Forums » General Gaming

What makes a great game for you?

• May 2, 2014 2:47 PM EDT

What criteria is most important to you in a video game?

Usually I look for new gameplay mechanics. I think that what made me like my favourite games of all time was this aspect. For example, the new 3D gameplay in Super Mario 64 and its various combat/utility mechanics, as well as Portal's unique teleport gameplay.

I also like it in games when there's a feel of achievement for reaching each area. I dislike it when the game is linear or entirely accessible right off the bat. It really gives a sense of progressive difficulty when in Mario 64, Rayman, GTA, Runescape or even Need for Speed you have to unlock one area after the other. It gives each area more important and makes them memorable.

I saw some of that in the Dragonborn DLC (having to take down those shrines one after the other before defeating Miraak) and was quite happy about it.

What about you guys?

• 163 posts
    May 2, 2014 2:56 PM EDT

Its not that hard to obtain, I got what I needed from coolrom, held down the fort when I didn't have skyrim.

• 253 posts
    May 2, 2014 2:57 PM EDT
    For me it is all about having a replayable game. Whether it is an online game with new things to unlock and play, or an open world game that allows a ton of freedom, or a fun goofy game that you and your buddies always play. The game has to offer something that makes me want to play it a lot. I buy very few games, so when I spend my money on something it has to be able to entertain me for months.
    • 1217 posts
    May 2, 2014 2:58 PM EDT

Story, character, and music. I'll sit through just about anything if it does these well.

• 1217 posts
    May 2, 2014 3:00 PM EDT

The creativity is what makes Skyrim work for me. If not for that, I probably wouldn't enjoy it much.

• May 2, 2014 4:20 PM EDT

I had that feeling too, I really like to play my own characters ever since I've been into MMOs or RPGs. It's kind of hard to let it go after that

• May 3, 2014 5:28 AM EDT
    A great game for me is a game where I can do what I want, when I want to. I just love open-world games with a great background and a lot of lore! Also, I want to be able to customize my character 100 %! Even in skyrim, I feel like it could be better :) and last but not least, I want my actions to have an impact on the world!
    • 56 posts
    May 3, 2014 8:06 AM EDT
    With the exception of Skyrim, I'm really into stealth games. So superb stealth mechanics is a major factor for me. Leaving me a sense of wanting to play it again and again, and eager for the next installment is another.

I have a very limited pool of games, and mostly from one genre, so as long as those are met, its a great game for me.