Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dead is Dead on Legendary?

• 6 posts
    May 28, 2014 12:42 AM EDT

Is it possible to play DiD on Legendary from the start? I've tried like 7 times and in the instances I make it out of Helgen just to be butchered by anything I cross swords with. Anybody else masochistic enough to try this or is it not recommended for sanity and/or health?

• 285 posts
    May 28, 2014 1:04 AM EDT
    I was never able to do it, legendary is honestly too brutal when you're just starting out, seeing how you have to hit a bandit 20 times while they can 2-shot you.....
    • 163 posts
    May 28, 2014 3:03 AM EDT
    I don't go near legendary difficulty, fighting like that would only give me something to be angry about.
    • 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 5:41 AM EDT
    Okan-Zeeus here on the blog is doing a Let's Play with Legendary DiD. You should check out his videos. And yes, it's totally possible, just takes a little practice
    • 30 posts
    May 28, 2014 6:22 AM EDT

whatcha guys talking about? Legendary difficulty is super easy for most of my mage builds. Sneak works really well, as is magic casting with a tank. Follower in initial stages is essential i suppose. Heck, i even utilize mods that make changes to enemy AI and combat overhauls to make it more difficult just to give me a challenge.

DiD wise, i would highly advise a mage character with Tank. Super simple, super fun and you get to blast things off. What more can one ask for?

• 6 posts
    May 28, 2014 2:22 PM EDT

Yea, I suppose I could just be coming at it from a wrong angle. I'm a minimalist at heart so I don't prepare for things too well going in. Followers and potions and sneaking just don't quite give me the thrill I get from melee.

However, I did get lucky on my latest attempt and find a ring of minor striking in the first chest in Bleak Falls Barrow, so 15% Two Handed on a nord barb has kinda been stomping most of the guys. Still had to hide like a panzy from Mirmulnir though 

• 118 posts
    May 28, 2014 3:31 PM EDT

I've done a few Legendary DiD while also using survival mods like Frostfall...every single mistake is punishing.  It's interesting how many playstyles and habits completely fall away when a pack of 2-3 wolves will end your game in seconds. 

I had never bothered with heavy armour or the block skill until I played my first DiD character but the paranoia and fear made me grab any piece of armour that was even slightly stronger than what I had and alchemy was never as crucial!  And stealth becomes insanely intense when you're wearing light armour that you know won't save your ass if anything is alerted.  I literally inched my way through Bleak Falls, probably took me an hour to get passed the sleeping Draugr!  Play with a lighting mod and dungeons become bloody terrifying.

Legendary DiD (And even master) is a fantastic challenge, the biggest problem I find is going back to the vanilla game.  Everything is so easy and boring now!

• 6 posts
    May 28, 2014 3:38 PM EDT

Actually, if you have all the addons and/or like mods, I feel Legendary gives new light on the Slice of life style Skyrim. All that rush and adventure eeking at the back of your mind, yet reminding you why you settled down in the first place to escape the constant hazards of that life. My Roleplay has never felt more organic now. I even branched one of my non-DiD characters once I hit 20. One is on legendary still and the other has retired to the life of a hunter in the whiterun plains (cliche, I know). It feels so much more natural now as to why my character isn't a demonlord or barbarian.

• 118 posts
    May 28, 2014 3:57 PM EDT

Absolutely.  I typically run Frostfall, RnD, Realistic Fasttravel (disables FT but adds more carts) and immersion tools like iHud.  Add that to SkyRE and I basically play a Woodelf hunter/alchemist that stays away from a lot of adventure and just tries to survive.

The SkyRE Wayfarer tree is so enjoyable with a DiD character.  Crafting and using traps that can be poisoned is incredibly immersive.  You can drop a poisoned spike trap around a corner and then draw an enemy into it with a few arrows, such joy!

I get more enjoyment from just playing a game of survival (slice of life) style than questing.  I use mods to turn off automatic quest assignments and to delay automatic quests so with 'Alternate start' I never have to start a single quest in the game unless I choose to. 

• 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 4:08 PM EDT

James, I think you're going to love my next build! 

• 856 posts
    May 28, 2014 4:12 PM EDT

I play Master DiD on (practically) every play through. I dislike Legendary though...battles just take too long.

• 6 posts
    May 28, 2014 8:24 PM EDT

So, when I was playing on legendary just now, I actually ended up getting killed because I felt like a n00b for spamming health pots and didn't use enough cause I think they're kind of a cowards way out/ Last Resort at most. Is it really common to have to use such cheap tricks to stay alive or am I just not angling my character right. Getting this vibe that I can't just outfight everything....

• 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 8:29 PM EDT
    If you don't have other options it's not cheap. If you have Restoration, Mora's Boon, Avoid Death, Shadow Warrior, Invisibility + Muffle, yeah, it's a bit cheap :D Important thing to remember, sometimes it's better to run. One who runs today will be able to return tomorrow, stronger.
    • 6 posts
    May 28, 2014 8:34 PM EDT

Yea, but running doesn't do me much good when they follow behind me, faster than I'm running lol. But in all seriousness it's hard to play that way for me. I really do feel I've made a weak character when I can't outfight a bandit (usually chief is what gets me), so it's not a satisfying win for me cause I wasn't really stronger than him, I just have an addiction to restoratives. Just lost another barb in the brief time since I commented too. Helgen is pretty hard when they ignore hadvar entirely.

• 1483 posts
    May 28, 2014 8:41 PM EDT
    Get a Staff of Paralysis from Snapleg Cave. Helps a ton! :) Also, I have not met an enemy I can't outrun ;) Thing about DiD is that you should not think of yourself as a badass who can slay bandit camps single-handedly :D