Forums » Elder Scrolls

ESO Release Impressions?

• 56 posts
    April 26, 2014 11:04 AM EDT
    I've recently watched AngryJoe's review of ESO. I'm subscribed to his channel for quite a while now, and while we don't agree with our preferred genres (I love stealth, he does not), I agree with almost everything that we both like. His review covers release bug/glitch/crashes. Though I havent played it, from what Ive seen on his video, Im inclined to agree with him.

Ive had my share of MMOs as well. And I have never experienced the level of broken things that I saw in his review. Sure, there are the bugged quests, locations and such, but less known game devs have done better jobs than what ZO did. Most bugs in other games will only reveal themselves when the player reaches the level cap. And even those are minor ones at best.

And for a game that supposedly encourages exploration, ESO's got to be the one who sets the record on the most expensive regular mounts, at least compared to the games Ive played.

Now, Im afraid I might be biased in my opinions, so Im gonna ask you guys who are playing it now. What do you think of it? And for those who are MMO players, what do you think of it compared to other MMOs youve played?

As with MMOs, things like these get fixed as soon as possible. I just hope that even after theyre done, its still worth the $15/month, esp for non-hardcore players.
    • 1441 posts
    April 26, 2014 11:16 AM EDT
    I've played WOW, Eve Online, DC Universe Online, RIFT, ext. Thankfully, they're allowing mods (or add-ons), to be included to tweak the games graphics. I mean, the graphics don't look really ey popping. And yeah, the mounts are dang expensive. Also, yeah. We have to pay 60 up front, then 15 monthly, thankfully, for XBOXOne players, the fee for LIVE is removed for ESO
    • 56 posts
    April 26, 2014 11:34 AM EDT
    Oh. You can have mods for Xbox?
    • 1441 posts
    April 26, 2014 11:36 AM EDT
    With Modio and a USB
    • 285 posts
    April 26, 2014 12:16 PM EDT
    But if Mocrosoft finds out, your account will be banned.
    • 1441 posts
    April 26, 2014 12:24 PM EDT
    Well, for ESo, Zenimax Is allowing players to put "Add-Ons" (mods that enchanted graphics and the like),
    • 773 posts
    April 26, 2014 12:42 PM EDT

In all honesty, I have mixed feelings so far.

I'm far from an MMO veteran - I've only played WoW. Basically I got ESO because, when all is said and done, it is ESO.

There are some really good things - the story telling is excellent, the voice acting is good, and I like the way that you can 'build' your character. The graphics are OK - not brilliant, but decent enough. I actually haven't found any bugged quests or glitches yet, so thats not an issue for me at any rate.

The biggest problem for me is the immersion breaking caused by the other players. It's the little things really - you meet some dude who tells you that he has been 'waiting for a long time for a hero to come along' when its blindingly obvious that at least half a dozen other people are simultaneously having that exact same conversation with him. I realise there is probably no way around that, because its an MMO after all.

Perhaps I'm just not suited to MMOs? I dunno, I'll give it longer and see how I go.

• 1441 posts
    April 26, 2014 1:43 PM EDT
    What if they were visible if they were your friends, or in your guild? Then you could amass this horse charge with all your buddies, it would look badass. Imagine a battalion of mounted knights storming a keep.
    • 56 posts
    April 27, 2014 1:30 AM EDT
    Maybe its just becasuse you (I mean all TES fans) were so used on being the only hero on Nirn. But now, you are one among thousands.

I think ultimately ESO's problem is that its very hard to combine the TES feeling with the MMO feeling without them clashing every now and then. Its hard to find middle ground between the TES fan and the MMO fan.

Graphics I suppose is understandable. They wanted to have almost everyone to be able to get their hands on it. Obviously not everyone has that godlike hardware, so they made compromises on that. And if youve spent a bazillion hours on Skyrim, you'd expect the next installment, though not single player, improve on its graphics. So I think thats what put people off on graphics. But TERA Online has no such compromises. The graphics are awesome, and combine with cool armor and sexy females its just... Wow. In that game you either have awesome hardware, or you dont. And I think it was p2p as well. Its not available on my region, I just watched it on Joe's review.

WoW is your typical MMO. In some ways it has set the standard for MMOs in its early years. So, combining the MMO elements with the open world exploration which was always thel pride of TES... its very hard to reconcile those two, and the dissapointment of a lot of players is certainly not without merit.
    • 622 posts
    April 27, 2014 1:48 AM EDT
    Only for PC. you still can't mod on console.