Forums » Elder Scrolls

Tips on master difficulty

• 163 posts
    May 15, 2014 7:34 AM EDT

In light of the LP's, I have recently started playing on master difficulty, but it is kind of difficult to get used to.
    So I was wondering if any veteran players had and tips on how to tackle master difficulty(a slightly modified version allowing you to deal the same damage you did at adept).
    Thanks 

• 1483 posts
    May 15, 2014 7:38 AM EDT

Know when to run and when to fight. If you see a group of 2-3 two-handed bandits you may want to avoid it, or to make them split out to take them out one by one. Archers and mages are dangerous, go for them first when it's possible. Oh, and beware of bears 

• 622 posts
    May 15, 2014 7:45 AM EDT

Having just started on Legendary (modified) with Hardcore Frostfall, I know how you feel! It's hard getting used to it, despite me playing on Master for a bit.

Stick to the roads.
    Don't go off road.
    Giants are evil.
    Wolves will maul you.
    A bandit camp at Level 3? Don't even bother.
    Mages are also evil.
    Guards are lifesavers.
    Healing is your friend.
    Running is always an option.

• 1483 posts
    May 15, 2014 8:45 AM EDT

I'd argue that what you suggest is more viable in endgame and not on the lower levels where the most trouble is. I was destroying enemies without any glitches and only one crafting skill without any need for healing with my build at level 43. I think the game is perfectly viable without focusing on many crafting skills, one is usually quite enough. Besides, many found items are more powerful than those you can enchant (without loops)

• 163 posts
    May 15, 2014 8:48 AM EDT

Thanks, I learnt about 2handers the hard way, Helgan was special.

• 1483 posts
    May 15, 2014 9:08 AM EDT

Hmm, yes, agreed, I did not count powerleveling. Personally, I prefer to play the game without powerleveling (because I can just use console to save time if I want) and with that in mind, lower levels are 1-25 for me. After that the character is usually ready to face the toughest enemies. As endgame I see the point when you have nearly done what you wanted with the character, it usually happens around level 40 for me. 

Without powerleveling focus on crafting will leave you vulnerable to the leveled enemies because of not corresponding leveling rates of the skills and enemy level progression 

Powerleveling removes the meaning of low level and endgame entirely, it's like you start already ready to kick ass right out of Helgen. 

• 163 posts
    May 15, 2014 11:36 AM EDT

Hmm so far so good, though as I use duel running is not always an option (enemies will flank you)
    Btw are you using the same difficulty mod as Okan? Because I have been trying to find out how to modify that one.

• 163 posts
    May 15, 2014 12:51 PM EDT

I am going to try this out, thanks Ben.

• 622 posts
    May 15, 2014 5:01 PM EDT
    No, Im using a different one called Tweeak Legendary Difficulty. It allows you to do the tweaking in game.
    • 163 posts
    May 15, 2014 5:59 PM EDT

Ah ill check it out.