Forums » The Lounge

What time and place do you call home?

• 140 posts
    February 11, 2012 12:51 PM EST

As humans, it is natural to feel nostalgia for times long gone...physical youth, a great vacation, and even perhaps another period of history entirely.  This question is prompted by the recent Woody Allen film, Midnight in Paris.  It centers on a writer who finds himself in Paris with writer's block.  He entertains a decided romance with the figures of the 1920's artist circle (Hemingway, Stein, Picasso, and the like) in Paris itself.  I will not share how the movie develops, but it does raise a question. 

So do any of you entertain a notion that you would have been better suited at a different time and/or place in history, in regards to your talents, personality, or just sheer fascination with it?  Don't worry...I do not have a time machine that would transport you back to that time, so you do not have to worry about what you say...I know we all appreciate antibiotics and certain modern conveniences.

I guess I am asking all of you gamers to let your imagination run wild (you are not used to that, are you?) , and share your thoughts.

I will share mine, but I just have not quite decided yet...

• 80 posts
    February 11, 2012 1:07 PM EST

2100, Washington State--just after the world population crash and the tapering off of fossil fuels as an energy source.  Forests growing back.  Society adapting to locally-based economy (bye-bye Globalization!)  Renewables provide limited electricity, just sufficient to maintain schools, hospitals and government.  Suburbs converted to small-scale family-based farmland.

Or, if you prefer that I look back, I would rather go back at least 14,000 years, American Pacific Northwest, so as to find a place to homestead with no humans in it. That way, I don't have to worry about bandits or war parties. I'll use the time machine to keep up with everyone in the 21st Century on Facebook (but don't expect me to write every day, because I'm going to be busy!)

• 140 posts
    February 11, 2012 1:33 PM EST

Love it, Piper Jo!  I neglected to mention a future scenario, but you are entirely within your rights to go there for an answer to the question!  And if you are going to homestead...well, you are certainly going to be most busy!!  Honestly, ready for some of your future scenario now!