Forums » The Lounge

The FIFA World Cup 2014 - Discussion

• 35 posts
    June 14, 2014 9:36 PM EDT
    I can see Netherlands and Brazil in the final with Netherlands beating Brazil by 1 goal.
  • JD
    • 19 posts
    June 15, 2014 3:56 AM EDT
    The divisions have been questionable already in this World Cup so I think a Brazil vs Argentina final with Brazil getting a lucky decision and winning it, un fortunate about last night though I thought welbeck and sterling were excellent
  • JD
    • 19 posts
    June 15, 2014 3:59 AM EDT
    Does anyone think Costa Rica have a chance of getting out of the group after last night? I don't think they will but if they play all there games like they played against Uruguay I think they could do it
    • 271 posts
    June 15, 2014 4:12 AM EDT
    Congratz to Costa Rica for that amazing game against Uruguay! Ivory coast turning the score against Japan was a real surprise! I think they will be up by the top at the end of this!
    • 49 posts
    June 15, 2014 10:59 AM EDT
    So, England lost 2-1 last night. We didn't deserve to lose mind and maybe we wouldn't have if Rooney had bothered to track back.

Really surprised with the Costa Rica result. We just need to win our remaining group gaemes and we'll quialify.

My predictions for today's games are:

Switzerland 0-0 Ecuador
    France 2-0 Honduras
    Argentina 3-1 Bosnia
  • JD
    • 19 posts
    June 15, 2014 11:06 AM EDT
    I reckon if we keep up the same attacking pace we'll beat uruguay and costa rica
    • 1483 posts
    June 15, 2014 11:06 AM EDT

Someone needs to beat some sense into Rooney. His constant desire of playing a striker hurts both him and the club/national team. His place is in the center of the midfield. 

• 271 posts
    June 15, 2014 11:36 AM EDT
    Really that far down? Maybe not at the very top, but just a step down. Just behind the the top forward.
  • JD
    • 19 posts
    June 15, 2014 11:58 AM EDT
    Rooney was played out of position on the left which is why he underperformed he played sterling attacking mid to neutralise pirlo which completely failed and that's why we lost
    • 1483 posts
    June 15, 2014 2:14 PM EDT
    That far down. He has a vision of the field, long pass technique and ball control technique unmatched by the others but ends up not using those when playing forward. Every team pays extra attention to him and he is forced to constantly go back to recieve the ball - in midfield. That leaves striker position empty and clutters the midfield with three players.
    • 49 posts
    June 15, 2014 4:00 PM EDT
    Centre mid could work for him, he's not one of those players who's going to go past a few defenders and score, he's never been a good dribbler. He does have great vision mind and I'd personally drop Gerard to accommodate Rooney in centre mid.

How Dannny Welback starts a game for England is beyond me. I always said that we should of took Ashley Cole as Baines isn't great at defending and that certainly showed last night.

Our main weak point is Glen Johnson at right back, really poor player and just isn't good enough but we're not blessed with right backs unfortunately.
    • 1483 posts
    June 15, 2014 4:39 PM EDT
    Welbeck is a mystery, the only thing the guy has is the ability to shield the ball but he doesn't get anything from it. This is the best line-up I see for England with current players. I'd pick Baines instead of Cole if only vecause he plays with Jagielka in Everton and they play well together. Also his crosses and free kicks are top class.

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Sterling Gerrard Rooney Lallana

Sturridge Lambert
  • JD
    • 19 posts
    June 15, 2014 5:01 PM EDT
    Personally I would go with

Hart
    Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines
    Gerrard Wishere
    Sterling Rooney Oxlade chamberlain/welbeck
    Sturridge
  • JD
    • 19 posts
    June 15, 2014 5:19 PM EDT
    Also the thing about welbeck is he'll chase down any ball which is a useful skill needed in the England team and if he could brush up on the rest of his game he'd be a world class player
    • 49 posts
    June 15, 2014 7:35 PM EDT
    Wow, I never thought I'd see the words Danny Welbeck and world class in the same sentence.
    • 35 posts
    June 17, 2014 8:02 AM EDT
    Seeing how this would be the most appropriate place to ask this, but who do you think the best player in the competition is at the moment.
    For me it would have to be either Robben or Sterling (because I love Sterling)
    • 1483 posts
    June 17, 2014 8:07 AM EDT

Pirlo, Robben and Muller. Those guys aced their first games. Sterling, Messi and (as much as I hate to admit it) Neymar played quite good as well

• 668 posts
    June 17, 2014 8:20 PM EDT

USA! USA! USA!

Germany will probably win the cup and I would say Germany vs. Nederlands.

Winning the first game helps, but we have a loong way to go to just escape our group.

• June 17, 2014 8:23 PM EDT

*Nederland

• 668 posts
    June 17, 2014 8:26 PM EDT

You aren't going for your own country, Jules?

• June 17, 2014 8:28 PM EDT

Never.

• 668 posts
    June 17, 2014 8:38 PM EDT

Although, Italy...

• June 17, 2014 9:36 PM EDT

Argentina beats Brazil in final 

• 3 posts
    June 18, 2014 3:15 AM EDT

I have no clue of soccer but I like watching the games while having BBQ with friends :)

I'm german but I don't really *want* our team to win. The only thing I really want to see is Netherlands vs Germany. Would be one hell of a night, no matter the outcome :D

• 966 posts
    June 18, 2014 5:06 PM EDT

Bye bye Spain! You won't be missed.