Forums » The Lounge

The Character Build Deathmatch

• 739 posts
    May 3, 2014 1:38 PM EDT

Welcome to the Character Build Deathmatch!

Each week 6 builds from the dark bowels of the Bloodworks are belched up and pitted against each other in a 24 hour battle for survival. The winner gets to live to fight another day, the losers however are served instant death.

This week the following 6 builds have been dragged into the arena for your entertainment!

The Magick Archer by Jacob Carshield
    Death by Roman King
    The Alhazred by Atesaki

Any build that scrapes 20 likes during the course of the match will progress into the next rank and will naturally escape death.

Have fun reading and don't forget to vote in the poll for your favourite!

• 739 posts
    May 3, 2014 1:45 PM EDT

Usually I select builds with very few comments/likes...

I decided to switch it up this week and select the builds with the most comments...and here they all are.

• 360 posts
    May 3, 2014 1:46 PM EDT

Magick Archer is one of the classes in Dragon's Dogma, yes it is spelled like that

• 163 posts
    May 3, 2014 2:28 PM EDT

Pity that kiroto build still preserves, would have been satisfying to see it here.

• 108 posts
    May 3, 2014 3:18 PM EDT

The Vaermina build has a nice theme, but needs some work.

• 485 posts
    May 3, 2014 11:53 PM EDT
    Whose kiroto?
    • 622 posts
    May 4, 2014 12:02 AM EDT
    The Feminist Serial Killer? Good gossip, Mason, kill it with fire!

I vote for Death, as while not presented quite right it sounds very interesting.
  • May 4, 2014 12:57 AM EDT

Some anime character.

• 163 posts
    May 4, 2014 2:08 AM EDT

Its from this thing, like I said, don't know how the heck it still exists (http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics/skyrim-build-kirito-the-black-swordsman)

• 163 posts
    May 4, 2014 2:09 AM EDT

At the very least the guy should change the name, right now it sounds like a bad sitcom.

• 268 posts
    May 4, 2014 3:27 AM EDT
    Not really sure about these...

The Magick Archer definitely had the most potential in my book, but the author went nuts and snapped at everyone who gave him advice, before deleting his account. It would've made quite a good build with a bit more care.

Death is pretty good but seems like one of those very generic evil mage/necromancer builds.

Feminist Serial Killer... I think that says it all.

Alhazred seems alright. Quite short, and could do with some fleshing out which probably won't happen since the author's not around.

Worshipper of Vaermina has potential as well, but once again the author is long gone with no promise of returning to fix it up a little.

Death Knight of Mehrunes Dagon is the same as practically every other death knight build on the blog, and look extremely OP.

All in all, not really sure I want to vote this time. I would have gone for the archer, since I already gave that a like in its beginning stages when it still had pictures, but there's no way for the author to fix it up after "getting his 42 password account hacked" and having a hacker make a build, have a rage when it wasn't accepted and delete his account.

So once again I'll hold out for a "Kill them all!" button :D
    • 773 posts
    May 4, 2014 3:40 AM EDT

The big problem with all of these is the presentation, which is severely lacking across the board 

As I always vote for something, I went for the 'Feminist Serial Killer' - the crazy name alone is worth something lol. I don't expect it survive the axe though...

• 485 posts
    May 4, 2014 4:20 AM EDT

Quite a crazy name indeed, but I think the meaning of feminism might be lost on the build's author. 

• 485 posts
    May 4, 2014 4:24 AM EDT

Dude everybody would vote kill em all. 

• 56 posts
    May 4, 2014 4:58 AM EDT
    If there's a "Kill 'em all!" button, that means if a build doesnt rank up within a week, he's dead. And with Bloodworks purged clean, Mason would probably have Deathmatches on Recognized.

Which may not be so bad, esp if the author's bailed ages ago.
    • 268 posts
    May 4, 2014 7:47 AM EDT
    Good point.
    • 2 posts
    May 4, 2014 11:47 AM EDT
    Hmmm... Hey mason? "Kill 'em all!" Button? Please?
    • 87 posts
    May 4, 2014 2:45 PM EDT

Though I easily would have pressed a "Kill 'em All!" button, I had to vote for Roman King's Death. Though it is somewhat generic in terms of gameplay, I find that the roleplay is done relatively well. It is also the only build on this list that doesn't suffer from extreme grammar trouble. I understand that some people are not native English speakers, but that does not mean that they couldn't have asked for a proofreader on the Help Desk. Here are my thoughts on the other builds:

The Magick Archer: I feel as if this build was trying to cram a square peg into a round hole by basing it so heavily on Dragon's Dogma. The port of a Dragon's Dogma build was done much better than some of the others (notably the anime ones), but I think that a Skyrim build has to be based around Skyrim with inspirations from other sources. Another problem I have here is the fact that its author deleted his account; it is a subpar build with no hope of improvement.

The Feminist Serial Killer: Honestly, I had a hard time looking past the name of this build. "Feminist Serial Killer" is not very appealing to anybody for a build- especially when its goal seems to be mass murder of a gender. The presentation was equally bad, and mad the build seem as if it was created to show off slutty pictures of animated women. The FSK's "special" moves were garbage, one of them literally being the collection of three perks.

The Alhared: This build is an interesting case; I appreciate the fact that it is trying to be based around Lovecraft, but it ultimately fails to do so in a reasonable fashion. The author chose a build that uses everything in Skyrim that has to do with Lovecraft, to create what appears to be a messy, confused build. Aside from the terrible presentation, there is no perk layout of this build. Perks are the key aspect of any build, because they are the only way anybody could actually BUILD a character.

The Worshipper of Vaermina:Read this, and tell me why it should still be on the site: "Illusion for Crowd Control only O unless you wanna Troll your enemy's by forcing them to attack one and anther And To Troll City's RPin Make sure if you do cast mayhem in city's you laugh at them while they kill them selfs it's the will of Vearmin"

Death Knight of the Mehrunes Dagon: Any build that reminds me this much of Ponty's Paladin of Molag Bal is a problem. This is an overpowered build, using all Daedric. It has spelling mistakes galore. The pictures are low quality, and have UI still present; the last picture is not even a screenshot, but a picture of the monitor. The special moves are pointless, with all of them being "Cause uber damge becuse enemys dieeeee". The build itself is a strange mix of everything overpowered in Skyrim. What isn't wrong with this picture?

• 485 posts
    May 4, 2014 5:04 PM EDT
    I tried helping the guy who wrote the worshiper of vaermina build with his spelling and grammar. It took some work just deciphering the backstory into what it is now. I tried offering pointers and artwork and what not but he impatiently slapped shit on the page rather than wait for the grammatical flaws to be fixed in one go. The build could have been much better than what it is now had the author cared enough.
    • 739 posts
    May 5, 2014 10:16 AM EDT

Deathmatch has ended!

Death by Roman King was the winner and has progressed to recognized...

The rest failed to reach 20 likes and have been removed!

• 1913 posts
    May 5, 2014 10:28 AM EDT
    The feminist serial killer has been killed :P
    • 3 posts
    May 5, 2014 3:46 PM EDT

When is the next death match?

• 622 posts
    May 5, 2014 6:01 PM EDT
    In two weeks, I believe.
    • 773 posts
    May 5, 2014 6:15 PM EDT
    It usually every weekend isn't it?