Forums » Elder Scrolls

Just a thought.

• 9 posts
    May 13, 2014 4:17 AM EDT

I wonder that are there any tribes of Nords, like the Skaal in Solstheim? I wonder that there might be some near the Northern coast of Skyrim, or in the hills of Reach.(I know Reach is filled with Forsworn)
    I wonder if there are Nordic tribes around. That idea is very interesting to me.

• 622 posts
    May 13, 2014 4:20 AM EDT
    I think most of the tribes have evolved into the Nordic clans we see today, like the Battle-Borns
    • 9 posts
    May 13, 2014 9:05 AM EDT

But still, in places like the Reach, or North Skyrim as mentioned, have a great possibility of Tribal Populations, as the Skaal have also been there, even after the foundation of Raven Rock.
    Still you are very right about Battle-Borns and Grey-Manes

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    May 13, 2014 2:26 PM EDT

I don't think there are Nordic tribes around because I have never seen any other than the Skaal. Pretty much all of the Nords of Skyrim have adopted the customs and religion of the Empire, as evidenced by their reverence for the Divines and for Talos, who was the founder of the Empire. Despite all the "Skyrim for the Nords" talk, they've been a part of the Empire for so long that just about every vestige of the old ways of Atmoran culture has been eclipsed by a more civilized and modern society

• 622 posts
    May 13, 2014 2:39 PM EDT
    You also have to understand that isolation plays a part in the Skaal's ability to stay like they are. It would be hard to stay like that if they were surrounded by the Empire's customs
    • 1 posts
    May 13, 2014 2:40 PM EDT

Yeah the Nords of Skyrim waited a little to long for their rebellion

• 149 posts
    May 13, 2014 3:12 PM EDT

There are Nordic clans (i.e. Grey Mane, Battle Born, Snow Shod), though I believe these are merely family lines. Still, I imagine many of them stretch back far in time, to when the first settlers from Atmora came to Tamriel. Their societies probably began as small settlements, though that's not quite the same as a tribe, at least in the sense you are implying.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    May 13, 2014 11:27 PM EDT

Well, you're forgetting that Tiber Septim was a Nord, they never really rebelled because in a certain sense, it was an empire of their own creation back in a time when there wasn't much distinction between Nords and Imperials.

• 9 posts
    May 14, 2014 6:05 AM EDT

That is a very true point, but even in Skyrim, there are so many places that are literally isolated by the Imperial influence, like the deep hills of the Reach or the stretch between Winterhold and Dawnstar.