Forums » The Lounge

New Group Idea

• 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:10 PM EDT

In case anybody finds this discussion, the group has already been created. It is "Elder Scrolls Classics" on the Groups Page.

I came up with a new group idea- what if there was a group dedicated to the previous games in the Elder Scrolls series? It would be a combination of some of the Skyrim groups, and would really focus in on the gameplay aspects of these games; while lore and other general topics are covered by the current Blog model, the gameplay of these games has been untouched so far. This is what the group will cover, but it may grow after creation: -Character Builds: this is pretty self-explanatory. It will work very similarly to the Skyrim one, but perks will obviously be replaced by class.
    -Quest Help: basically a Q&A section for game help. For instance, somebody ran into that damn questgiver in Morrowind that sends you in the wrong direction... This will also be the place for the kinds of discussions like "Best Residence in Morrowind".
    -Tips and Tricks: works in conjunction with the Character Build discussions. This will be for any exploits, secrets, or other beneficial info about the games.
    -Modding: only applicable to Morrowind and Oblivion (although, if you can mod the earlier games, feel free to post about it). This will be for mod testing help, modding collaboration, possibly mod spotlights, and other mod-related things.
    -Debate: this will be the section of the group of everything related to debates. In this section, you guys will post things like "Best Daggerfall Vampire Bloodline".
    -Blogs: this section will consist mostly of playthroughs, speedruns, and other cool stuff. This is also pretty self-explanatory.

Of course, different discussions would be separated by prefix. For instance, an Oblivion character build would be called something like "OB Character Build: ___", where a Daggerfall page on exploits might be "DF Exploit: ___". I think that this would draw in the TES veterans, and would be one of the few places where these older games are actively discussed.
    What are your thoughts on this? Just to provide a numerical value for the interest in this idea, please like this page if you want the group to be created. Even if you have an issue with the popularity of this concept, please like the page- we will never get a good estimate of the popularity unless you like it.

• 661 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:12 PM EDT
    I enjoy seeing things about this game series. I'd like to see what the other games were like from someone elses Viewpoint. As I have never played them.
    • 856 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:15 PM EDT

This has been suggested before, but it didn't get much interest. However, if enough people are interested, then Emer will create the group.

• 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:23 PM EDT
    That's good. Is there a good way to stir up interest? What if we count the likes that this page collects?
    • 661 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:27 PM EDT
    Not enough old gamers with beards to help you on that friend. You do know how old these games are right?
    • 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:41 PM EDT
    It won't be the most popular group by any stretch of the imagination, but I am sure that enough people still play Morrowind and Oblivion to deserve some attention.
    • 1441 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:50 PM EDT
    What about Fallow aswell, a Fallout Group for builds.
    • 622 posts
    May 18, 2014 4:59 PM EDT
    Last time I checked, Fallout wasn't an Elder Scrolls game
    • 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
    Just wondering, what should I add to this idea to make it appeal to the new TES players?
    • 1441 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
    It still is made buy BethSoft
    • 622 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:01 PM EDT
    Eh, probably not a good idea. We get plenty of older fans here too, no need for new groups when there's already a place for those types of discussions.
    • 1483 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:02 PM EDT

I'm not sure man, I started playing TES from Skyrim and I'm not really interested in playing the older games now. Maybe lore, but that's covered by another group. 

• 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:04 PM EDT
    Okay. However, there is no place to post things specific to the older games (such as character builds).
    • 622 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:08 PM EDT
    But it's not an Elder Scrolls game. Does that mean we should make groups for Betheda's early sport games?
    • 773 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:10 PM EDT

With all due respect, this has been suggested before - and more than once!

Personally, I don't mind the idea and would find it interesting myself, but there never seems to be anywhere near enough interest

But if there's a slew of people out there interested, by all means talk it up on this thread and I'm sure something can be done.

• 622 posts
    May 18, 2014 5:11 PM EDT
    There isn't any character builds for the older games since they had custom classes.

And there is. It's called The Elder Scrolls Discussion forum.
    • 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 6:02 PM EDT
    That's true, but a group will give these games the attention they deserve. The discussion page is, from my experience, a combination of lore discussions and Skyrim discussions, while a group would really emphasize the content of the older games.
    On the topic of builds, there are many things that would be possible. Assuming it follows the same quality control structure as the Skyrim build group, we could just substitute the perks for the class.
    • 622 posts
    May 18, 2014 6:11 PM EDT

Like Paul said, the idea has been suggested before and probably won't happen. The older games are great, don't get me wrong, but they have been talked about and had their moments.

• 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 6:20 PM EDT
    You're right. I just figured that the amount of different requests for this group meant that somebody else has to be interested in this.
    • 557 posts
    May 18, 2014 7:01 PM EDT

Like Paul, I am not against the idea. However, there has never been enough interest in this type of group for the actual group to be made. 

If that is no longer the case, and enough people are interested in the group, then I would be more than happy to create it! Sadly, I do not foresee that happening.

• 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 7:47 PM EDT
    How many people would you call "enough"? Also, do you count Paul and yourself among that crowd, or not?
    • 249 posts
    May 18, 2014 11:23 PM EDT
    I definitely support this idea and have written up Morrowind builds before. Actually, Henson's Dragoon is incredible in Morrowind!

My only problem is that Skyrim still holds my interest over the old games so I probably wouldn't post any pre-Skyrim content at the moment.
    • 87 posts
    May 18, 2014 11:49 PM EDT
    If you support this idea, make sure to like the page. Otherwise, it may never happen.
    • 87 posts
    May 20, 2014 4:14 PM EDT

These games really aren't too old. In fact, the latest one was only eight years ago (which may sound old, but it really isn't- Skyrim is already three years old).

• 87 posts
    May 20, 2014 9:17 PM EDT

That is actually completely fine- you would fit right in with this group, because it is going to be aimed at TES newcomers as well, assuming they want to know stuff about/play the older games.