Forums » The Lounge

Best book ever read

• April 30, 2014 6:28 PM EDT

Hey guys

Here I am again, with yet another question!

What is the best book you have ever read and why?

Mine would have to be If this is a man by Primo Levi.

the book is about his experiences in Auschwitz, in the second world war, and I just think it is written in such a pleasant way, but he still keeps you thinking about the fact that it really happened. It was one of the first real 'adult books' I've ever read, and it really sparked my interest!

So tell me what and why, or why you don't like reading. :)

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 30, 2014 6:39 PM EDT

Lord of the Rings. Boom, end of conversation. Got everything you could want with a combination of traditional Anglo-Saxon/Germanic storytelling and modern literature.

• April 30, 2014 9:47 PM EDT

Did we just become best friends? 

• April 30, 2014 9:50 PM EDT

According to that logic you should be best friends with almost everyone with a bit of sense

• 1441 posts
    April 30, 2014 10:41 PM EDT
    Oh so many, Night by Elie Wiesel, A Song of Fire and Ice, Dune, Harry Potter, LOTR, Percy Jackson, Hunger Games, The Shadow Children series, etc.
  • May 1, 2014 2:59 AM EDT

haha, I do have to admit, I have more than once read all night just because I could not put those books down!

• May 1, 2014 3:01 AM EDT

I have to agree with A song of Fire and Ice! I am just now finishing the second book and I cannot stop reading in it!

I've also read all the Harry Potter books, all the hunger games books, but I have just grown out of those, I think.

The rest of those books I do not know, but I am guessing they are amso fantasy books?

• 4 posts
    May 13, 2014 11:05 AM EDT

My favorite is called the Iron Druid series.  Its kinda hard to explain, but I kept me interested all the way through. Also, there is a TALKING DOG!!! He is also one of the funniest characters in the series

• May 13, 2014 11:35 AM EDT

Talking dogs make everything better, don't they?!

I actually know the series :) never read it all trough though due to free time being kind of limited :)

• 4 posts
    May 13, 2014 11:45 AM EDT

this summer, if you have the time, read them.  I might read them again, because they might help me with my writings and even give me some playstyle ideas for when I am playing Skyrim.  It reminds me of Skyrim, except in a more modern time.  Its also an excellent read.

• 41 posts
    May 13, 2014 1:05 PM EDT
    I recently finished a series called "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel". It's amazing! It's about twins who meet an immortal human, which completely turns their lives upside-down. They have to learn magic in order to save the world, for they are the Gold and Silver...
    I highly reccomend it to everyone!
    • 185 posts
    May 13, 2014 1:09 PM EDT
    I really liked Ranger's apprentice and The Name Of The Wind, althought I'm now reading ASOIAF and It's awesome!
  • May 13, 2014 3:24 PM EDT

Because you like them so much, I will read them this summer!

• May 13, 2014 3:25 PM EDT

The game of thrones books are just the best, aren't they?! I've read only the first two but I am putting all my free time in reading the other books :)

• May 13, 2014 3:25 PM EDT

the other books, I haven't heard of, but I will look them up right now :)

• May 13, 2014 3:26 PM EDT

Hmmm, I recognise the title, but I can't remember that I've actually read the books :) I will look into it later!

• 4 posts
    May 13, 2014 3:34 PM EDT
    That's a really good series. I haven't finished it though
    • 4 posts
    May 13, 2014 3:38 PM EDT
    Rangers Apprentice is good.
    • 185 posts
    May 13, 2014 3:44 PM EDT

I once based an character on "The Name Of The Wind" - In the book, the things have a "True" Name, and those who know it can control then with mastery, The "True" names were shouts.

• 11 posts
    May 13, 2014 3:48 PM EDT

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files is really good, if you like detective noir mixed with Urban Fantasy. Butcher's other, finished, series, Codex Alera is good too. Roman Legion mixed with Elemental powers, a good read.    

• 585 posts
    May 13, 2014 4:21 PM EDT
    This is probably going to be the most different book from the others, but my favourite book is actually Wonder. It's a story about a massively deformed 10ish year old, and how he struggles to get through school and actually become really popular.
    I would really recommend it for anyone who wants an easy but powerful read, or if you want something more serious.
    • 47 posts
    May 16, 2014 8:23 PM EDT

"The Road", by Cormac McCarthy. A book that left me deeply shaken. I can only compare it to the first time I read "The Drowned And The Saved", another of Levi's magnificent series, but if anything The Road hit even harder. It is a mercilessly grim read, but in the end it is a story of love and sacrifice not against the odds, but when there aren't even any odds at all - the game is already over, and you lost. Nothing else I have ever read has affected me the same way. I read Levi's Camp books and If Not Now, When? every year, but I doubt I will ever read The Road again. It's devastating.

• 88 posts
    May 16, 2014 9:22 PM EDT
    I am a big fan of Percy Jackson and Eragon, but for some reason they made them 99999999x worst in the movies
  • May 16, 2014 11:22 PM EDT

Inheritance Cycle ftw. I once read the series and then started over without a pause of more than a few hours. I have read the whole series 5 times and the first book 7.

• 13 posts
    May 17, 2014 12:15 AM EDT

There are so many! ASOIAF, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and The Vampire Chronicles being a few. I've also started getting into Stephen King's books, although I've barely made a dent because he has so many.