he can be considered one of your greatest.
    • 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 11:03 AM EDT
    I was going to mention Alaba but then I remembered Pogatetz because he used to play for my football team. He was an absolute physicopath. Loved him.
    • 49 posts
    June 12, 2014 11:07 AM EDT
    I can certainly see why you think Belgium, they have a better squad then ours!

I'm going with Chile, they are in a tough group but I do think they'll go through in 2nd place ahead of Holland, who's defence is s shambles!