Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Thieving Scumbag challenge

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 6:48 AM EDT

Based on a challenge named 'On The Run' I found while browsing online.

What you need:

A fresh character, level 1-3. 

A 1000+ Bounty in all holds.

Balls of steel.

The challenge: Start the game as per usual, and run through the Helgen nonsense. Turn your difficulty down to novice. Go to each of the holds and run up a high enough bounty that guards will likely attack you on sight. Fast travel back to helgen, turn your difficulty up to legendary and dump all your equipment accept for the rags you had on when you were arrested. No weapons, no money, no potions... nothing but your wits. Now the challenge begins. Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to steal one object from each Jarl's bedroom. Sound simple enough? It really isn't.  No fast travelling is allowed, and you must end the challenge with your character at level six or under. Everything else is fair game.

I tried it out a few times before posting it here. I failed. Badly. But I already have a couple of ideas about how to go about it next time. Vague hint: A certain race springs to mind...

Good luck!  

• 661 posts
    May 28, 2014 6:53 AM EDT

*Clank* 

• 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 6:56 AM EDT

PC users can add bounty via console commands 

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 6:57 AM EDT

Is that the sound of manly testicles I hear? 

I really hope a couple of people try this. For me, reading other's experiences and tactics with videogame challenges is just as much fun as the actual challenges themselves. 

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 6:59 AM EDT

Lucky buggers. I've been running around slashing people with a crappy dagger like some kind of deranged football hooligan. 

• 93 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:34 AM EDT

This sounds extremely entertaining! I hope to try this at some point, though I might sort of ignore the level limit.

• 4 posts
    May 28, 2014 10:57 AM EDT

I think a fun twist would be to make sure you were always fed and slept 8 hours/day/

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:04 PM EDT

Spent the last couple of hours on this with my sneaky Khajiit. Completed the four easier holds - Dawnstar, Falkreath, Morthal and Winterhold - but doing the walled cities is a bitch and a half! Tempted to up the max level limited to ten. Or start again with a high elf. Fury, anyone? 

• 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:12 PM EDT

1) Become a vampire

2) Don't feed for 4 days

3) Perk Stealth with at least two points.

4) Enter at night

5) Distract guards with bow and arrows

6) Or just ditch it all, grab some Luna Moth Wings and Nirnroot, brew a bunch of invisibility potions and sneak past everyone 

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:23 PM EDT

You want me to actively look for a vampire and let them attack me on legendary?! Sod it, it's worth a shot! If I start again with a Altmer and pick up the atronach stone, I will be able to cast a few vampire boosted fury spells as well.  I have a looooong night ahead of me. 

(I suppose I could use invisibility, but I'm trying to do it in a way that doesn't feel cheap)

• 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:27 PM EDT

I use Haemar's Shame. The vampire in the start of the dungeon can't climb those few wooden stairs and all you have to do is to exit and enter the tunnel repeatedly until contracting the disease and then run away like crazy 

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:27 PM EDT

It would be easier to set up on the PC, but I'm a console gamer. 

Alter the rules as you see fit. Be it toning down the difficulty or using fast travel. It's all about having fun, after all.  People tend to forget that gaming is meant to be an entertaining hobby. 

If even one more person tries this and has a good time, the thread would have been worth it for me. 

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:31 PM EDT

Will do, thanks. 

I remember doing a challenge suggested on this site in which you had to make your way through a certain dungeon in a time limit. Can you recall which topic I mean?

I love stuff like this. It's a perfect time out in-between characters, or when the game starts to get stale. 

• 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:39 PM EDT

There were only two, I think. Here they are: Field Test: Armored Stealth and Field Test: Dungeon Run

• 62 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:44 PM EDT

That's the one! Running through the sightless pit. I remember now. 

I'm going to have to give the armored stealth one a go some day, too.