Forums » General Gaming

What sort of RPG player are you?

• 1913 posts
    June 10, 2014 7:04 PM EDT

I don't feel harvest moon is a real thing, or if it is, it isn't really popular...

• 1913 posts
    June 10, 2014 7:05 PM EDT

Oh... it's just a console version of animal crossing... no....

• 409 posts
    June 10, 2014 7:13 PM EDT
    I play DA:O on 360 and have no trouble at all RPing.
    • 1913 posts
    June 10, 2014 7:20 PM EDT

Same

• 360 posts
    June 10, 2014 7:41 PM EDT

ARPG, the Souls series would be the best example. I also enjoy JRPGs such as Bravely Default and Fire Emblem. 

Lots of people seem to have a problem with the Japanese art style, I really don't, too bad though, if you can't get past the art style you'll never see how great these games are.

• 622 posts
    June 10, 2014 7:57 PM EDT

An RPG can't have any fighting whatsoever? That is probably the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

• 1913 posts
    June 10, 2014 8:02 PM EDT

No, I'm saying action includes fights, and about 99% of all RPG's have fights in them, so the term ARPG is pointless. :)

• 622 posts
    June 10, 2014 8:16 PM EDT

I never said ANYTHING about ARPG. But saying an RPG can't be an RPG because it has fighting in it is stupid.

• 622 posts
    June 10, 2014 8:24 PM EDT

"Name me 1 RPG that doesn't count as an action game.... and if you say something like the Sims I will internet pimp slap you cause that is a life simulator, you take no role in the game"

Here he is saying to name on RPG that doesn't have action. I gave him three examples, which he dismissed since they have fighting in them. So therefore action = fighting, which the majority of RPGs have which by his logic, RPGs can't be RPGs if they have action in them

• 108 posts
    June 11, 2014 1:50 AM EDT

Planescape Torment can be solved a lot less violently, if you don't care much for action. Did I mention it being the most immersive game ever? 

I always try to find a different, non violent solution. Mostly because they seem much more elegant.

• 30 posts
    June 11, 2014 2:11 AM EDT

I prefer the original ff tactics from PS1. The FFTA and FFTA2 story is a bit childish to me.

• 1595 posts
    June 13, 2014 7:46 PM EDT

I started off with Choose Your Own Adventure books like Jackson and Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. This led to table top rpgs like Rolemaster, D&D and Dragonlance 5th Age. I briefly played Pendragon but not enough to thoroughly understand it. Still, I'd love to spend more time with it because it forces you to roleplay. Sadly, I have no roleplay friends any more.

My intro to video gaming rpgs was Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for the original Xbox at least I think this was the first western rpg I played. I never could get into JRPGs. When KotOR came out it pretty much fulfilled all my dreams and I grabbed Jade Empire shortly after. It goes without saying that back in the day I was really looking forward to Mass Effect, and here we are many years later and I am still looking forward to Mass Effect